Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Turnditch, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.321
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
TURNDITCH (or TURNDICH) is a chapelry and township, and in 1847 was formed into a parish from the parish of Duffield ; it is 3½ miles west from Belper and three quarters of a mile west from ShottIe station on the Derby and Wirksworth branch of the Midland railway, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Appletree, Belper union and petty sessional division, Belper and Ilkeston county court district, rural deanery of Wirksworth, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The village is pleasantly situated on a bold acclivity at the base of which runs the river Ecclesbourne. The chapel of All Saints is a building apparently of the Early English period, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell ; the windows are of post Reformation date; the ancient octagonal font is 25 inches in diameter and rests on a square chamfered base: there are 150 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from 1780, of marriages from 1845, and of burials from 1848; the earlier registers are at Duffield. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £93, including 31½ acres of glebe, in the gift of the vicar of Duffield, and held since 1874 by the Rev. Francis Lambert Cursham B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. A vicarage house was erected in 1863, on a site given by Lord Scarsdale, commanding a fine view of the Ecclesbourne valley. There is a Congregational chapel with Sunday school, erected in 1818, by the late Mr. William Statham, of this place, and Mr. A. Harrison, of Belper, and endowed by Mr. W. Statham. The Primitive Methodists have also a place of worship here. A charity of about £7 yearly, left in 1817 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, is for clothing. The principal landowners are Lord Scarsdale, William Statham esq. J. Gilbert Crompton esq. J.P., D.L. of Brailsford, Mrs. Milnes and Dr John Adsetts. The soil is principally clay; subsoil, clay, gravel and limestone. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley, and about two-thirds pasture. The acreage is 811; rateable value, £1,618; the population in 1881 was 303.

Sexton, Thomas Allcock.

POST OFFICE.-Letters from Derby via. Duffield. Box cleared at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Idridgehay & telegraph office at ShottIe railway station

National School (mixed), erected in 1846, for 110 children ; average attendance, 82 children; John Wale, master ; Mrs. Mary Wale, mistress

Cursham Rev. Fras. Lambert B.A.[vicar]
Haslam Rev. John, Ravenscliffe
Humber Mrs. Hill Cliffe lane
Milnes Mrs
Newcombe Wm. Lister, Green bank
Whiston William Harvey, Holme hurst
Whittaker Mrs. Yew villa

Abell William, Cross Keys P.H
Alton Thomas, boot maker
Fowke Samuel, farmer
Gregory John, shopkeeper
Gregory Joshua, farmer
Harrison Frederick, clock maker
Lomas Robert, farmer
Morley Henry, wheelwright
Richardson Charles Ride, Tiger inn
Richardson Thomas, farmer
Rogers George, farmer
Slater John, farmer, Turnditch hall
Smedley Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Stoppard Tom, farmer
Toogood William, farmer
Wallis Alfred, farmer
Warren George, farmer, Ash house
Willder Samuel Clark, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links
More on site information about Turnditch and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills