Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Staveley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.306-308
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
STAVELEY is a parish, extensive village and station on the Midland railway, pleasantly situated on an eminence, close to the fine valley of the river Rother, 4½ miles north-east from Chesterfield and 154 from London, in the North Eastern division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, Chesterfield union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Staveley, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Chesterfield canal passes through the parish. The village is lighted with gas by a company formed in 1861, and supplied with water from works situated at Barlow, the property of the Chesterfield Sanitary Authority. The church of St. John the Baptist is an edifice of stone consisting of chancel, south chantry, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower, containing a clock and 8 bells, all cast either in 1782 or 1811 : the most ancient remains in this church are some fragments of incised slabs worked up in the window sills of two windows in the south aisle and possibly coeval with the church existing at the time of the Domesday Survey ; the font is also a fine and early specimen of work, unique in some of its details and dating from the 12th century; the basement of the tower, with its irregular buttresses, and the south doorway, appear to belong to the Early English period ; the arcade of the south aisle, consisting of five pointed arches, is Decorated : two low arches on an octagonal pier divide the chancel from the chantry, and above these arches is a clerestory, lighted by six small windows : the church was much altered during the prevalence of the debased Perpendicular style, the upper part of the tower, with its battlements and pinnacles, bearing the date 1681: in the south aisle is a mutilated piscina, and built into the outer wall of the north aisle is a richly-carved recess with a crocketed ogee arch and pinnacles ; in the upper half is a painting, now much faded, of the" Resurrection: " on the eastern gable of the nave is a bell-cote containing a sanctus bell: some fragments of ancient glass linger in the cast window of the chantry : on the north side of the chancel is an altar tomb, bearing on the upper slab the full-length figure in brass of a knight in plate armour, covered by a tabard, displaying the arms of Frecheville ; the head and shoulders of the figure are missing, but above are scrolls with invocatory prayers, an emblem of the Trinity and escutcheons of arms : on the margin is a mutilated inscription to Sir Peter Frecheville, knighted at the battle of Pinkie or Musselburgh, 10 Sept. 1547, and Matilda his wife; she died in 1482 ; around the sides are shields of arms : here also is a monument with figures of a man in armour and his wife, kneeling at desks facing each other, eight boys in long gowns also kneeling behind the one and seven girls behind the other; above is a figure of the Virgin and child, and underneath all inscription to "Peyrs Frechwell, ob. 25 March 1503, and Maude his wyf: " under one of the arches of the chancel arcade is an alabaster slab, bearing the effigy of an armoured knight, bareheaded and with clasped hands, representing John Frecheville, son of the foregoing Sir Peter, ob. 1509; the remains of similar slabs, much defaced, were removed at the restoration to the chantry, or "Frecheville quire," now containing the later monuments of that family, including a large marble sarcophagus to John, 1st and only Baron Frecheville, and the last of his race, who died in 1682, and a memorial to his daughter Christian, 1st wife of Lord St. John, of Basing, afterwards Marquess of Winchester and Duke of Bolton; she died in 1653: behind the monument of Lord Frecheville is a fine stained window in the Renaissance style, dated 1676, with his arms; here also is a slab incised with the figure of an ecclesiastic, standing beneath a canopy and supporting with one hand a pastoral staff, intended to commemorate John Warton, a former rector: another incised slab, probably of the 12th century, bears a cross with a simply-formed circular head; the head of a third incised cross is almost entirely concealed by the base of a large canopied niche, designed for two figures of saints and placed in the south-east angle: the church was restored in 1865, when the north aisle was added and the roofs raised : there are 800 sittings : in the churchyard, near the south porch, stands a restored cross, the original portions consisting of the base and most of the shaft. The register dates from 1557 for all entries. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £597, net yearly value £408, including 92 acres of glebe, with a rectory house, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1887 by the Rev. Charles Undock Molineux. There are Free Methodist, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels here, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Marsden Moor. A cemetery of 3½ acres, opened in 1884 and containing two mortuary chapels, is under the supervision of the Rural Sanitary Authority of Chesterfield. The Mechanics' Institute and Reading Room occupies an ancient house near the church. The K Co. of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment), is stationed at Staveley. There are several bequests for the benefit of the poor of the parish and for educational purposes, amounting annually to about £230; this sum is at present distributed at Midsummer and Christmas, to deserving poor not receiving parish relief. Various charities from 1584 to 1736 were collected by Francis Gisborne, in the latter year, and a rent-charge of £12 10s. a year was bought from the Earl of Scarsdale. The land in this parish is of great value for its rich minerals and its abundant produce of coal and some iron-stone, great quantities of the former being sent away by the Midland railway, which has a station here; the line passing close to the works of the Staveley Iron and Coal Company at Barrow Hill. There is an old-established brush manufactory ; spades and shovels are also made and there are corn mills. The Duke of Devonshire K. G. who is lord of the manor and St. John's College, Cambridge, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The area of the township is 6,872 acres; rateable value, £35,610; the population in 1881 was 8,194.

Parish Clerk, George Mather.

WOODTHORPE is a hamlet, about 1½ miles distant. Here is a hospital, with a chapel seating 130 persons, founded and endowed by Peter Frecheville by will, dated 16 Mar. 1632, for eight poor men and women, the income of which amounts to £70 yearly. Divine service is held here weekly.

HANDLEY is 2 miles north-west and has a chapel of ease, built in 1838, chiefly at cost of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. with sittings for 175; divine service is conducted by the rector and curate of Staveley.

WEST INKERSALL, 1 mile south of Netherthorpe, and PARK GATE, three quarters of a mile east, are other places.

BARROW HILL, 1 mile west-north-west, is a village, erected in 1855 by Richard Barrow esq. J.P. consisting of upwards of 300 stone houses. Reading and news rooms with library were built in 1863, for the workmen employed at the extensive iron and coal works belonging to the Staveley Coal and Iron Company Limited, where upwards of 4,000 persons are engaged. This is considered one of the largest firms in the Midland Counties : the iron work for the Exhibition of 1862 was cast at this place.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office.- Robert Sibery, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by mail cart from Chesterfield, delivered at 7.15 a.m. & 4.35 p.m. ; dispatched at 11a.m. & 6.5 p.m

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Barrow Hill.-Daniel Preston, postmaster. Letters arrive by rail from Chesterfield at 6.55 a.m. & 2.50 p.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 & 7.55 p.m. ; on sundays at 4.25 p.m

POST OFFICE, Norbriggs.-Joseph Hopkinson, receiver. Letters arrive by mail cart from Chesterfield at 7 a.m. ;
dispatched at 6 p.m.; 3 p.m., on sundays, Staveley is the nearest telegraph office

POST OFFICE, Middle Handley.-Mrs. Ann Turner, receiver. Letters arrive by mail cart from Chesterfield at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. week days only. North Whittington is the nearest money order & telegraph office

WALL LETTER Box, Lowgates, cleared at 6 p.m

WALL LETTER Box, Marsden Moor, cleared at 5.45 p. m. ; sundays 2.45 p.m

Cemetery, Thomas Simpson, keeper
Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment), 2nd Volunteer Battalion (K Company); Capt. F. A. Turner, commandant; Josiah Court, surgeon; Sergt. A. W. Keats, drill instructor

Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Staveley district, Chesterfield union, Josiah Court L.R.C.P. Lond
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Rates & Taxes, George Coward Crofts
Surveyors of Highways, Francis Thornton, John A. Crofts, Enoch Banister & James Howe

Endowed, founded in 1572 & buildings erected by Margaret Fretcheville; the endowment, formerly £8 yearly, has been augmented to £30; there are 45 boys &; the scheme of education is classical & general ; Francis Albert Turner B.A. head master
National, Staveley erected in1844 & enlarged in 1870, for 270 boys, 230 girls & 100 infants : average attendance, 225 boys, 200 girls & 98 infants; Joseph Craven, master; Miss Ann Swanson, mistress ; Miss Minnie Kent, infants' mistress: the girls' school has the benefit of a bequest of £100, left by Mrs. Jane Foxlowe in 1846
National, Handley, erected by the Duke of Devonshire K.G. with residence for master, for 200 children; average attendance, 62 boys, 63 girls & 38 infants; Samuel Hooke, master ; Mrs. Hooke, infants' mistress
Church, Woodthorpe, with master's residence, erected by the Duke of Devonshire in 1862, for 258 children; average attendance, 76 boys, 59 girls & 44 infants; Jerrison Frith, master ; Mrs. Lucy Frith, mistress ; Miss Harriet Newham, infants' mistress ; the school receives annual subscriptions from the Duke of Devonshire & the Staveley Coal & Iron Co. Limited
National, Marsden Moor (mixed), built in 1879, for 157 children; average attendance, 135; Miss Sarah Ede, mistress
Staveley Works Schools, Barrow Hill, erected in 1857, for 300 boys, 209 girls & 143 infants ; average attendance, 250 boys, 205 girls &; 143 infants; William Ridgway, master; Miss Mary E. Baggaley, mistress ; Mrs. Ellen Robotham, infants' mistress

Barrow Hill, Richard Eaton, station master
Netherthorpe, John Cash, station master

CARRIER TO CHESTERFIELD.-Jenkinson, wed. & sat
Do. Do. from Marsden Moor, Greaves, sat



Barrow John Burton M.A., J.P. Ringwood hall
Court Josiah
Crawshaw Robt. Wilkinson, The Hagge
Crofts Francis, Lowgates
Crofts Mrs. Rose cottage
Ferguson Edgar C. C.E. Lowgates
Fisher Mrs. High street
Fletcher Charles, Old Rectory
Fletcher James, Netherthorpe hall
Harrison Joseph, Lowgates
Knight Edwin Smith, Lowgates
Marples Paul, Lowgates
Molineux Rev, Charles Hurlock, The Rectory
Robinson Mrs. High street
Rodgers Mrs. New house
Sharman Rev. William [Primitive Methodist], Lowgates
Turner Francis Albert B.A. Netherthorpe
Waugh Rev. Joseph [curate], Woodthorpe hall
Winder Rev. William R. [Catholic], The Poplars


Anderson Matilda (Miss), farmer, Woodthorpe
Arthur George, farmer, Woodthorpe
Askew John, woodman, Netherthorpe
Baker Edward, Albert inn, Woodthorpe
Baker Marrianne (Mrs.), tailor & beer ret
Banister Enoch, brick maker, farmer & surveyor of highways
Bennett Abraham (trustees of), farmer, Inkersall green
Bennett Jane Ann (Mrs.), out door beer retailer, Lowgates
Beresford Enoch, blacksmith, Lowgates
Booth John, insurance agent
Bower David, farmer, Woodside
Bower Thos. White, frmr. Woodthorpe
Bowler Charles W. farmer, Inkersall
Bowmer Benjamin, hair dresser, photographer & tobacconist
Bradley John, beer retailr. Netherthorpe
Brocksop John, farmer, Netherthorpe
Brooke Isabella (Mrs.), grocer &c
Buxton George, shopkpr. Netherthorpe
Calow John Thomas, joiner
Cemetery (Thomas Simpson, keeper)
Clater Thomas, sec. to Church of England Working Men's Society & English Church Union, Lowgates
Clayton Sarah (Mrs.), dress maker
Cooke Edward, butcher
Cooper Herbert, grocer &c
Cooper Thomas, draper
Court Josiah L.R.C.P. Lond. surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, Staveley district, Chesterfield Union
Cowley Argus, cowkeeper, Moor Top
Cox John, wood turner
Cox John, jun. shopkeeper
Cox Reuben, shoe maker
Cragg Hy. Preston, saddler &: harness ma
Crawshaw Robert Wilkinson, farmer, The Hagge
Crofts George Coward, assistant overseer & collector of rates & taxes
Crofts John A. surveyor of highways
Crofts Jn. Johnson, frmr. Hawthorn hi
Crofts WiIliam, Elm Tree P.H
Cross George, joiner & out door beer retailer, Woodthorpe
Crossland Thos. Speedwell inn, Lowgates
Cutts Jsph. Hy. farmer, Chesterfield rd
Dewsnap Frederick James, watch maker
Dickens William, farmer, Pipe lane
Doughty Reuben, farmer
Dunnicliffe Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeepr
Elliott John, grocer, Lowgates
Fidler Francis, farmer, Woodthorpe
Fletcher Jn. & Sons, general brush mnfrs
Fletcher & Sons, tanners & curriers
Flint Robert, pork butcher
Fox Ann (Miss), dress maker
Frith Robert, brush manufacturer & insurance agent
Frith William, farmer, Netherthorpe
Grieves John Thomas, butcher
Hardy William J. butcher
HARRISON JOSEPH, coal factor & cultural & building lime, milling & other timber & all kinds of colliery stores, Lowgates
Helmstock Thos, beer ret. Netherthorpe
Hewitt James, New inn, & farmer, Netherthorpe
Hollingworth William, farmer
Hollis Matthew, farmer, Inkersall
Hopkinson Anthony, sewing machine depot, Porter street
Horseman Henry, grocer & general dlr
Howe James, farmer & surveyor of highways, Breck
Hudson Henry, Smiths' Arms P. H. & farmer, Netherthorpe
Jarvis Sarah (Mrs.), cowkeeper, Woodthorpe
Jenkinson Jonathan, shopkeeper
Jervis Joshua, shoe maker
Johnson George, farmer, Woodthorpe
Keeling John, beer & wine retailer
Keeton Wm. Boot & shoe ma. Netherthorpe
Kirkham Sarah A. (Mrs.), greengrocer
Knighton Hy. foundry foreman, Beech ho
Knighton Thos. Wm. chemist & druggist
Lee John & Joseph, farmers, Woodthorpe
Lee John Thos. miller (water) & farmer
Lievesley Thomas, Foresters' inn
Lingard John, Old Nag's Head P.H
Longmete James, drilling machine proprietor & farmer, Chesterfield road
Lowgates Football Club (R. Madin, hon. sec)
Marples Herbert & Paul,farmrs. Hugistall
Marples Frederick, grocer & draper
Marples Herbert, farmer & butcher
Marples Paul, butcher
Marriott Matthew, medical student, Lowgates
Marsden George, farmer, Handley wood
Marsh John Wheatcroft, grocer
Marson James, shoe maker
Martin Thomas, monumental mason
Mead William, shopkeeper
Mechanics' Institute (Thomas Till, librarian & secretary)
Middleton Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Milner Wm. butchr. & farmr. Woodthorpe
Morris Arthur, shopkpr. Netherthorpe
Mullins Wm. joiner, builder & saw mills
Naylor Thomas, pawnbroker & clothier
Newbury William, shopkpr. Lowgates
Norman Edward, blacksmith, Lowgates
Nuttall John, farmer
Nuttall William, butcher
Paramore Theresa (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Parsons Edwd. pork butcher & farmer
Pattison John, farmer, Merrians
Pattison Mark, Devonshire Arms P.H
Payton Richard, grocer, Seymour
Peabody Wm. draper & furniture dealer
Pearson John W. grocer & provsn, dlr
Peel Roger, grcr. & out-door beer retlr
Plant John Thomas, blacksmith
Redican Francis, wardrobe dealer
Renshaw Joseph, farmer, Woodthorpe
Riley Fanny (Miss), dress maker
Rimmington Mary (Mrs.), butcher & grcr
Robinson Mark, grocer
Rodgers Jn. (Mrs.), farmer, Netherthorpe
Rodgers Mark, tailor, Lowgates
Rodgers Thos. baker & provision dealer
Shaw Charles Robert, butcher
Shelton George, farmer, Lowgates
Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regt.), and Volunteer Battalion (K Co.) (Capt. F. A. Turner, commandant ; Sergeant A. W. Keats, drill instrctr)
Shipstone John, cowkpr. Inkersall green
Siddall Henry, farmer, Moor top
Simpson Edmund, storekeeper, Staveley works, Lowgates
Singleton Frances (Mrs.), confectioner
Slagg Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Red lodge
Smith George, grocer & draper
Staveley Coke & Gas Light Co. Limited (Edmund Simpson, sec)
Staveley Cricket Club (Joseph Barrow, hon. sec)
Staveley Football Club (Geo. Ha y, hon.sec)
Staveley Free Labour & Industrial Provident Co-operative Society Limited (AIbert Rodgers, manager)
Stead John, chemist & draper, Lowgates
Stone George, shopkeeper
Stone Samuel, joiner & builder
Stubbins Benjamin, farmer, Woodthorpe
Swift Jas. blacksmith & out-door beer ret
Taylor Richard, grocer & draper
Taylor William, cowkeeper, Pipe lane
Thornton Francis, surveyor of highways
Trigg Benjamin, stationer & newsagent
Tudsbury Marmaduke, stationer & printer
Tudsbury William Henry, hair dresser & photographer
Turner Francis Albert, grammar school, Nettlethorpe
Turner John, cowkeeper, Nettlethorpe
Turton Henry, farmer
Turton Jas. farmer, Chesterfield road
Turton John, farmer, Inkersall
Turton Joseph, wheelwright & joiner
Vickers Priscilla (Mrs.), farmr. Parkgate
Wakefield John, glass & china dealer
Walker John, shopkeeper, Woodthorpe
Wetton Alfred, Crown P.H
Widdowson & Jarvis, butchers
Widdowson James, farmer, Moor top
Widdowson Joseph, farmer, Inkersall
Widdowson William, farmer, Park ho
Williamson Albert, beer retlr. Canal row
Woodhead John, shopkeeper, Mill green
Wright Robert, farmer, Woodthorpe
Wroe Joseph, shopkeeper, Lowgates
Yorkshire Penny Bank (branch) (open mondays 7 to 8 p.m.), National school
Young Robert, butcher

Barrow Hill.

Coleman Rev. William Laxton [curate], The Cottage
Hale Thomas Frederick
Humble Joseph, White lodge
Westlake Henry


Barnes Alfred Winter, colliery manager, Staveley works
Booker George, farmer
Hale Thomas Frederick, surgeon
Hunt Benjamin, shopkeeper
Knighton Jsph. mangr. at Staveley wks
Millard Abraham, butcher
Monks James, grocer & beer retailer
Nicholson John Brown, cashier, StaveIey works
Peatman James, grocer
Preston Dan. draper & grocer, Post office
Price Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Reading & News Rooms & Library (Jn. Stevens, sec. & librarian)
Richardson Isaiah, grocer
Smith Samuel, butcher
Stacey Jonathan, shopkeeper
Staveley Coal & Iron Co. Limited, coal & ironmasters, manufacturers, engineers &c. (Henry Westlake. sec)
Sterling John, shopkeeper
Thorley Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Westlake Charles, traffic manager, Staveley works
Westlake Hy. sec. Staveley works
Wetherall James, news agent
Williamson Edwin, Barrow Hill hotel


Crawshaw Miss, Southgate lodge
MacFarlane Mrs. Uplands
Marples Fredk. A. Devonshire Arms P.H
Middle Handley.
Barber Paul, farmer
Evans Charles, blacksmith
Steele Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Turner George, carpenter & wheelwright

Nether Handley.

Frith James, cow keeper
Hoyle Thomas Albert, farmer
Knighton George Henry, engineer
Walker John, farmer

West Handley.

Bargh Robert, farmer
Cowley Henry, farmer
Cross Ernest, shopkeeper
Keller Thomas, greengrocer
Siddall Charles, farmer
Vickers James, shopkeeper

Marsden Moor.

Bacon John, cowkeeper
Goodwin John, beer retailer
Greaves Charles, carrier
Hall Godfrey, cow keeper
Holmes John, grocer
Johnson Moses, cowkeeper
Keeton Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Miller Charlotte (Mrs.), Gate inn
Rimmington William, shopkeeper & outdoor beer retailer
Robinson John, Jolly Colliers P.H
Widdowson George, cowkeeper


Dudley John Richard, Norbriggs house
Royston Misses, Holly bank
DUDLEY & SON, spade, shovel & steel fork manufacturers, Norbriggs work

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Staveley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills