Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Spondon, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.303
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
SPONDON is a parish and township on the Derby and Nottingham road, with a station half a mile south from the village on the main line of the Midland railway, 129½ miles from London, 3½ east-by-south from Derby, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Appletree, Shardlow union and Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church formerly known as St. Mary's but recently (1890) discovered to have been dedicated to St. Werburgh, is a large building of stone chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower with spire 114 ft. high, of the Early English period, containing a clock and 5 bells, the 2nd, 3rd and 5th dating from 1613 and the 1st and 4th from 1848: in the north aisle is a mural monument with female bust to Elizabeth, wife of Henry Gilbert, of Locko, and daughter of Sir John Bernard, of Abington, ob. 15 Jan. 1665; the inscribed slab belonging to this monument is now placed on the floor under the west gallery : there are three stone stalls in the chancel and a piscina in the east wall : the communion plate was given by H. Gilbert and bears his name and crest: there are 700 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1580, of marriages from 1714 and of burials from 1653. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £250, net £220, derived from 87½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of William D. N. Drury-Lowe esq. D.L., J.P. and held since 1886 by the Rev. Reginald Fawkes M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1877. A cemetery of 1½ acres was formed in 1880 at a cost of £1,100, with one mortuary chapel, and is under the control of a burial board of 9 members. The charities amount to about £282 yearly for distribution in fuel, clothing and money. There are four almshouses in Sawpit lane, the gift of Mrs. Barrow, of Beach House, in 1873. Messrs. Leech, Neal and Co. Limited are extensive colour manufacturers here. Spondon Hall, a square mansion or red brick, is the seat of William Thomas Edwards Cox esq. J.P. Locko Park, about 300 acres in extent, containing a herd of deer and a small lake, is the seat of William Drury Nathaniel Drury-Lowe esq. D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William D. N. Drury-Lowe esq. and William Thomas Edwards Cox esq. J.P. and there are several small owners. The soil is loam, clay and gravel; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and some land in pasture. The acreage of Spondon township is 3,203; rateable value, £ 15,803 ; the population in 1881 was 1,757. The acreage of Stanley chapelry is 1,026; rateable value, £3,279; the population in 1881 was 846 ; that of the entire parish 2,603 inhabitants, with an area of 4,229 acres.

STANLEY will be found under a separate head.

Parish Clerk, William Antill.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Mrs. Ann Jerram, receiver. Letters received through the Derby office, arrive at 5.32 a.m. ; dispatched at 11.42 a.m. 4.50 & 8.15 p.m; sundays, arrive 7.35 a.m. ; dispatched 9p.m

National School (mixed), erected in 1839, enlarged in 1887 cost over £1,000, for 600 children; average attendance, 120 boys, 90 girls & 110 infants; David George Douglass, master; Miss Georgina Smith, mistress

Railway Station, James C. Chidgey, station master

CARRIER TO DERBY.-Richard Joseph Dedman, tues & fri

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Bayliss Richard C.E
Blandford Rev. Josiah Jessop B.A. (one of her Majesty's inspectors of schools)
Brown Frank
Bowley John, The Beeches
Brown Robert Major M.A., M.B. cam
Cade Thomas Charles, The Homestead
Cooke Charles William
Cox William Thomas Edwards J.P. Spondon hall
Devas Edwd. Thos. Holden J.P. The Hall
Devas Horace J.P. The Hall
Downs Miss, Bank side
Drury-Lowe William Drury Nathaniel D.L., J.P. Locko park
Elson Richard, Townsend cottage
Fawkes Rev. Reginald M.A. Vicarage
Fenn Mrs. Rock house
Fletcher William
Hall Mrs. West house
Bolt Francis, Beech house
Jobson Mrs. The Cottage
Lewty John Alexander, Ingle nook
Lilly Oliver Hutchinson, Borrowfield ho
Lilly Oliver Morgan, The Croft
Little Mrs
Meakin James Robinson, The Grange
Meakin Misses
Medley Miss
Morley William
Potter John Holland
Parry Francis Joseph (chief constable for the county), Stoney cross
Priestland Rev. Edward M.A. Spondon ho
Sandys Capt. H. Stair R.N. The Old hall
Sant Mrs
Staples Henry John, Prospect house
Strickland Samuel, The Beeches
Taylor John
Thompson William, Thornhill house
Walker Benjamin
Wellings Charles

COMMERCIAL.

Astley William, land steward to Wm. Drury Nathaniel Drury-Lowe esq
Baker Henry, Malt Shovel P.H
Barton William & Son, butchers
Bayliss Richard, civil engineer
Boothway Thomas, market gardener
Bradbury Joseph, tailor
Brown Robert Major M.A., M.B. Camb. surgeon
Cade Thos. Charles, surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Spondon district, Shardlow union, certifying factory surgeon, & registrar of births & deaths for Spondon sub-district
Cemetery (David George Douglass, clerk to local board)
Clews John, farmer
Clews Joseph, farmer
Conservative Club (Thomas Moult, sec)
Cooper Alfred, butcher
Co-operative Stores (Miss Emma Jane Watson, manageress)
Cox George, plumber & glazier
Coxon Charles, blacksmith
Coxon Peter, White Swan P.H
Curtis Charles, boot maker & shopkpr
Dedman Rd. Jsph. carrier & cab propr
Dedman William, Anglers' Arms P.H
Elson E. (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Elson Thomas, shoe maker & shopkeepr
Fowkes Herbert, farmer
Frost Elisha, farmer
Gaskin William, coal mer. & beer retailr
Holloway Thomas, beer retailer
Hoskinson Thomas, beer retailer
Kirkland William & Joseph, joiners
Lather Henry, coal dealer
Lather James, tailor
Leech, Neal & Co. Lim. color manufrs. offices, City rd. Derby. See advert.
Little Luke, shopkeeper
Liewsley Amos, grocer
Maddock Joseph, bricklayer
Maddock William, bricklayer
Meakin Edward, builder
Measham Charles, market gardener
Merrin Richard, farmer
Morley Alfred, butcher
Peat Elizabeth (Mrs.), butcher
Porter Joseph, baker & shopkeeper
Potter Sarah & Copeland Elizabeth Jane (Misses), preparatory school for young gentlemen
Potter Isaac, farmer
Potter John Holland, farmer
Priestland Rev. Edward M.A. preparatory school, Spondon house
Raynes Mary (Miss), dress maker
Rose William, draper & baker
Rowbottom Isaac, maltster
Sandys Capt. H. Stair R.M. inspector of weights & measures for South Derbysh
Shelley Henry, joiner
Sims Alice (Mrs.), farmer, Springfield
Spenlove John, farmer, Wood farm
Spondon Gas Light & Coke Co. Limited (James Albert Stevenson sec)
Stone Matthew & Son, farmers, Burrow Wood farm
Stubbs William, farmer
Thompson Edward, painter
Thompson George, joiner & builder
Topham William, grocer & draper
Walker Benjamin L.R.C.P. Edin. surgn
Walker Charles, tailor
Walker Samuel, shoe maker
Ward Frederick Lewis Union inn
Wood John, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Spondon and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills

Please note:
About 1890 it was discovered that the church at Spondon, having been for a long time been called St. Mary's, had been originally dedicated to St. Werburgh. So the name of the church was changed back to St. Werburgh. It has subsequently reverted to St. Mary.