Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Repton, Derbyshire (with Milton)
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.287-288
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
REPTON is a township, parish and head of a petty sessional division, 1 mile east from Willington station on the London and North Western and Midland railways, 4½ miles north-east from Burton, 7½ south-south-west from Derby and 129 from London, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Burton-upon-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The parish is lighted with gas by a company. The church of St. Wystan is a stone building, principally Early Decorated, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch with parvise, and an embattled western tower with pinnacle, surmounted by a slender and lofty octagonal spire and containing a clock and 6 bells, the first four dated respectively 1721, 1622, 1774, 1513 ; the others being early bells with inscriptions only : beneath the chancel is a most remarkable crypt, the outer walls of which formed part of the cellarage or crypt of the original monastery ; it is a rectangular building or excavation, nearly 17 feet square, with a vaulted stone roof, supported by four spirally-wreathed columns with plain caps, and by eight fluted responds against the walls; in the western angles are two passages, communicating by stairways with the church above : the masonry of the chancel above is also of very early date : the whole church, except the chancel, seems to have been rebuilt at the beginning of the 14th century : the nave is separated from the aisles by Decorated arcade of six lofty pointed arches, on hexagonal piers, those nearest the east end, however, having been re-built, together with the porch, in 1854: the tower and spire, attaining, to the top of the vane, a height of 210 feet, were completed in 1340: during the Perpendicular period the walls of the nave were raised, a flat timber roof fixed and a clerestory formed on each side: in 1792 the church was renovated, but much damage was then done to the carving, glass and monuments, including an altar tomb formerly in the north aisle to Sir Robert Francis, of Tickenhall, the mutilated effigy on which now lies in the crypt : in the south aisle is a large incised slab, with figures of a man and his wife and a marginal inscription to Gilbert Thacker esq. (1563) ; in the north aisle are other memorials to this family (1684-1710) ; on the south side of the chancel arch is a monument, with kneeling figures, much injured in 1854, to George Wakelin, of Bretby, gent. and Elizabeth his wife (1617), and there are various memorials to masters of Repton School and others: in the room over the porch is a fine old parish chest: the church was restored in 1886 at a cost of £4,500, raised by subscriptions, when the nave roof was carefully renovated, the south aisle new roofed, the galleries removed, the floor lowered and relaid and the interior reseated and the choir being fitted with carved oak stalls : the chancel retains an Early English double piscina and an aumbry of the same date: there is a memorial window to the Rev. John Hare M.A. and his wife ; erected in 1886 by their daughter, Emma L. Hare ; the handsome brass eagle lectern was given by Mrs. Bell in memory of her husband, Mr. Adam Bell; the pulpit, of carved oak on a stone base, is a memorial to the late vicar, and, was presented by parishioners and friends in 1887 : there are 600 sittings, 204 being free. The register dates from the year 1580; the older registers are in poor condition, a blank occurring from 1623 to 1630. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £20, net yearly value £145, including 52 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. and held since 1883 by the Rev. George Woodyatt B.A. of St. Peters College, Cambridge. There are Wesleyan and Congregational chapels. Charities producing £14 yearly are distributed. There was a monastery here previous to A.D. 660, both for men and women, under an abbess, in which Ethelbald and Withlaf, kings of Mercia, Kineard, brother of Sigebert, king of the West Saxony, St. Wystan, and others were interred ; in 874 the Danes completely destroyed the monastery, but the Saxons afterwards built a church, dedicated to St. Wystan, and given, about 1160, by Maud, widow of Ranulph, Earl of Chester, to the Austin Canims of Calke, who removed here in 1172. The Priory was dissolved October 26th, 1538, after an existence of 366 years, and the buildings and lands asssigned to Thomas Thacker of Heage, steward to Thomas, Lord Cromwell. Sir Francis Burdett bart. J.P. and Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. D.L., J.P. who are joint lords of the manor, and F. Holbrooke esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is red loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 4,917 acres; rateable value, £11,701; the population of the township in 1881 was 1,724; of the parish, 2,060. In 1880, by the Divided Parishes Act, three detached portions of Repton known as Scaddaws, Southward and Ticknall Village were transferred to Ticknall, and another detached portion, known as Daniel Hayes Farm, annexed to Smisby.

MILTON is a hamlet 1 mile east, containing about 1,321 acres of land.

Parish Clerk, William Bamford.

POST, M.O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office, Repton, John Pattinson, postmaster Letters are received through the Burton-on-Trent office; arrive at 6.30 a.m. & 2.15 p.m. ; dispatched at 10.15 a.m. & 6.25 & 8p.m


Every Sir Henry Flower bart. D.L. Egginton hall, Derby, chairman
Jervis Hon. William Monk B.C.L., D.L. Quarndon, Derby
Burdett Col. Sir Fras. bart. Foremark hall, Burton-on-Trent
Crewe Sir Vauncey Harpur bart. Calke abbey, Derby
Clay Charles John esq. B.A. Holly Bush, Burton-on-Trent
Clerk to the Magistrates, William Harvey Whiston, 25 St. Mary's gate, Derby

Petty Sessions are held at the Boot inn or Bull's Head P.H. every alternate wednesday at 11.30 a.m. The following places are included in the petty sessional division :- Bretby, Calke, Derby Hills, Foremark, lngleby, Melbourne, Melton, Newton Solney, Repton, Stanton-by- Bridge, Ticknall & Winshill


In 1556 Sir John Port devised all his estates in Lancashire & Derbyshire in trust for the foundation & endowment of this school & a hospital at Etwall & in 1621 the master of Etwall hospital, the schoolmaster of Repton, the poor men & the poor scholars were made a body corporate : in 1875 a scheme came into operation, vesting the management of the Grammar school in a governing body & leaving the hospital at Etwall under the control of the hereditary governors : under this scheme the scholars are eight in number, four appointed by the hereditary governors & four by open competition : two exhibitions to the universities are awarded annually by the governors & about four entrance exhibitions : the headmaster's salary is £200 & a house, with capitation fees : the course of instruction includes Latin, Greek, English, Mathematics, Science, French, German & drawing : the yearly cost for tuition & other charges amounting to £25, boarders being received at a yearly charge of £63 : boys are admitted between the ages of 10 & 15 : the present school buildings, erected from designs by Sir Arthur W. Blomfield A.R.A., U.A. as a memorial to the late Dr. Steuart Adolphus Pears F.S.A. nearly 20 years head master, were opened in 1886 & are of Cox bench stone, in the Perpendicular style; in the basement are four class-rooms, with lavatory ; above is the Memorial school, a lofty & spacious hall, 101 feet by 43, with open hammer beam roof rising to a height of 40 feet, capable of seating 800 persons : the north side of the basement is broken up by four segmental arches, which lead into cloisters, at the east end of which is the main entrance to the hall : above the entrance rises a tower, from which a good view may be obtained of the surrounding neighbourhood : the hall is lined with fine oak panelling to a height of 7 feet; at the west end is an orchestra & organ, & at the other end a daïs, all in oak: on the wall at the back of the head master's chair is a tablet with an inscription in Latin recording the circumstances of the erection

Governing Body, His Grace the Duke of Devonshire K.G. ; the Right Hon. Earl of Carnarvon ; the Right Hon. the Earl of Loudoun ; the Bishop of Southwell ; the Right. Hon. & Rev. Lord Scarsdale ; the Right Hon. Lord Gerard; Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. ; Sir Henry Flower Every bart. ; Sir Henry Wilmot bart. V.C., C.B. ; Sir T. W. Evans bart. ; J. Peile esq. ; Hon. F. Strutt ; Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart. ; J. B. Etherington Smith esq. ; Henry Wardle esq. M.P

Head Master, The Rev. William Mordaunt Furneaux M.A. Corpus Christi college, Oxford

Assistant Masters.-Rev. William Johnson M.A. Emmanuel College, Cambridge (bursar) ; Edward Estridge esq. M.A. Trinity College, Oxford ; Rev. Frederick Charles Hipkins M.A. Corpus Christi college, Cambridge ; John Hampton Gurney esq. M.A. Trinity College, Cambridge (chief mathematical & science master) ; Rev. Arthur Francis Emelius Forman M.A. Trinity College, Oxford (chief master of the modern side) ; Rev. John Gould M.A. Trinity College, Cambridge ; Rev. Arthur Cattley M.A. New College, Oxford ; Percy George Exham esq. M.A., St. John's College, Cambridge ; Henry Vassall esq. M.A. Hertford College, Oxford ; Frederick C. Duckworth B.A.. Magdalen College, Oxford ; L. Arthur Burd esq. B.A. Balliol College, Oxford ; Edward Alexander Surtees esq. M.A. Oriel College, Oxford; Godfrey Bowden Smith esq. B.A. Balliol College, Oxford ; Robert Arthur Henry MacFarland M.A. Caius College, Cambridge ; William Thomson esq. M.A. Hertford College, Oxford ; H. F. Meyer esq. Ph.D. Vienna ; Mons. H. Guilmant (French & drawing master) ; Thomas Price esq. St. Edmund Hall, Oxford (vocal music & piano) ; William John Stephenson Peach esq. (engineering) ; Herbert George Cronk M.A., M.B. (medical officer)

Parochial School, for 80 boys, 80 girls & 60 infants ; average attendance, 75 boys, 77 girls & 49 infants ; Edwin Hopcraft, master; Martha Emily Beaumont, head mistress ; Miss Elizabeth A. Tinkler, infants' mistress

CARRIERS.-Mrs. Joseph Twells & George Bladon, to Burton, mon. & thurs. ; to Derby, tues. & fri



Burd Lawrence Arthur B.A
Cattley Rev. Arthur M.A
Clucas Rev. George Petman M.A
Duckworth Frederick C. B.A
Estridge Edward M.A
Exham Percy Geo. M.A. The Hermitage
Forman Rev. Arthur Fras. Emilius M.A
Furneaux Rev. William Mordaunt M.A. [head master]
Gould Rev. John M.A
Guilmant Mons. H
Gurney John Hampton H.A
Hipkins Rev. Frederick Charles M.A
Johnson Rev. William M.A. [bursar]
MacFarland Robert Arthur Henry M.A
Meyer H. F. Ph.D
Price Thomas
Smith Godfrey Bowden B.A.
Surtees Edward Alexander M.A
Thomson William M.A
Vassall Henry M.A


Ashmole Richard
Auden Mrs
Barrs Henry
Bell Mrs. The Heyes
Cronk Herbert George M.A., M.B
Dean Mrs
Holbrooke Mrs
Holbrooke Miss
Hughes John Spittle
Jones Henry Cadman, Bowerhill
Measham Miss
Measham Miss Ann
Peach William John Stephenson
Smith Mrs. Seth
Twigg Mrs
Woodyatt Rev. George B.A. Vicarage


Asbury John, basket maker
Barrs Henry, farmer
Bentley Benjamin, tailor
Bladon George, carrier
Bladon James, boot maker
Brooks George, shoe maker
Brown John, brush maker
Brown Thomas, Shakespeare P.H. grocer, butcher & farmer
Brown Walter, butcher
Brownson Thomas, Bull's Head P.H
Bull Samuel (Mrs.), farmer
Burnett Clifford, farmer
Collier Joseph, painter & glazier
Collyer William, boot & shoe maker
Cronk Herbert George M.A., M.B. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Repton district, Burton-on-Trent union
Dalby John, joiner
Derbyshire Yeomanry Cavalry (D troop) (Capt. C.C. Cumming, commandant ; Corporal T. Kerry, drill instructor & school sergeant )
Dolman & Sanders, builders
Eaton George, pattern maker
Eaton John, wheelwright
Gillman Charles, painter
Goodall James, farmer
Grammar School (Rev. William Mordaunt Furneaux M.A. head master; Rev. William Johnson M.A. bursar)
Green James, painter
Marshall Sarah (Miss), linen draper
Martin Dorothy (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Matthews William, farmer, Luscoe
Meakin George, farmer
Measham Misses, farmers
Melen James, confectioner
Morley John, farmer, Repton waste
Parker Edwin, tinner & brazier
Parker William, ironmonger
Pattinson Jn. grocer & draper,Post office
Peach Henry, wheelwright
Peach William, blacksmith
Peach William, Boot inn
Pegg Eliza (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Repton Gas Light & Coke Co. Limited (Joseph Astle, manager)
Rowland George, beer retailer
Sanders Richard, miller
Sarson Richard, beer retailer
Scothern Hy. dealer in cricketing goods
Shaw Fras. relieving officer for northern district of Burton-on-Trent union
Sheavyn Samuel, farmer
Shorthouse Henry, saddler
Skevington Augustus, grocer, & agent for Kennaway & Co. wine & spirit men
Taylor Isaiah, boot & shoe maker
Thorp John (Mrs.), farmer
Thorp Lizzie (Mrs.), fancy repository
Thorp Thomas, grocer & baker
Turner Henry, tailor
Twells Joseph (Mrs.), carrier
Ward Charlotte (Miss), Mitre inn
Watts Samuel, New inn
Watts Lucy (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wroughton John, painter & glazier


Crewe John Edward
Farmer Mrs
Bell John, Swan P.B
Brown Gervase, farmer
Goodall Edward Henry, farmer
Haynes William, cattle dealer
Stevenson Thomas, farmer
Trent Fish Culture Go. (William John Peach, manager)
Wayte Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Wheatcroft Caroline (Mrs.), shopkeeper

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Repton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills