Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Marston Montgomery, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.252
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
MARSTON MONTGOMERY is a parish and scattered village, 7 miles south-south-west from Ashborne, 5 north-west from Uttoxeter, 14 west-by-north from Derby, and 2 east from Rocester station on the North Staffordshire railway, in the Western division of the county, Appletree hundred and petty sessional division, Uttoxeter union and county court district, rural deanery of Ashborne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Giles consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, with an arcade of three arches, on massive stone columns, south porch and a turret at the west end, containing a clock and 3 bells, dated respectively 1774, 1636 and 1632 : the oldest part of the church is the plain semicircular chancel arch, a work of the 10th or 11th century ; the south doorway is Norman, as is the priest's door in the chancel, and also the plain circular font; there are two lancet windows of the Early English period in the chancel, but the east window and one in the south wall of the nave are Decorated; some elegantly carved panels, taken from the old pews, are carved with initials and the dates 1639, 1699, and 1703 ; there is a plain piscina in the south chancel wall; the east window is a memorial to John Davys esq. sometime patron of the church, and his wife Rhoda, and was erected by their daughter Sarah Jane Humfrey; on the south side of the chancel is a stained lancet window, erected by George Prince, of Dove house, and another erected to William Bowyer, by his widow; considerable alterations were effected in the church in 1824 at a cost of £400, and in 1876 the church was thoroughly restored at a cost of £2,500 and a new organ was erected in 1885 at a cost of £100, all raised by voluntary ; subscriptions: the church plate includes a chalice dated 1606 : there are 120 sittings all free : the churchyard contains a fine old yew tree, and some curious old tombs. The register, up to 1660, was kept in common with that of Cubley, and the first volume of the separate entries dates from that year; the registers of this parish are still kept at Cubley. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Cubley, average tithe rent-charge £310, joint yearly value £52 including 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of late John Davys esq. and held since 1858 by the Rev. Cave Humfrey, of St. Bees, who resides at Cubley. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, in 1845. Here are various small charities for the poor. The principal landowners are Lord Vernon J. Harrison esq. Mrs. Landor and Messrs Richardson and Copestake. The soil is partly heavy and partly light; subsoil, chiefly clay, with marl and gravel. The land is chiefly in pasture for dairy produce. The acreage is 2,475; rateable value, £3,786; the population in 1811 was 379.

WALDLEY is a hamlet about 1 mile south-west.

POST OFFICE.-Willie Parkes, receiver. Letters through Derby arrive about 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. ; the nearest money order & telegraph office is at Rocester

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1876; George Tomson Marston brook, clerk to the board
Board School (mixed), erected in 1872, at a cost of £250 for 60 children; average attendance, 40 ; Mrs. Caroline E. Skidmore, mistress

Gallimore Mrs
Prince George, Dove house
Webb Misses, Clownholme

Allcock Thomas, farmer
Ball Samuel, Thurvaston Arms P.H
Bates William, farmer
Beck William, farmer, Bank top
Brindley Thomas, farmer
Chamberlain Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Cope George, cowkeeper
Eardley Ann (Mrs.), Crown inn
Emery George, farmer
Gallimore John, farmer, Marston lodge
Goodall Trevor, farmer & landowner, Waldley
Goodall Walter, farmer & landowner, Shrub cottage
Goodall William John, landowner & farmer
Hewson George, farmer
Jeffery George, shoe maker
Lear George, cheese & bacon dealer
Maddocks David, farmer
Marston Montgomery Dairy & Trading Co. Limited (George Tomson, sec)
Nash Henry, farmer
Oakden John, farmer, Manor house
Oakden Robert, shopkeeper
Parkes Willie, shopkeeper, Post office
Prince George, farmer, Marston park
Salt John, farmer
Silcock Harriet (Mrs.), farmer
Skidmore Robert, farmer
Skidmore Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Smith James, farmer
Smith William, farmer
Tomson George, farmer, & sec. to the Marston Montgomery Dairy & Trading Co. Brook House farm
Watson Stephen, farmer, Daisy bank
Weston Samuel, farmer, Hollyhurst
Weston Thomas, farmer
Wheeldon Edward, farmer & landowner, Highfield house
Wilson William, farmer
Wright John, blacksmith

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Marston Montgomery and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills