Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Stoney Middleton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.308-9
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
STONY MIDDLETON, on the road from Buxton to Chesterfield, is a township and parochial chapelry in the parish of Hathersage, from which it is separated by that of Eyam, 5 miles north-north-east from Bakewell, 5 east from Tideswell, 4 north from Hassop station and 162 from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The chapel of St. Martin, at at the lower end of the village, is an octagonal building erected in 1759, in place of an earlier structure, consisting, as far as is known, of a simple chancel and nave : the embattled western tower, a low structure of Late Perpendicular date, remains and contains 3 bells, all cast in 1720 : there is an inscription in the church to Mrs. Denman, but no monuments earlier than the 18th century : a mural tablet of Derbyshire marble was placed in the nave in 1888 by the members of the Clerical Greek Testament Meeting, as memorial to the late Rev. Urban Smith M.A. incumbent of this parish, 1834-88 : the churchyard is very small, but a cemetery has been laid out at a distance of about a quarter of a mile, and was consecrated by the Bishop of Lichfield 11 Oct. 1878 : there are 250 sittings. The register, which is in fair condition, dates from the year 1715 for all entries. The living is a perpetual curacy, average tithe rent-charge £16, gross yearly value £178, including 12 acres of glebe at Bradfield, Yorks, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Hathersage, and held since 1888 by the Rev. John Barnett Riddlesden M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1827. A charity of £7 5s. yearly, left in 18I8 by the Rev. F. Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, is for clothing : there is also a Christmas dole of £3. The village has a very picturesque appearance, some of the houses being situated one above another on the ledge of rock, and others at the foot of the overhanging precipices which rise above them. For 1½ miles before reaching the village from Tideswell, the road runs along a narrow valley, on each side of which rise steep grassy slopes, partially covered with brushwood and above these are perpendicular rocks overgrown with ivy, in many places upwards of 200 feet in height; near to the village on this road, and at the foot of a hill, is a tiny spring, discharging a great volume of water, which in a dry summer is of great service to the district when other springs in the locality are dry : in a narrow cleft in the rocks called " Middleton Dale" is a lofty rock known as the " Lovers' Leap." In the village is a warm spring, with a temperature of 60 degrees, and possessing all the properties for curing rheumatism, for which Buxton (of 80 degrees of warmth) is so much frequented : baths were erected by the late Lord Denman on the site of an ancient bath of supposed Roman origin : here are places for manufacturing barytes and in the dale are several limekilns. The seat of Lord Denman D.L., J.P. situated near the church, is a gabled mansion of stone, in grounds of about 4 acres, through which a brook meanders and creates a waterfall, and when the mines do not discharge too much refuse, trout abound in the brook, which flows into the Derwent. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manor, and Lord Denman are the principal landowners. The land is on limestone and mainly in grass. The hills abound with lead. The area is 1,168 acres ; rateable value, £1,560 ; the population in 1881 was 354.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Jackson.

POST OFFICE.-Samuel Worsencroft, receiver. Letters received through Sheffield by mail cart at 7.50 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Calver & telegraph office is at Eyam

Police Station, John Allcock, inspector

National School (mixed), erected in 1835 & enlarged in 1845, now holding 96 children; average attendance, 75; Henry John Wadlow, master

CARRIER TO SHEFFIELD.-Robert Hallam, tues. & sat. to the Blue Bell inn, returning same days

Denman Lord D.L., J.P
Fletcher Miss, Hawthorn cottage
Riddlesden Rev. John Barnett M.A. [incumbent], Parsonage
Von Ellrodt Mrs. Hawthorn Cottage

Allcock John, inspector of police
Bagley Martha (Mrs.), farmer
Barnes William, blacksmith
Bland James, barytes manufr. & farmer
Bland Robert, farmer
Boam William, mason, Craig Sted
Booking Joseph, Royal Oak P.H
Carter George, shoe maker
Cocker Ezra, shoe manufacturer
Collingham John, Grouse P.H
Coupe Ernest, Bull's Head P.H
Eidson John William, farmer
Eidson Sarah (Mrs.) shopkeeper
Froggatt & Son, millers (water)
Furness Charles, farmer
Furness Samuel, farmer & lime burner, Highfield
Gascoyne Edward, agent for Queen's Insurance Co. & school attendance officer for North division of Bakewell union
Goddard & Heginbotham, wholesale boot & shoe manufacturers
Goddard Ebenezer, butcher
Goddard Henry, farmer & lime burner
Goddard Thos. farmer & tallow chandler
Goddard William, shopkeeper
Hallam Benjamin, wholesale shoe mnfr
Hallam Frederick Stockdale, farmer
Hallam Jonathan, farmer & assistant overseer
Hallam Robert, farmer & carrier
Hallam Peter John, Stag's Head P.H. & farmer
Hancock Archilaus, wholesale boot & shoe manufacturer
Hancock George & John, butchers
Hancock Robert, farmer
Hancock Tbomas, farmer
Hancock William, farmer
Hegginbotham Henry, farmer
Heginbotham H.& A. W. barytes manufs
Heginbotham Luther, wholesale boot & shoe manufacturer
Jackson Mary (Mrs.) & Daniel, besom manufacturers
Jackson James, clerk to the Baslow St. Anne Local Board
Mason George William, farmer & joiner
Mason James, wheelwright
Mellor Buxton Wm. farmer, Black Harry
Millward James, farmer
Morton Hannah (Mrs.), Lover's Leap P.H.
Moseley John, farmer
Nugent John & Francis, wholesale boot & shoe manufacturers
Pursglove Joseph, butcher
Radford Martha (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Richardson Joseph, hawker
Sharman William Outram, greengrocer
Trickett Elizabeth (Mrs.), Moon inn, commercial & posting house
Thomas, shopkeeper
Worsencroft Saml. shopkpr. Post office

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links
More on site information about Stoney Middleton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills
"The Panorama of Matlock" (1827) Middleton Dale is mentioned