Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Tideswell, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.317-320
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
TIDESWELL is a market town and parish 2½ miles north from Miller's Dale station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, 7 north-north-west from Bakewell, 7 east-by-north from Buxton and 157 from London, in the Western division of the county, in the hundred of High Peak, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The town is supplied with water derived from springs on Tideswell Moor, and lighted with gas from works on the Buxton road, the property of the Tideswell Gas Company. The church of St. John the Baptist is a cruciform building of stone, belonging almost exclusively to the Decorated style of the latter half of the 14th century, consisting of an unusually large chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, a south porch with parvise, and a lofty embattled tower at the west end, with battlemented turret-like pinnacles at the angles, terminating in crocketed spirelets ; the tower contains a clock with chimes, erected at a cost of over £300, and 6 bells, the 4th of mediæval date, the 2nd, 3rd and 5th dating from 1659 : the chancel has three stone sedilia and a crocketed piscina, and on the north side are two low arches ; the ancient stone reredos, which stands 5 feet from the east window and is flanked on either side by canopied niches with crocketed pinnacles, extends completely across the east end and has a door on the north side leading to the sacristy; there is also an elaborately carved oak reredos in the form of a triptych immediately above the communion table : the stained east window was inserted in 1876 by Cecil G. Savile Foljambe esq. in memory of his 1st wife Louisa (Howard), d. 1871, and of the Foljambe family, who were great benefactors to the church and the Lady chapel in the 14th century : the innermost bay of the south transepts was anciently the "Meveril" or, as it now called, "De Bower Chapel ;" in its south wall is a high canopied niche, with a piscina beneath it ; the adjoining chapel, being a continuation of the south aisle, belonged to the manor of Litton or Lytton and to the family of that name ; both these, as well as the other chapel in the north transept, being once inclosed by a wooden parclose : the portion of the north transept corresponding with the Litton chapel appears to have belonged to the manor of Wheston, the transept proper forming the Lady chapel or Guild chapel, and having a piscina in the eastern wall : an ancient stone pulpit, or more probably some access to the chancel screen, was removed in 1824, when a new western gallery was built : the beams and principals of the nave and transept roofs are part of the original roof of the Decorated period ; the rest has been carefully renewed in oak and the whole covered with lead : the font is an ancient octagon, carved with various devices : on the moulded shafts in the jambs of the south doorway are two small incised crosses, 3 inches in length and bifurcated at the ends : the old chancel screen, reduced in 1724, when a faculty was granted for the erection of a gallery, has been successfully restored from plans by Mr. J. D. Sedding, architect, of London, the cost being defrayed by a bequest of £300 by Mr. Harrop for this purpose : the earliest monuments in the church are two effigies in the north transept, both females and probably of the 14th century : on the north side of the chancel is a slab with the effigy in brass of Sir Thomas Foljambe, ob. 4 Aug. 1358, with arms and inscription, which has been restored by his descendant, the present Mr. F. G. S. Foljambe ; three other brasses of this family from 1283 to 1323, existing in the early part of the 17th century, have disappeared : in the south transept is a large raised tomb of stone and alabaster, with effigies to Sir Thurstan de Bower and Margaret his wife ; the figures are clad in the costume of the 14th century, the knight wearing a collar of SS, and there is a marginal inscription and one recording the restoration of the tomb and south transept in 1876 by J. Bower Brown esq. J.P. of Woodthorpe Hall, Sheffield : in the centre of the chancel is a large altar tomb to Sir Sampson Meverell, ob. 1462, the upper slab of Purbeck marble bearing a variety of symbolical brasses with inscriptions and an inscribed marginal ribbon of brass, comprising a biography of the knight ; the lower portion or the tomb is open and contains the effigy of an emaciated corpse, carved in stone, with angels supporting the head : on the floor of the Litton chapel is a brass to Sir Robert Lytton and his wife Isabella, with an inscription (1458-83), and excavations have shown that the leaden coffins of both rest immediately beneath the eastern portion of this chapel : westward of the Foljambe tomb is the fine brass of Robert Pursglove or Silvester, prior of Gisburne and seventh and last provost of Rotherham College, dissolved about 1550, and consecrated suffragan Bishop of Hull in 1538, ob. 1579 ; the figure is in eucharistic vestments bearing a pastoral staff on the left shoulder and below is a doggrel epitaph of later date ; the corners of the slab bear evangelistic symbols, and there is a marginal inscription, dated 1579 ; in the south transept is a monument to Capt. Thos. Statham, an officer of cavalry with Charles I. during the civil war, and immediately below is the vault in which many of this family were buried : the restoration of the church has been going on since 1874 and is still (1890) incomplete : in 1884 new oak seats for the choir were placed in front of the chancel screen and a fine oak reredos, communion table and oak eagle lectern erected : a small desk and chair, finely carved, have been executed and presented to the vicar by Mr. Advent Hunstone, of Tideswell, who has also been employed on the carved work of the organ screen and that of the north transept : there are 800 sittings. The register dates from the year 1635. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £159, gross yearly value £270, with 121½ acres or glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and held since 1864 by the Rev. Samuel Andrew M.A. of St. Bees and of St. John's College, Cambridge, prebendary of Southwell, rural dean of Buxton and surrogate. There is a parish library of 200 volumes. The small Catholic chapel here is dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Congregational chapel, built in 1888, affords 300 sittings ; the old chapel is now used as a school. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1889, has 250 sittings. The Primitive Methodist chapel will seat 150. There is a police station, with 4 cells for prisoners. The inhabitants are partly employed in agriculture, some in weaving and others in the neighbouring cotton mills and stone quarrying. Lime kilns and stone quarries are in the neighbourhood : the lead mines are for the present closed. A market, to be held on Wednesdays, was granted as early as the year 1250 to Paulinus Bampton, and is still held on that day, a cattle market being held the second Wednesday in every month, and fairs on March 24th, May 15th, last Wednesday in July, second Wednesday in September, and October 29th, for cattle, horses and sheep. Bishop Pursglove directed that any sums remaining over, from time to time, out of the income of the Grammar School, after paying the master and providing for keeping the farms and premises in proper repair, should be distributed in doles to the poor and needy of the parish of Tideswell and especially to such as should be "aged, impotent, blind, lame and most needy ;" a new scheme for the management of this charity received the royal assent on the 12th August, 1876, by which the fixed sum of £50 a year is directed to be given away to the poor, in doles. The Rev. Francis Gisborne, rector of Staveley, left a sum of money in 1818 to be invested and the interest yearly applied in the purchase of flannel for the poor of certain parishes in Derbyshire, and directed that the incumbents of the parishes, or in their absence or through their failing to act, the churchwardens should distribute the same according to their discretion : £6 15s. is yearly paid to this parish and regularly given away by the vicar. Miss Downes, of Sheffield, by her will in the year 1811, left £100 to the poor of Tideswell ; this sum is received in the month of February, but advanced by the vicar in order to make the dole on the 1st of January. Hodgkinson's charity, paid by the Duke of Devonshire K.G. amounts to £1 15s. a year, and is expended in flannel for the poor. In 1736 Nathaniel Hammersley left £100, the interest of which was then £5 a year, and directed the same to be applied as follows :-£3 12s. to the vicar, £1 4s. to be expended in bread for the poor, and 4s. to the sexton ; the amount was invested in the Sheffield Turnpike Trust, and by a vote of the vestry £36 has been accepted as a composition. Ann Rossington left by will, in 1737, £20 to the poor; William Holmes £60, to be given in bread, and some person unknown £20. This was also invested in the Sheffield Turnpike Trust and a composition of £36 accepted. Robert Mellor left by will in 1736 the sum of 10s. a year, to be distributed on Christmas eve. Bagshaw Hall, situated in the Market square, and erected in 1872, at a cost of about £2,000, on a site given by the Duke of Devonshire, was the gift of the late John Bagshaw esq. of Tideswell, to the "Humane Friendly Indefatigable Union Society," established in 1764 and of which he was a member, its object being the relief of sickness and payment of funeral expenses of members ; it is a fine building of limestone in the Italian style ; the hall itself is about 50 foot long,. 36 wide and 21 high, and has a gallery supported by five arches : there are reading and committee rooms, a large platform, and an illuminated clock over the entrance : since the death of Mr. Bagshaw the residuary legatee has claimed the hall and taken possession of it under the Mortmain Act. The town is considered extremely healthy, and is seated in a valley nearly surrounded by bleak and naked hills, with a clear stream of water running through it, furnished by the overflow of the reservoir from which the inhabitants are supplied. The ebbing and flowing well, from which it is asserted the town took its name, is still in existence, but has long ceased to ebb. Upon the summit of the hill near the town is a stone of rude workmanship, embedded in the earth, with a deep socket, in which a cross was inserted. In the vicinity is Monsal Dale, celebrated for its romantic scenery and picturesque beauty. Eccles Hall, the residence of the Rev. Walter Coombe M.A. is situated near the church. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor and principal landowner.

TIDESWELL DALE, leading to Litton Mill, is a romantic spot, diversified with huge rocks, covered with luxuriant ferns and surrounded with a tangle of bushes, through which runs a small stream. About 500 yards above the town on the west side is a hill called "Summer Cross," affording an extended view ; about half-a-mile north, on the same ridge, is Weston Bank, whence, on a clear day looking west, the hills above Buxton and the famous Axe Edge can be sighted : south-west, are Hindlow, Chelmorton Low, Priestcliffe Low and Taddington church : to the south is Stang Wood, above Stanton village, a distance of about 13 miles, and Haddon Hall, nearer to Bakewell, Colton pastures being also in view : south-east a fine view is obtained of Curbar and Froggatt Edge, and above Great Hucklow can be traced a road, which many years ago was the great coaching road from Cheshire to Yorkshire, along the Sir William hills, with a descent of three miles to Grindleford Bridge ; this road is now little traversed and is nearly overgrown with grass : far to the east can be seen Winnil Knowl, beyond it Hope; a little to the right Bamford Edge, with the spire of Bamford church and Stanedge Pool on the same range, near Redmere dams, which supply Sheffield with water; somewhat to the left of Winnil Knowl can be seen Loose Hill, further beyond, the Woodland Hills and the top of Mam Tor : to the north lies Coombs Mast, beyond this Chapel-en-le-Frith and Rushop Edge ; while on the way from Tideswell to Litton-about mid-way-is a grand view of Taddington Hills, Great Fin and Sheldon ; the Wheeton Bank is a favourite resort of tourists in the summer season. The soil is loamy and light, on limestone. The area of Tideswell is 3,160 acres ; rateable value, £4,793; population in 1881 was 1,985; and of the parish 2,830 ; area of the parish 10,351 acres.

The parish embraces the hamlets of LITTON, CRESSBROOK, WHESTON and MILLER'S DALE.

Litton (or LYTTON), a township, hamlet and village, is three-quarters of a mile east from Tideswell. The base of an old cross occupies the centre of the village.

Divine service is conducted here every Sunday and Wednesday evenings in the Church National school-room, by the vicar of Tideswell and his assistants, and there is a Wesleyan chapel. The charities amount to 7s. 6d. yearly. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture and stone and lime quarrying. The principal landowners are Lord Scarsdale, who is lord of the manor, and the Duke of Devonshire K.G. The soil is light, on limestone, and is chiefly in grass. The area is 1,639 acres; rateable value, £2,374 ; the population in 1881 was 727, including Cressbrook.

Cressbrook, a village in the township of Tideswell, is two miles south from Litton and three south from Tideswell ; here in a glen on the banks of the Wye are the extensive cotton mills carried on by the Cressbrook Mill Co. Limited ; the inhabitants are principally employed in the mills. Here is a mission church, with a turret containing 2 bells, in connection with Tideswell church : divine service is held here every Sunday : there are 150 sittings. Cressbrook Hall is an Elizabethan stone mansion, on the rather steep slope of a well-wooded mountain side, on the banks of the Wye and surrounded by pleasure grounds, about a mile north-west from Monsal Dale station on the Midland railway.

Wheston is a township and hamlet, 1½ miles west. Here is an ancient stone cross, 7 feet in height, on a pedestal 4½ feet high and richly and curiously carved. Newton's charity amounts to £5 yearly. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manor, Thomas Shaw Ashton and Samuel Howe, of Woodley, Stockport, esqrs. are the principal landowners. The area is 1,394 acres ; rateable value, £995 ; the population in 1881 was 73.

Miller's Dale is a hamlet partly in the parish of Wormhill and partly in this parish, with a station on the Midland railway ; a fine iron viaduct supported by massive stone piers, about 100 feet high, carries the Midland railway over the river Wye and the road and forms a boundary between the two parishes. About a mile from the station, by the river side, in the direction of Cressbrook, are the ex-extensive [sic] mills till recently occupied by Messrs. Wood and Brearley, manufacturers of quilts and toilet covers, but now closed. Miller's Dale school church, erected in 1880 is a chapel of ease to Tideswell, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, with a tower containing a clock which chimes the quarters : there are sittings for 120 persons. Chee Tor, a huge rock rising from the valley of the Wye to the height of 350 feet, is near this place.

Parish Clerk, Edwin Slater.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office. -Miss Ida Slater, receiver. Letters are received through Stockport at 7.10 a.m. & 5.5 p.m. ; dispatched at 10.45 a.m. & 8 p.m

POST OFFICE, Litton.-Miss Sarah Walker, receiver. Letters arrive from Stockport at 7.50 a.m. ; dispatched at 7.40 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Tideswell

POST OFFICE, Cressbrook.-Miss Frances Mary Hall, receiver. Letters arrive from Bakewell at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. ; sundays 11.25 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Tideswell. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

POST & T. O., Miller's Dale railway station.-William Whitmore, receiver. Letters through Stockport at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. week days only. Nearest money order office is at Tideswell

Police Station, Frederick Deakins, constable


Certifying Factory Surgeon & Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Tideswell district, Bakewell union, John Latimer Parke
Collector of Poor's Rates for Tideswell, William Townsend ; Litton, George Palfeyman ; Wheston, Henry Elliott
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for Tideswell and district, Edwd. Hunstone; deputy, Clarence Hunstone


The Grammar School, near the church, was founded as a free school in 1560 by Robert Pursglove, bishop of Hull & suffragan of York, who also endowed it with property until lately producing £300 yearly arising from land & houses ; from the autumn of 1872 the school remained closed for six years, during which time it was reconstituted by the Charity Commissioners, by a scheme dated 11th of August, 1876, under which the management is entrusted to a body composed of 13 governors ; the scheme allows the head master to receive boarders ; the school was reopened January 28th, 1879 & has five exhibitions of £5 a year each open to residents in the parish, three being open to scholars from elementary schools ; Rev. Walter Coombe M.A. late scholar of Caius College, Cambridge, head master

Congregational (mixed), erected in 1844, for 230 children ; average attendance, 120 ; Willis Walker, master; Miss Hannah Bramwell, mistress

Cressbrook (mixed), erected in 1842, for 100 children ; average attendance, 60 ; chiefly supported by the Cressbrook Mills Company Limited ; Herbert Lycett, master

Litton National & Sunday (mixed), built, in 1869 for 100 children; average attendance, 52 ; Miss Ellen Walwyn, mistress; Miss Hagar Hunstone, infants' mistress

National (mixed), erected in 1841, for 250 children; average attendance, 135 ; Henry Caldecott, master ; Miss E. Platt,. mistress

Undenominational (mixed), erected in 1880, for 150 children ; average attendance, 69 ; Arthur Kitchen, master

Catholic, a disused factory opened as a school in 1887 ; average attendance, 10 ; Miss Mary Boucher, mistress

Railway Station, Miller's Dale. Wm. Whitmore, station master

CONVEYANCE.-Omnibus from the George hotel to Miller's Dale railway station three times a day


CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH-William Edward Newton, mon. wed. & fri. returning same day

SHEFIELD-John William Dawson, sat. returning same day; Frank Fernando Harrison, mail cart to Millers Dale station twice daily & George Vickers, mail cart, also twice daily



Andrew Rev. Samuel M.A. [canon & rural dean], Vicarage
Coombe Rev. Walter M.A. [head master of Grammar school], Eccles hall
Field James Henry, Pursglove lodge
Gilbert Mrs
Hamilton Miss
Hooker Rev. John Joseph [Catholic]
Howe George Martin
Howe Miss, Sherwood house
Johnson Mrs
Lewis Rev. Matthew [Congregational]
Newton Mrs. Hardy house
Parke John Latimer
Parke Thomas Henry
Stanfield Mrs


Bagshaw Hall (Thos. Howe, proprietor)
Bagshaw Matilda (Mrs.). Star P.H
Ball Arthur Edwin, dentist
Barnes John, grocer & corn dealer
Bennett Alexander, watch maker
Bennett Benjamin, stone mason
Bennett Thomas, farmer
Bennett William, farmer
Bower Ralph, farmer
Bramwell John, greengrocer
Bramwell Rbt. agt. for Prudntl. Assur. Co
Bramwell William, shoe maker
Brightmore Jesse & Sons, stone masons
Brightmore Ezra, stone mason
Brightmore James, stone mason
Brightmore James, jun. stone mason
Brightmore Joseph, stone mason
Brightmore Rbt. stone mason & farmer
Brightmore Robert, jun. stone mason
Brightmore Thomas, stone mason
Brocklehurst John, plasterer
Brocklehurst William, plasterer
Broomhead Henry, Dog P.H
Carter Chas. Joseph C. teacher of music
Carter Frances (Mrs.), millnr.& dress ma
Cartledge Jarvis, tailor
Chapman Frederick, confectioner, tobacconist & glass & china dealer
Chapman James, joiner & builder
Chapman James, shopkeeper & farmer
Chapman John, farmer
Clayton Benjamin, farmer, Tidslow
Clayton George, wheelwright & farmer
Coates R. E. manager of the Manchester & County Bank
Cope James, Three Tuns P.H
Davis Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Dawson John William, carrier
Dawson Joseph, fellmonger
Dawson Samuel, hatter
Drabble James, farm bailiff to Reuben Robinson esq
Duffin Thomas, blacksmith
Eley Thomas, farmer
Esplin Alexander, carpenter
Esplin Elizh. (Mrs.), wine & spirit mer
Esplin William, painter & grainer
Evans Roger. George inn family & commercial hotel, & cattle dealer & farmr
Field James Henry, auctioneer & estate & insurance agent, Pursglove lodge
Flint H. M. & M. A. (Misses), drapers
Flint John, farmer
Flint Matthew, farmer & fruiterer
Flint Philip Heaton, farmer
Furness John H. Bulrs Head P.H. & farmer
Garlick William, coal merchant
Gilbert Jas. (exors. of), tailors & drapers
Gilbert Thomas, hat & shoe dealer &c
Goodwin Frank S. solicitor & commissioner to administer oaths; & at Bakewell & Buxton
Goodwin George, butcher & farmer
Grammar School (Rev. Walter Coombe M.A. head master)
Gratton George, butcher
Gregory Allen, linen draper
Gregory Charles, shoe maker & farmer
Gregory Charles Robert, farmer
Gregory Hannah (Miss), dress maker
Gregory Jacob, farmer
Gregory Samuel, shopkeeper
Gregory William, farmer, Moor
Hadfield John, farmer, Heath house
Hall Elizh. (Miss), dress ma. & milliner
Hall John, farmer
Hall Robert, farmer & agent to Midland railway
Hall Roger, farmer
Halt Thomas, farmer
Handley Lawrence Holmes, White Hart P.H. & butcher
Handley Thomas William, joiner
Handley Wilfred, grocer
Harrison Alexander, printer & stationer
Harrison Ann J. (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Harrison Edward, shoe maker
Harrison Francis, shoe maker
Harrison Fredk. farmer & shoe maker
Harrison Henry, stone mason
Harrison Joseph, grocer
Harrison Samuel, shoe maker
Hibbert William, hair dresser
Hill Alfred & Hedley, monumental masons & stone & wood carvers
Hill James, Rowland & Alfred, contractors, marble masons & building material dealers
Hill Rowland & Sons, stone masons
Hill Alfred, contractor & builder
Hill Brian Hague, plumber &c
Hill Edward, farmer
Hill James, stone mason
Hill Kitty (Mrs.), farmer
Hill William Andrew, plasterer
Howard Edwd. tinner, brazier & gasfittr
Howe Elizabeth (Mrs.), confectioner
Howe Thomas, druggist & grocer
Hudson James & Son, butchers
Hudson Martha Elizabeth & Eliza (Misses), dress makers, linen drapers & farmers
Hunstone Robert & Advent, builders & wood & stone & ecclesiastical carvers
Hunstone Clarence, deputy registrar of marriages, births & deaths for Tideswell sub-district
Hunstone Edward, registrar of marriages, births & deaths for Tideswell sub-district
Jackson Wm. cotton manufactr. & grocer
Leech Fredk. chemist & insurance agt
Leech John, farmer
Leech John, joiner & wheelwright
Lomas Richd. builder, joiner & contractr
Lomas Robt. Peacock P.H. & blacksmth
Longden Robt. grocer, draper & farmer
Makison Daniel, assist. supt. for Prudential Assurance Co
Manchester & Co County Bank Limited (branch) (open wed. & fri. & all fair days 11 to 2.30) (R.E. Coates, manager) ; draw on the Union Bank of London Limited, London EC
Meggison Robert Graham, solicitor
Moody Alfred, grocer
Moseley Thomas, shoe maker
Mosley Joseph, grocer & provision dealr
Mosscrop Joseph James, grocer
Needham Edward, farmer
Needham Thomas, King's Head family & commercial hotel & posting house, & farmer
Newton William Edward, carrier
Palfreyman William Francis, saddler
Parke John Latimer, surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Tideswell district, Bakewell union, & certifying factory surgeon
Parke Thomas Hy. L.R.C.P. Edin. surgn
Plant James, tinner & brazier
Platt Joseph, grocer & farmer
Radford Mary Ann (Mrs.) & Samuel, pork butchers
Robinson Joseph, blacksmith
Robinson, Richard, farmer & fruiterer
Royston James, china & glass dealer
Sayers George, upholsterer & beer ret
Sellars Anthony, stone mason
Sellars Joseph, shoe maker
Sellars Samuel, stone mason
Sellars William, stone mason
Sheldon Alexander, farmer & silk weavr
Sheldon Alfred, silk manufacturers' agt
Sheldon Ann (Mrs.), lodging house, Laburnum house
Sheldon William, farmer
Shenton Robert Heworth M.R.C.V.S. vetinary surgeon
Slack Jabez, slater
Slack James, plasterer & slater
Slack Robert Frederick, green grocer
Slack Samuel, slater & plasterer
Slack Wm. Middleton, printer & stationr
Slack Ida (Miss), post office
Slack Thomas, grocer
Spencer Ann (Mrs.), Belle Vue P.H
Swindell Jospeh, wheelwright
Swindell Thomas, shoe maker
Thornhill William, greengrocer
Tideswell Cricket Club (Thomas W. Handley, hon. sec)
Tideswell Amateur Poultry, Pigeon & Cage Bird Improvement Society (F. F. Harrison, hon. sec.), Cattle market
Tideswell Association for the Prosecution of Felons (J. H. Field, sec. ; Henry Broomhead, Bakewell, solicitor)
Tideswell Floral & Horticultural Society (William A. Bill, sec)
Tideswell & Miller's Dale Coal & General Merchant Co. Limited (Henry Parker Bagshaw, manager) ; & at Railway station, Miller's Dale
Tideswell Gas Light &Coke Co. Limited (F. F. Harrison, sec)
Townsend William, coal & timber merchant & collector of poor rates
Turner Thos. & Wm. farmers, Meadow
Turner Mrgrt. (Mrs.), Cross Daggers P.H
Turner William, greengrocer
Vernon Thos. T. shoe ma. & farmer, Moor
Walker Charles, Horse & Jockey P.H. & auctioneer & valuer
Walker James, farmer
Walker Thomas, draper
Walker Walter, agent for Prudential Assurance Co
Walton Ann (Miss), dress maker
Walton George, farmer & fruiterer
Walton Joseph, farmer & fruiterer
Walton Richard, farmer
Walton Samuel, farmer
Walton William, farmer & cattle dealer
Walton William Henry, farmer & shpkpr
Working Men's Institute (Rev. Samuel Andrew M.A. pres. ; A. Hunstone, sec)
Yates William, beer retailer

Miller's Dale.


Bradbury John Warburton, Railway inn (commercial, family & posting)
Dakin George, miller (water) & farmer
Dakin Henry, coal merchant
Dakin Thomas, miller (water) & farmer
East Buxton Lime Co. (William Brierley, proprietor)
Eley William, farmer & stone dealer
Holmes Thomas, farmer
Little Orme's Head Limestone Co. Lim. quarry owners (Edward Fidler, managing director)
Lomas Maurice, Angler's Rest P.H
Miller's Dale Lime Co. (William Brierley, proprietor)
Moore John, gamekeeper to J. Deakin esq. Wormhill
Mycock Theophilus, carter
Tideswell & Miller's Dale Coal & General Merchant Co. Limited, Railway station
Vickers George, refreshment house, post horses, open & close carriages for hire, Railway station
Wheatcroft Nathaniel & Son, coal merchants, Railway station
Wilshaw George, farmer


Bagshaw Francis Baker
Brierley William
Gregory Mrs
Jackson William Francis, Sterndale ho
Samples Rev. Albert [curate]


Ashton Jonathan, farmer
Bagshaw Francis Baker, farmer
Bagshaw John, farmer
Bennett Mary Ann (Miss), shopkeeper
Bingham William, farmer
Brace William, farmer
Bramwell Thomas, beer retailer & farmr
Brocklehurst Joseph, agent for Prudential Assurance Co
Davis John, farmer
Flint James & Son, coal merchants
Furniss James, farmer
Gibson George, plasterer
Gibson Samuel, plasterer
Gregory Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Hibbert George, stocking maker
Hibbert John Allen, tailor & draper
Hill Alfred, contractor & builder & ecclesiastical carver
Lomas Thomas, shopkeeper
Lomas Thos. jun. shoe ma. New houses
Needham George, farmer
Palfreyman Geo. frmr.& col. of poor rate
Pickford Robert, farmer & butter dealr
Robinson John Robert, Red Lion inn
Robinson Matthew, farmer & mail contractor, Litton fields
Swindell William, Anchor P.H. &farmer
Walker Peter, stocking manufacturer
Walker Sarah (Miss), post office


[Letters through Bakewell.]
Allsop Josiah, greengrocer
Cressbrook Mill Co. Limited, cotton manufacturers (Chas. E. Solly, mangr)
Froggatt William, mine owner
Hall Frances Mary (Miss), post office
Lomas William, farmer & landowner
McConnel Henry (exors. of). farmers
Solly Chas. E. mgr. of Cressbrook mill
Waddell Matt. cashier at Cressbrook ml
Walker & Smith, grocers
Walker Richard, farmer


Ashton Thomas Shaw, farmer & land owner, Highfield house
Bamford James, High Peak tavern
Bradley Thomas, farmer, Hall
Duncan John, farmer
Elliott Hy. farmer, & colt. of poor rate
Goodwin John, farmer
Goodwin William, farmer
Gyte Joseph, farmer
Pearson William, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Tideswell and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills