Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Stanton by Dale, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.305
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
STANTON-BY-DALE is a parish on the borders of Nottinghamshire, with station on the Erewash Valley branch of the Midland railway, 133 miles from London and 7 east-by-north from Derby, in the Ilkeston division of the county, Morleston and Litchurch hundred, Smalley petty sessional division, Shardlow union, Belper and Ilkeston county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Erewash and Nutbrook canal runs through the parish. The church of St. Michael is a building of stone possessing some Early English features, but rebuilt, or considerably altered, about 1350; it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, vestry, organ chamber, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles containing 5 bells, recast in 1872 : to the Decorated period belong the east and one other chancel window and the arcade of three arches separating the nave and aisle with its octagonal pillars and responds; the tower is rather Late Perpendicular, not earlier than 1475: there is a piscina niche, with trefoiled head, on the south side of the chancel, and another within the arch opening from the aisle into the chancel chapel, having above it a half-length figure under a crocketed canopy: the font is an octagon, uniquely carved and of Decorated date: on the outer wall of the chancel are some fragments of incised crosses: there are monuments to Matthew Pilkington LL.B. prebendary of Lichfield (1765), with arms, and others of that family; to Katharine, daughter of Humphry Wolffreston and wife of Ralph Thicknesse (1662), and to Edward Holt (1606), who died at the great age of 100 : the church plate includes a silver chalice and paten, dated 1629-30: the church was thoroughly restored in 1872 at a cost of £1,600, and has about 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1604 for all entries and is in good condition, but the earlier part is a copy from an older book and contains a statement that the entries under 1606 could not be read. The living is a rectory, with the donative of Dale Abbey (annexed since 1702), and average tithe rent-charge £242, net yearly value £192, including 16½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Earl Stanhope, and held since 1873 by the Rev. William Fox B.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford, and private chaplain to the patron. A Wesleyan chapel was erected here in 1860. Almshouses for 8 poor persons were founded in 1711 by Joseph Middlemore, two others by his wife and two more in 1735 from the surplus funds of the same charity, the inmates of which receive sixteen shillings a month each. Here are the extensive ironworks of the Stanton Iron Company. In the parish is a stone cross dated 1632. Earl Stanhope is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 1,442 acres of land and 25 of water; rateable value, £6,664 ; the population in 1881 was 623.

Parish Clerk, David Barber.

POST OFFICE.-David Morrell, receiver, Letters received through Nottingham, arrive at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 7.30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Sandiacre. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

National School (mixed), erected in 1853, for 120 children ; average attendance, 96 ; Miss Margaret Murchie, mistrss

Railway Station, Joseph Smith, station master

CARRIER.-John Thomas Hancock, to Nottingham, sat

Barber Arthur Herbert
Chambers James
Colquhoun James
Crompton George, Stanton hall
Fox Rev. William B.A. Rectory
Repton Enoch
Salt John Arthur

Batty Matilda (Mrs.), Seven Oaks inn
Broad John, lock keeper, Nutbrook canal
Brown Robert Fredk. builder & farmer
Carter Edwin, farmer
Chadwick Thomas, farmer
Doar Thomas, farmer
Goodwin George, lock keeper
Hancock Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Hickson John, farmer
Mee Samuel, shoe maker
Morrell David, saddler, Post office
Pheasant George Henry, farmer
Scattergood Dick Richard, Stanhope Arms P.H. & wheelwright
Stafford Arthur, farmer
Stafford John, shopkeeper
Stafford Samuel, farmer
Stanton Iron Works Company Limited, pig iron manufacturers, & makers of gas & water pipes & general castings (Enoch Repton, sec)
Straw Charles, canal agent
Thornley Wm. The Chequers P.H & shpkpr
Towle Walter, blacksmith

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Stanton by Dale and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills