Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Stanton and Newhall, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.304-305
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
STANTON and NEWHALL form a township, in the parish of Stapenhill, Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell : the former lies about 2 miles and the latter 4 south-east from Burton-upon-Trent station, 125½ from London and about 6 north-west from Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Stanton and Newhall form one township for rating purposes, but ecclesiastically, Stanton is annexed to Stapenhill and Newhall is a separate ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1845. The church of St. John, at Newhall, erected about 1842, at a cost, including residence and school, of £7,000, is a structure of brick in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, western porch and a pinnacled tower at the west end containing a clock and 1 bell : in 1884 the church was restored and chancel added at a cost of £800 raised by public subscriptions: there are 500 sittings, 100 being free. The register dates from the year 1842. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £260, including 8 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Edgar Henry Rand M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels. The Hall, erected in 1874, at a cost of £3,000, by the late Anne Elizabeth Countess of Chesterfield, in memory of her son, George, seventh Earl of Chesterfield, is a brick building, and contains reading and news rooms, billiard rooms and a spacious lecture hall, but is now closed. Here are coal pits and brickfields. Stanton House, standing in a park, is the seat of Lewis Barber esq. The Earl of Carnarvon and J. and N. Nadin esqrs. are joint owners of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, the same. The area of the parish is 1,613 acres; rateable value, £4,072; the population in 1881 was, of Stanton and Newhall township, £4,257 ; and of Newhall ecclesiastical parish, 3,902.

Parish Clerk, Henry Cotton.

POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Newhall.-Joseph Abner Tunnicliffe, receiver. Letters arrive from Burton-upon-Trent at 7 a.m. & 3.45 p.m. ; dispatched at 9.25 a.m. & 8 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Swadlincote

POST OFFICE, Stanton.-Joseph Thornley, receiver. Letters received at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 8.15 p.m. ; sunday, delivery 7 a.m. ; dispatched, 12.30 noon. Newhall is the nearest money order office & Stapenhill the nearest telegraph office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

Police Station, William Lowe, sergeant in charge

SCHOOLS :-
National, Newhall (mixed), built in 1864, on a site granted by the Sixth Ear] of Chesterfield, for 400 children & 230 infants ; average attendance, 400 children & 126 infants ; A. Elder, master; Mrs. Elder, mistress

National, Stanton (mixed), erected in 1876, for 90 children; average attendance, 86; Miss E. Jewsbury, mistress
National, Oversetts (mixed & infants), erected in 1871 for 330 children & 230 infants; average attendance, 280 children & 170 infants ; H. Whitfield, master; Miss Clara Emma Tunnicliff, mistress
Catholic, Oversetts (mixed), for 150 children; average attendance, 97; Miss C. Barry, mistress

CARRIER.-William Orme, to & from Derby, fri. ; to Burton-upon-Trent, thurs. ; to Ashby-de-la-Zouch, sat

Newhall.

Bridge Benjamin, sen
Moir John Hay M.D
Rand Rev. Edgar Henry M.A. [vicar]
Staley Mrs. Thorntree house

COMMERCIAL.
Atkin Isaac, boot & shoe maker
Ball James, shoe maker
Bates George, Swan P.H
Barfoot William, Chesterfield Arms P. H
Beard James, shopkeeper
Bindley John, Holly Bush P.H
Birch Hannah (Miss), shopkeeper
Blood George, grocer
Brealey Samuel, shopkeeper
Brearley Alfred John, beer retailer
Brearley Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Brearley Michael, butcher
Brunt Charlotte (Miss), George inn
Cartledge Archibald, shopkeeper
Chill Thomas, shopkeeper
Clark James, smith
Cooper Henry, builder
Copestake Daniel, Stanhope Arms P.H
Cotton Henry, shopkeeper
Dent Enoch, beer ret. & earthenware dlr
Dent Wm. shopkeeper & dealer in beer
Dicken Joseph, pork butcher
Dunnicliff Edward, beer retailer
Earp Joseph, haberdasher
Fearn George, beer retailer
Goacher George, beer retailer
Gough Allen, blacksmith
Gough John, beer retailer
Gough William, Queen's Head P.H
Gutteridge Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hardwick George, beer retailer
Hardwick Joseph, beer retailer
Harvey Albert, painter & glazier
Harvey Arthur, butcher
Harvey Arthur, plumber
Harvey Henry, brassfounder
Harvey Thomas, pork butcher
Harvey William, butcher
Heap Robert, general dealer
Heap Samuel, shopkeeper
Hicklin George, Royal Oak P.H
Hoskison Henry, grocer
Ingram Sarah Hannah (Miss), shopkpr
James William, beer retailer
Jones Dan, shopkeeper
Jones Francis, hardware dealer
Lacy William, draper
Lunn Daniel, general dealer
Marshall George, grocer
Meakin John, farmer
Moir John Hay M.D., C.M. surgeon
Nadin J. & N. & Co. colliery owners & frmrs
Newbold William, Crown P.H
Orme William, carrier
Parker Joseph, butcher & farmer
Parker Samuel, shopkeeper
Patten James Hinde, chemist
Peace Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer
Perkins Frederick Henry, draper
Pickering Charles, beer retailer
Pickering Edward, wheelwright
Pickering Mary (Mrs.), Freehold tavern
Pickering Jonathan, grocer
Pickering William, shopkeeper
Pounder Thomas, Red Lion P.H
Radbourne Henry, Jolly Colliers P.H
Redfem James, beer retailer
Robinson Thomas, grocer
Shreeves Thomas, fishmonger
Shreeves William, beer retailer
Simkin John, boot & shoe maker
Smedley John, farmer
Smedley John, jun. butcher
Staley Daniel, New inn
Staley George, shoe maker
Staley James, beer retailer
Staley James, shopkeeper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit mers
Staley Joseph, shopkeeper
Staley Paul, beer retailer
Staley Robert, hair dresser
Starkey Charles, shopkeeper
Street John, shopkeeper
Stretton Thomas, White Horse P.H
Taylor Isaac, boot & shoe maker
Tunnicliff Joseph Abner, post master, school attendance officer & organist
Tunnicliffe William, grocer
Twigg Samuel, Gate inn
Walley John, shopkeeper
Warren Brothers, boiler makers
Warren Henry, Thorn Tree P.H
Warren John, shopkeeper
Warrington James (Mrs.), farmer

Stanton.

Barber Lewis, Stanton house
Yates Thomas, Manor house
Belfitt William, manager to the Bretby collieries
Bretby Collieries (Wm. Johnson, agent ; William Belfitt, manager)
Johnson Wm. agnt. to the Bretby collieries
Kenny William, shopkeeper
Redfern Margaret (Mrs.), farmer
Stretton Joseph, wheelwright
Thornley Joseph, grocer, Post office
Wright William, registrar of births & deaths for Gresley sub-district, vaccination officer & collector for the guardians of Burton-upon-Trent union

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Stanton and Newhall and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills