Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21st Century Images> This page
Matlock Bath: Lovers' Walks, Riverside Path
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
Lovers' Walks, looking downstream
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name

Lovers' Walks,
brief history

Lovers' Walk (Edwardian)

Aviaries & Monkey Houses

Matlock Bath Today (6)

Ward Lock Guide

More from the 1932 Guide

View from the Heights of Abraham, 1892

(scroll down for the b&w image)

"The Lovers' Walks, a labyrinth of tree-shaded paths, reached by the bridge from the Promenade, winds in a series of zigzags up the side of the verdant hill on the opposite side of the river from Matlock Bath. Holiday-makers, especially the more romantic, have always highly esteemed these walks, for the corners are secluded and the prospects poetic. Plants and flowers grace this delightful region in profusion, and a recent addition is a small aviary. There are two sets of paths whereby the top of the hill may be reached, visitors usually ascending by the one and descending by the other". This description was published in 1932[1].

The "bridge from the Promenade" - the Jubilee Bridge - is no longer the only means of accessing the Lovers' Walks, of course, as in 1969 a new bridge was constructed across the River Derwent; it is approximately where the line of the river disappears into the horizon in the top photograph and connects the Lovers' Walks with the Derwent Gardens. These days the footpath between the two bridges is lit. The top picture is by Valentine but its date is currently unknown.

Both pictures show the pathway beside the river rather than those that ascend the hill. They were published as black and white images in the Ward Lock Guide of 1932-3. However, we know from earlier versions of the guide that its images were not necessarily taken in the same year that an issue was published and the second view (below), by Frith, is a case in point. It also appeared in the 1911-12 edition although is actually an even older photograph that was first published in 1886, so was taken the year before the Jubilee Bridge was constructed. It is quite difficult to tell exactly where it was taken, apart from that it was looking northwards from a position downstream from the ferry crossing. There are no helpful buildings or clues on the riverbank to tell us more.

Roll over the image to see the black and white version published by Ward Lock.

1. Black and white photograph by Valentine (top image) from Ward Lock's Guide (1932-3)[1].
2. Sepia postcard, "Matlock, Lovers' Walks" was first published in 1886 by F. Frith & Co. Ltd., Reigate, No.18608. British Copyright. Unused.
2a (seen when you roll over image 2). Black and white photograph by Frith from Ward Lock's Guide (1932-3)[1].
Images in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.


[1] From Ward Lock & Co's "Matlock, Dovedale, Bakewell and South Derbyshire", Illustrated Guide Books of England and Wales (1932-3). Of the quotation provided, all but the last one and a half sentences was also included in the guide of 1903.