Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Mickleover, Derbyshire (with Findern and Littleover)
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 264-5
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
MICKLEOVER is a parish on the road from Derby to Uttoxeter, with a station on the Great Northern railway, I½ miles from the village, 129 miles from London and 3 west-south-west from Derby; it is in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Burton-upon-Trent union, Derby county court district and petty sessional division, rural deanery of Longford, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell, The church of All Saints, a building of stone, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, vestry and a low embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 3 bells, dated respectively 1657, 1742 and 1591 : the church was restored in 1858, when a new porch was built, the north aisle lengthened and a vestry erected : all the old features of the building are Decorated : the nave has an arcade of four Pointed arches, on octagonal piers, restored, especially on the north side, in 1858 : in the south chancel wall is a piscina with shelf, under a trefoil arch, and one of the chancel windows forms a sedile : the tower, wholly of the Decorated period, is entered from the nave by a narrow pointed arch : the ancient font, now discarded and placed in a cottage garden near the churchyard, is an octagonal basin of Decorated work : the east window, which has Geometrical tracery, is stained : there are 350 sittings, 200 being free. The register dates from the year 1603. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £283, derived from 190 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Lord Scarsdale, and held since 1872 by the Rev. Reginald Canning Bindley M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and chaplain to the Derby County Asylum. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The charities amount to about £35 yearly as follows : Gisborne's charity, £7 5s. yearly, and Newton's charity £6 5s. yearly, are both expended in the purchasing of flannel and other warm clothing for distribution amongst the poor ; Pole's charity, £10 yearly, is devoted to the apprenticing of poor boys; and Robert Newton's charity, amounting to £6 8. 4d. yearly, is appropriated towards the maintenance of the Mickleover day schools. The Limes, a modern house, commanding extensive views, is occupied by Henry Edward Ayre esq. The Manor House, a mansion of red brick, is the seat of Charles Edmund Newton esq. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Charles Edmund Newton esq. D.L., J.P. and Samuel Wade. The soil is loamy ; subsoil various. The chief crops are oats, wheat and barley, and a good portion of pasture. The acreage is 2,334; rateable value, £6.835; the population of the township in 1881 was 1,413, including 397 inmates and 82 officers of the asylum.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. & B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- George Wall, postmaster, Letters arrive through Derby at 4.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 8.40 p.m

County Lunatic Asylum, about 1 mile south-west from the village & 2 miles from the Great Northern Railway station is a building in the Elizabethan style, constructed of red brick, with portions of blue Staffordshire brick & stone dressings, standing on rising ground & has a southern aspect, overlooking the valley of the Trent, the Charnwood hills, Needwood & portions of Nottinghamshire & Staffordshire & is surrounded by an estate of 101 acres ; the building contains 16 wards & is available for 477 patients, there being at present (1891) 456 ; the asylum includes a large entertainment room & dining hall, capable of seating 250 persons : the east of the building, opened 21 August, 1851, was £84,107 19s. 9d.: the chapel, erected in 1869, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, transept & a tower with north porch & spire : the east window is stained & there are also four vitremaine windows, placed in the church by Mrs. Murray-Lindsay, & 300 sittings : in 1879 a water tower was erected, capable of holding 20,000 gallons ; George Crompton, treasurer; James Murray Lindsay M.D. superintendent physician ; Richard John Legge M.D. assistant medical officer; Rev. Reginald Canning Bindley M.A. chaplain ; Benjamin Scott Currey, clerk to the committee ; Harry Langley, clerk ; Frank Barton, storekeeper ; Alexander McWilliams, resident engineer ; Miss Ada Martha Rawlings, housekeeper ; Harry Bird & Miss Mary Withers, chief attendants

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; Arthur Suggett, clerk to the board ; George Payne, school attendance officer
Board School (mixed & infants), erected in 1880, for 150 boys & girls & 100 infants; average attendance, 70 boys, 50 girls & 50 infants; John Hargreaves Beare, master; Mrs. Sarah Ann Beare, mistress; Miss Louisa Blackwell, infants' mistress

Findern is a parish formed out or Mickleover in 1866, and is 5 miles south-west-by-south from Derby, and 1½ from Repton and Willington stations on the Derby, Burton and Birmingham section of the Midland railway. The Grand Trunk canal runs close by. The Church of All Saints erected in 1863, in place of an ancient chapel of the same name, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, south porch, nave, north aisle and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 2 bells, and dated 1841 and 1704 : two ancient monuments, at least, disappeared during the rebuilding, but there remains the tympanum of the old north doorway, now built into the north aisle, and an octagonal font of 1666 : the east window and others on the south side of the chancel are stained, besides two in the nave and aisle : there are sittings for 212 persons : the church plate is considered the oldest in the county and bears the hall mark of 1564-5. The register dates from the year 1558, but the ink is much faded and the writing in many places illegible ; down to 1660 it is a copy of an older book. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £120, derived chiefly from 67 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1872 by the Rev. Benjamin Ward Spilsbury M.A. Trinity College, Cambridge. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The Rev. Benjamin Ward Spilsbury M.A. and Sir Vauncey Harpur Crewe bart. D.L., J.P. of Calke Abbey, are considerable landowners here. The area is 1,600 acres; rateable value, £6,704; the population ill 1881 was 405.
Parish Clerk, George Bates.

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5 p.m. except sundays. Letters through Derby arrive at 9 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Willington

Public Elementary School (mixed), opened in 1874, for 120 children ; 25 infants ; average attendance, 40 boys, 36 girls & 25 infants; William Booth, master; :Mrs. Elizabeth Booth, mistress

CARRIERS TO DERBY.-William Whitmore, fri. puts up at 'White Swan,' in St. Peter's street; Frederick Whitmore, fri puts up at 'Old Crown,' Morledge

Littleover, from 1½ to 2 miles south-west-by-south from Derby, is a straggling village, and in 1886 was formed into a parish out of Mickleover and is in the Shardlow union. The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, consisting of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a turret on the western gable containing one bell : at the west end is a round-headed Norman doorway, rather late in style, hut now built up : the font, a massive circular one, also of this period, but the church seems to have been very thoroughly restored during the prevalence of the Decorative style : the chancel and nave windows are 14th century and similar to those of Mickleover, and in the chancel a plain piscina : against its north wall is a costly monument, with arms, to Sir Richard Harpur k.t. J.P. (1635) and Mary his wife, with effigies of both kneeling at a desk, the knight in a long gown, with hanging sleeves and the lady in a black dress, ruff and hood; below are the figures of seven children, with an inscription: two stained windows on the south side of the nave are memorials to the late Mr. Morley, many years churchwarden of this parish: the church was restored in 1871-2, when an organ chamber and vestry were built, the chancel floor renewed, choir stalls fitted and an effective reredos erected : the church plate includes a chalice, dated 1687: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680 and is in good condition. The only ancient record is an old parchment map (1768), preserved in the church, showing the manor of Littleover, with the several inclosures, allotments and roads, and has the award attached. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £17, with 78 acres of glebe, value £154, net yearly value £I20, with residence, in the gift of Lord Scarsdale, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Harcourt Suft Anson. The vicarage house is a large and handsome residence, standing in well-kept grounds, and commands extensive views of the surrounding country. Here are Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels. There is a village library of 400 volumes, under the superintendence of the vicar, members paying a small subscription. There is a local horticultural society in connection with Littleover, established in 1870, and holding an annual flower and vegetable show with athletic sports in August. The acreage, 1,000 acres ; rateable value, £5,677; the population in 1881 was 776.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. -David Bryan, postmaster. Letters arrive through
Derby at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. & 7.55 p.m
National School (mixed & infants}, erected for 110 boys & girls & 50 infants ; average attendance, 45 boys, 44 girls & 37 infants ; Benjamin Toft, master ; Miss Mary Annie Toft, mistress; Miss Edith Martha Toft, assistant mistress



Ayre Henry Edward, The Limes
Beare John Hargreaves
Bindley Rev. Reginald Canning M.A. Vicarage
Brigden Geo. The Gables, Station road
Finney Thomas
Hind Misses
Hodson John, The Lodge
Legge Richard John M.D. County Lunatic Asylum
Lindsay James Murray M.D. County Lunatic Asylum
Newton Chas. Edmd. J.P., D.L. Manor ho
Rawlings Miss Ada Martha, County Lunatic Asylum
Ryley Thomas, Green Hill
SaIt Charles John, Sunnyside
Suggett Arthur
Wade Edward Job, The Brooklands
Wade Samuel, Ivy house
Wallroth Conrad Adolphus M.A. Mickleover house
Watson Miss
Woodiwiss Lady, The Pastures


Bailey Henry, farmer, Slakerfield
Bailey John, parish clerk
Bailey Thos. farmer, Mickle meadows
Baines David, gardener
Baker Geo. station master G.N.R.station
Bratby Jas. farmer, Mickle Meadows fm
Buxton Abraham, shopkpr. Station rd
County Lunatic Asylum (James Murray Lindsay M.D. supt. physician ; Rchd. John Legge ; assistant medical officer ; Rev. Reginald Canning Bindley M.A. chaplain
Clark Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer
Cluer Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Derby Co-operative Provident Society Lim.(branch) (Wm. Hinton, manager)
Dicken William Henry, farmer assistant overseer & rate collector Bonehill frm
Evans Thomas, joiner, The Green
Finney Charles, farmer, Manor farm
Finney Thomas, jun. farmer, The Grange
Goodman John, farmer, Station road
Grainger Henry, farmer
Hill Hannah & Mary (Misses), shopkprs
Hill Edward, shoe maker
Hill Samuel, baker
Hodgkinson Richard, farmer
Hodgkinson William, farmer
Holmes John Brooks, blacksmith
Howman Saphus, farmer
Jarrett Henry, Great Northern hotel
Kent George, farmer
Knight Frederick, farmer
Manuwell Benjamin, farmer, Stakerfield
Newman William, shopkeeper
Oliver George, Mason's' Arms P.H
Oliver Ths. market gardener, The Laurels
Patrick John Henry, boot maker
Pegge Thomas, farmer
Pickering Hermon, farmer
Potter Alfred, coal agent & farmer
Potter Benjamin, farmer
Poyser Thomas, gardener
Radford Thomas, farmer
Ratican Thomas, Nag's Head P.H
Storer Frederick, bricklayer
Storer Philip, farmer, New House farm
Suggett George Beadnall, carpenter, coal merchant & brick manufacturer
Swindell Joseph, farmer, Staker lane
Wade John, farmer
Wade Samuel, farmr. & landownr. Ivy ho
Wall George, postmaster
Warner John, shopkeeper
Watson John, wheelwright
Whitworth Thomas, blacksmith
Wragby Thomas, farmer, Bannel lane
Yates Thomas, farmer


Eggo Thomas, Highfield house
Fowers Francis
Gilford Mrs
Hole Mrs
Jones Joseph
Spisbury Rev. Benj. Ward M.A. [vicar]
Tomlinson Miss, The Cottage
Tomlinson William, Somerville house


Ashmole Job, farmer
Ashmole Joshua, farmer
Bates George, parish clerk & farmer
Bull Hezekiah, farmer & overseer
Cameron Alexander, farmer
Camp John, farmer
Camp Richard, farmer
Camp Robert, farmer
Dawes Frederick, farmer
Dolman John, farmer
Dyche William Chas. Greyhound inn
Edwards Herbert, farmer, The Hall
Ford Isaac, farmer & assessor of taxes
Gibson Bricilla (Mrs), shopkeeper
Harrison Frances (Mrs.), farmer
Haynes, Henry, beer retailer
Hicklin George, farmer
Hodgkinson Geo. wheelwright & farmer
Hodgkinson Hedley; farmer
Hodgkinson William, farmer
Johnson Edwin, farmer
Platts James, wheelwright
Prosser John, Wheel inn
Reeves John Arthur, farmer
Richardson Thomas, farmer, Potlocks
Stevenson Richard, farmer
Stevenson Thomas, farmer
Thompson Benjamin, farmer
Watson Elizh. (Mrs.), farmer & butcher
Watson Jane (Mrs.}, farmer
Watson Thomas, farmer
Whitmore Frederick, farmer & carrier
Whitmore Samuel, florist
Whitmore William, shoe maker, shopkeeper & carrier
Wood William, farmer
Woollatt Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Yeomens Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Yeomens Thomas, chimney sweeper



Anson Rev. Harcourt Suft, Vicarage
Archer Mrs
Dawson George, Chain lane
Dyer Allen, Albert villa
Eastwood Mrs. Littleover grange
Gascoyne George, Fairfield house
Gascoyne Joseph Hy. J.P. Fairfield ho
Giillman Miss, New Villa
Goff Mrs. Heath villa
Hodges Richard John
Hume Miss, Rose villa
Hurt Mrs. The Knoll
Jones Mrs: Alexandra villas
Kinsey Miss
Montgomery Wm. Arthr. Patk. The Yews
Noble John
Palethorpe Mrs. Shakespeare villa
Pegge William Henry
Pimley Joseph
Radford Francis, New villa
Richardson Joseph Handford
Stewart William, Alexandra villas
SwingIer Joseph, Sydney house
Toft Benjamin, Scarsdale house
Turner George Henry, Littleover house


Barker Thomas, wheelwright
Bignell George, shopkeeper
Bryan David, postmaster
Clewes John, farmer, The Old hall
Cooper John, White Swan P.H
Derby Co-operative Provident Society Lim.(branch 9) (Wm. North, mangr)
Dicken William, farmer. The Elms
Edwards Thomas, farmer
Hadfield George, chimney sweep
Hicking Geo. & Son, herb beer manufrs
Hoe Edgar, gardener, The Yews
Hunt John, farmer
Innes Wm. & Co. plant food manufrs
Jerram William, milk dealer
Kirkland George, farmer, Moorway
Lawrie James, farmer
Lindley Samuel, parish clerk
Littleover Horticultural Society (Benjamin Toft, sec)
Morley William, farmer & cattle dealer
Musgrove Samuel, blacksmith
Odams Thomas, farmer, Furbrook
Oliver RIchard dairyman
Page John Henry, Half Moon P.H
Parker Richard, farmer
Parsons Richard, insurance agent
Pegge John Blake. farmer
Shaw John, farmer, Chain lane
Spencer John, shopkeeper
Storer John, farmer, Ivy house
Tomlinson Martha (Mrs.), farmer, Oakland farm
Tranter Mary Ann (Mrs.), provision dealer
White Thomas, farmer, Huffin heath

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Mickleover and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills