Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Stanley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.303-304
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
STANLEY is a township and chapelry, in the parish, of Spondon, three-quarters of a mile south-west from the West Hallam station of the Great Northern railway, 6 north-east from Derby and 11 west from Nottingham, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Appletree, Smalley petty sessional division, union of Shardlow, county court district of Belper and Ilkeston, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Andrew, a small and ancient edifice of stone, consists of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and a turret on the western gable containing 2 bells dated 1661 : the small round-headed Norman door in the south wall gives evidence of the existence of a church here in the 12th century; a small lancet light near it is Early English, as are some other features of the building; which was no doubt rebuilt about 1200: the east window and those inserted in 1877 are in the Decorated style: the nave has a small piscina and there is an octagonal 14th century font: the carved oak pulpit is of Jacobean date : on the floor, close to the pulpit, is a brass, inscribed to Sir John Bentley knt. "of the pryory of Bredsall Parke," ob. 1621 : there are two small stained windows: the church was restored and partially rebuilt in 1875, the chancel being enlarged and a chancel arch erected : the church affords two sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from 1675, and of marriages from 1754. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £95, including 14 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1890 by The Rev. Thomas Robinson Forman M.A. of St. Catharine's College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was built in 1872. There is a Church mission room on the Common and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapel. William D. N. Drury-Lowe esq. of Locko Park, Spondon, who is lord of the manor, Lieut.-Col. Francis William Newdigate J.P. and Mrs. Brown are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey ; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and pasture land. The acreage is 1,026 ; rateable value, £3,279 ; the population in 1881 was 846.

Parish Clerk, Richard Hart.

POST OFFICE.-Thomas Outram, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive at 6 a.m. ; dispatched at 8 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order office is at Smalley & telegraph office at West Hallam railway station

WALL LETTER BOX, The Common, cleared at 6.55 p.m. week days only

St. Andrew's School (mixed), erected in 1882, to hold 120 children; average attendance, 75; Mrs. Ellen Hart, schoolmistress

St. Andrew's Mission Room, on the Common, is also used as a mixed day school; average attendance, 78 ; Mrs. Kate Daykin, schoolmistress

Ashworth James, Stanley hall
Brown Frederick, The Common
Forman Rev. Thos. Robinson M.A. [vicar]
Grundy Mrs. The Cedars
Harvey Thomas, The Common
Hay William, The Common

COMMERCIAL.
Brown Robt. Fredk. brick ma. The Com
Canner Edwin, farmer, Stanley grange
Carrier William, shopkeeper, The Com
Daykin Thomas, farmer, The Common
Derby Kilborne Colliery Go. (The) (Joseph Harvey, manager)
Eyre Alfd. Bateman Arms P.H. The Com
Fletcher James, farmer
Flint Francis Herbert, joiner
Grundy Richard, farmer
Haudley Thomas, tailor
Hart Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hart Henry, beer retailer
Hart Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Haynes Samuel, farmer, Hill top
Heath Gershom, miller (steam)
Hobson Fredk. shopkpr. The Common
Hodgkinson James, farmer
Longden Jonn. shopkpr. The Common
Morley Statham, shopkpr. The Common
Ogden Alexander, colliery agent
Outram Thomas, farmer, Post office
Page Alfred, grocer, The Common
Potter Samuel William, farmer
Richardson John, farmer, Manor farm
Robinson John, shoe maker
Sarson Joseph, farmer
Soresby John Edward, farmer
Starbuck John, beer retailer
Taft Elizabeth (Mrs.), White Hart P.H
Waldrom John, shopkeeper
Wood Thomas, ropemaker, The Commn

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Stanley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills