Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
South Darley (Wensley), Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 107-108
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
CLAY surname
entries for all four counties

Snitterton Hall, 1909

SOUTH DARLEY (or WENSLEY) is a parish, formed 20 Aug, 1845, from Darley, and comprises the hamlets of OAKERSIDE, DARLEY BRIDGE, CROSS GREEN, and SNITTERTON ; and is 153 miles from London and 4 north-west from Matlock, in the Western division of the county, hundred and county court district of Wirksworth, Matlock district of Wirksworth petty sessional division, Bakewell union and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The parish is connected with North Darley by a bridge over the Derwent, and is governed by a local board of nine members, formed in 1863. The church of St. Mary, erected in 1843, is a building of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of a chancel, nave of one bay and a tower on the south-west, containing one bell : the chancel was added in 1886: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £105, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the rector of Darley, and held since 1882 by the Rev. John William Watney Booth M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Wensley, and another at Oakerside, built in 1854. The Oakerhill and Cross Green inclosure charity of 97 acres, let at £213 13s. yearly, is applied in part payment of the poor rates, the ratepayers paying a very small rate for the remainder. The parish participates with North Darley in Garratt's and Gisborne's charities. Ann Phynney's charity now consists of four cottages in Wensley Dale for the poor widows. In the parish is a lead mine, one of the richest in the kingdom. Miss Ashworth is the principal landowner, and Frederic C. Arkwright esq. J.P. of Willersley, is lord of the manor. The soil is loam; subsoil, limestone. The chief crop is grass. The acreage is 2,005 ; rateable value, £3,823 ; the population in 1881 was 679, chiefly employed in mining.

Parish Clerk, Charles Allison.

POST OFFICE, Wensley.- Miss Mary S. Harrison, receiver. Letters are delivered at Wensley by postman from Matlock Bath about 9.40 a.m. (Cross Green and Darley Bridge about 9 a.m.) ; dispatched at 6 p.m. week days only. Winster is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.

LETTER BOX at Bridge Town, cleared at 6.10 p.m ; Oakerhill, at 6.30 p.m.

The Board meet at the Schoolroom, Cross Green, the first thursday in the month at 6.30 p.m.Clerk & Collector, John K. Coleman, Wensley
Treasurer, B.W. Millward, Matlock Bridge
Medical Officer of Health, Matthew Cantrell, Winster
Surveyors of the Members of the Board, Inspector of Nuisances, John J. Coleman, jun. Wensley
School (mixed), built by subscription in 1862, for 97 children; average attendance, 95 with a Sunday school attached; George Frederick Porter, master


Alvey Samuel, The Beeches, Oaker side
Bentham Henry, Cross green
Booth Rev. John Williams Watney MA [vicar], Vicarage, Cross Green
Brown Miss, Wensley hall
Ellis Thos. Beech Tree house, Oaker side
Shaw James, Prospect cottage, Wensley
Sleigh John J.p. Eversleigh
Vickers Jonathan, Rock villa, Wensley
Walters Thomas, Brook vale, Oaker side
Whittaker Hy. Derwent co. Oaker side
Wright Tom, Bank house


Allen William, farmer, Cross green
Allsop Hy. Red Lion P.H. & farmr. Wensley
Alsop Anthony McLean, agent to the barmaster for the soke and wapentake of Wirkswrth
Armistead Robt. farmer, Snitterton hall
Brailsford James, shopkpr. Darley bridge
Butler Abraham, house decorator & painter, Snitterton
Carline Herbert, shopkpr. Darley bridge
Clay Adam, farmer, Wensley
Clay Benjamin, farmer, Wensley
Clay William, shopkeeper, Wensley
COLEMAN JOHN KEANE, tea dealer, grocer, draper & general warehouseman, & clerk & collector to the urban sanitary authority, Wensley
Coleman John K. jun. inspector of nuisances, Wensley
Dale John (Mrs.), farmer, Savinghay
Derbyshire John, farmer, Wensley
Hadfield William, farmer, Oaker side
Hardy William, farmer, Wensley
Harrison Mary S. (Miss), shopkeepr, Post office, Wensley
Haynes Jn. carpntr. & farmr, Oaker side
Hill, Joseph, farmer, Darley bridge
Monk John, Three Stags' Heads P.H.
Mountney William, farmer, Snitterton
Petts George, manager to the Mill Close Stoop Lead Mine
Potter Chas. wheelwright, Darley bridge
Potter Jane (Mrs.), farmer, Wensley
Potter Jonathan, wheelwright
Potter Joseph Marsden, farmer, Wensley
Reading Room (John K. Coleman, jun hon. sec.), Wensley
Sheldon James Meakin, farmer, Tearsall
Stafford Maria (Mrs.), shopkpr. Snitterton
Stevenson John, mineral agent & assistant overseer, Wensley
Stevenson William, farmer, Oaker side
Wagstaff George, farmer, Wensley
Wain William, farmer, Cowley hall
Walker William Henry, tailor, Derwent View, Oaker side
WASS & SON (trustees of) (Anthony M. Alsop, agent), Mill Close Stoop Lead Mine & Smelting Works, Lea
Young Francis, farmer, Oaker side

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Wensley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock
now includes the Wensley deeds in Volume 6669

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills