Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Monyash, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.267
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
MONYASH, in Domesday "Maneis," situated among the hills, is a small town, chapelry and township, with ONE ASH, 5 miles from Miller's Dale station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway,5 south-west from Bakewell and 8 from Buxton, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Bakewell union, petty sessional division, county court district and rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby, diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Leonard consists of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower with an octagonal spire, containing 3 bells, the 2nd of which is of ancient date, with an invocation to the Virgin; the 1st and 3rd are respectively dated 1732 and 1656 : in the south waIl of the chancel are three graduated sedilia under a Norman arcade, prolonged towards the east so as to include a piscina under the fourth arch: traces of Early English work appear in a blocked window in the chancel, and in its buttresses : the east window is square-beaded with plain mullions and almost all the other windows are somewhat similar, either Perpendicular or of some more debased style : the font is a pannelled octagon, bearing on one panel a quatrefoil, and on another a shield of arms: the roofs are all flat and plastered, and there is a gallery at the west end: in the south aisle is a sort of transept or chantry, and in the north aisle are remains of the doorway leading to the rood-Ioft ; some portions of the tower are Early English; in it is preserved an ancient chest, 10 feet long by 2 feet broad and bound with many clamps of iron : in 1887 the church was thoroughly restored, mainly at the expense of the Ven. Dr. Balston, archdeacon of Derby and vicar of Bakewell ; the chancel, portions of the body of the church and the tower and the whole of the spire were rebuilt, the old material being used as far as practicable; the church was also new-roofed and reseated : there are 183 sittings. The register dates from the year 1701. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £45, including 64 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Bakewell, and held since 1888 by the Rev. W. Harold Ford, of Trinity College, Dublin. The Society of Friends have a meeting-house and the Primitive Methodists a new chapel. There are charities of about £16 annual value for distribution, left in 1818 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley. A weekly market on Tuesdays was granted to this place in 1340, and a fair for three days at the festival of Holy Trinity; these are now discontinued. An ancient market cross, now consisting of the shaft and base only still stands in the centre of the village. It is recorded in Domesday that Monyash was a penal settlement for refractory monks. A Barmoot court is held here once in six months, for determining all disputes and debts relating to lead mines in the hundred of High Peak. The principal landowners are William Finney esq. who is lord of the manor, Stephen Melland esq. and the trustees of the late Richard Finney esq. The land is principally on limestone; the whole district has a bleak appearance, the partition fences being all stone walls without mortar. The area is 3,416 acres ; rateable value, £3,069 ; the population in 1881 was 399.

HUNTLOW, Hurdlow, Whim and Ditchhead are places here.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Bonsall.

POST OFFICE.-William Palfreyman, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 10.30 a.m. through Bakewell, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office ; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. week days only. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
National School (mixed), erected in I871 by subscription & enlarged in 1890, for 103 children ; average attendance, 70 ; the school is endowed with £29 yearly, arising from land formerly belonging to the Free School ; a certain number of boys & girls are still educated free ; John Jones Morgan, master; Mrs. Mary Ann Morgan, mistress for infants

To Bakewell, William Bonsall & James Briddon, on fri
To Buxton, William Bonsall, on sat. returning same day

Critchlow William
Finney Mrs. Ivy house
Ford Rev. W. Harold, Vicarage
Harrison Thomas
Melland Stephen


Andrew William, farmer, Highlow
Bagshaw James, farmer
Bembridge Benjamin, cattle dealer
Bembridge Job, huckster
Bonsall Joseph, farmer
Bonsall William, farmer & carrier
Bramwell Thomas, blacksmith
Briddon James, farmer & carrier
Briddon Saml. frmr. The Cales, One Ash
Bunting Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Critchlow James, farmer & cattle dealr
Critchlow John Henry, shopkeeper
Critchlow Mark, Bull's Head P.H. Hurdlow
Dutton Joseph, farmer
Finney Martha (Mrs.), farmer, Ivy ho
Frost David, farmer
Greensward Mining Company (Thomas Hampson Brown, manager), proprietors of lead & ochre mines
Harrison Jas. farmer & tallow chandler
Hawley Thomas, wheelwright
Hawley William, farmer, Summerhill
Heathcote Robert, wheelwright
Hibbert John, coal merchant
Housley John, farmer
Housley John, jun. farmer
Johnson Edwin, mason
Lomas George, farmer, One Ash grange
Melland Stephen, farmer & landowner
Mellor Benjamin, farmer, Whim farm
Millington John, farmer, Endmoor
Millington Joshua Caleb, marble & chert merchant
Needham John, Golden Lion P.H
Palfreyman William, butcher & grocer, Post office
Skidmore Martha (Mrs.),Bull's Head P.H
Webster George, farmer, Rake End

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Monyash and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills