Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.236-7
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
ILKESTON (anciently "TILCHESTUNE") forms with COTMANHAY a municipal borough, with stations on the Erewash Valley railway (Midland), by a branch from Ilkeston junction, and of the Great Northern railway, 125 miles from London, 8 west-by-north from Nottingham and 9 east-north-east from Derby, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Smalley petty sessional division, union of Basford, county court district of Belper, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Ilkeston junction station of the Erewash Valley railway with the Midland line to Nottingham, is locally in the parish of Cossall, Notts. The town stands on a hill near the river Erewash and the Erewash canal, commanding beautiful views in every direction. The Nutbrook canal, beginning at Shipley, passes on the western side of the parish. The town received a charter of incorporation in 1887, the corporate body consisting of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors, and is divided into three wards ; the corporation acting as the Urban Sanitary Authority ; it is lighted with gas from works the property of the Corporation, and supplied with water from Kirk Hallam. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone, consisting of chancel with a north aisle or chapel, nave, aisles, and a lofty pinnacled tower at the west end containing a clock and 5 bells, dating from 1660 to 1749: the church originally had a spire, but the tower and spire being much damaged by a great storm in 1714, a brief was obtained, and money collected in 1723 for their rebuilding, at an estimated cost of £1,350; in 1731 the tower only was rebuilt, and in 1855 was removed and the present tower erected, the outer walls of the aisles being renewed, and the west end of the aisles, vestry and north chancel aisle rebuilt, all on the old foundations: the lofty arcade of three arches separating the nave and south aisle is Transitional and has circular piers; the arches being ornamented with the chevron and nail-head device : the windows in both aisles were renewed in 1855: the spacious chancel which is also Transitional, retains three sedilia, with deeply recessed Pointed arches and a double piscina, divided by a single shaft into two trefoiled arches, with a quatrefoil in the head : in the south aisle is a small piscina, and in the north a sepulchral recess : the chancel and nave are separated by a remarkable stone screen of five cinquefoiled arches, supported by circular shafts of grey marble, the whole resting on a low stone wall ; the general character of this work, though possessing some Early English features, is Decorated: on the north side of the chancel is an altar tomb on two steps, with arcaded sides, bearing the effigy of a knight in chain mail, with a tunic, and carrying on his left arm a shield with the arms of a Cantelupe, lord of Ilkeston, who died c. 1275-80, or his son William de Cantelupe, 1307: the vestry retains a parish chest of the Perpendicular period : in 1889 the organ was rebuilt, an organ chamber added and the whole of the interior of the church thoroughly renovated, at a cost of nearly £3,000: there are 700 sittings. The register dates from the year 1586, but is defective between 1676 and 1679. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £81,net yearly value £285, including 59 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the Duke of Rutland G.C.B. and held since 1887 by the Rev. Edwd. Muirhead Evans M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The Vicarage House, which stands in a good central position, has lately been rebuilt. Holy Trinity church, begun in 1883, was completed in 1890 at a total cost of £5,500, exclusive of internal fittings, and is a building of Matlock stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, organ chamber and sacristy, but has no tower or bell, it being considered unsafe to put much weight on the ground owing to the underworkings of the coal mines : the communion table is formed of a fine stone slab 10 feet 9 inches long, resting on strong supports of solid oak, which are divided into three panels, richly carved : the brass ornaments, including a cross, candlesticks and vases were specially designed, and executed at a cost of £50: the pulpit is of carved oak, consisting of three panels, representing The Sermon on the Mount, St. Paul at Athens, and St. Peter preaching on the day of Pentecost: there are four stained windows, and the church affords 500 sittings. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £130, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1880 by the Rey. John Harry Buchanan M.A. of Edinburgh University. The Catholic church, dedicated to Our Lady and St. Thomas of Hereford, and built in 1862, is a plain red brick building with 180 sittings, of which 140 are free: the mission was begun in 1858. The Baptist chapel, Queen street, has sittings for 600 persons; the Christian Testament Disciples have a chapel in Belvoir street, seating 380 ; the Congregational chapel, Market place, has 350 sittings, of which so are free; the Methodist New Connection chapel, Stamford street, seats 700 ; the Primitive Methodist chapel, Bath street, 800; the Unitarian chapel, Anchor row, Market place, 100; Wesley Free Methodist chapel, South street, 550, of which 150 are free; Ebenezer Free Methodist chapel, Awsworth road, 500, of which 250 are free; and the Wesleyan chapel, Bath street, 350, of which 150 are free. The Free Methodist Mission room, Station road, has 80 sittings. The general cemetery of 2 acres, in Stanton road, opened in 1864,at a cost of £400, is private property and unconsecrated, and there is no mortuary chapel : it is managed by a burial board of 7 members, who meet every month at 6 p.m. at the office in the cemetery. The Town Hall, situated in the Market place, and built in 1868, is a plain brick building, in which petty sessions are held every week and a county court every month, for the Ilkeston side of the Belper and Ilkeston district ; the police offices are also here. The manufacture of hosiery and lace is extensively carried on, and numerous veins of coal are actively worked. On the banks of the Erewash canal, which crosses the parish, a are several brick yards. This place obtained a grant for a market and a fair in 1251 ; the still existing market, principally for pigs, meat, butter, cheese, poultry and fruit, and formerly for corn, is held on Thursday, and a hiring and statute fair for servants on the first Thursday after October 11th. The Cottage Hospital, Station road, was established in 1885 and contains 10 beds. The charities for distribution amount to £60 yearly. The Duke of Rutland P.C., O.C.B. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 2,526 acres; rateable value, £53,212 5s.; the population in 1861 was 8,374 ; in 1871 was 9,662 ; and in 1881 was 14,122.

HALLAM FIELDS is a hamlet in the parish of Ilkeston, 2 miles south-east. The church of St. Bartholomew is a small iron building with one bell, erected in 1880 by the Crompton family, in memory of their father and mother, Gilbert and Deborah Crompton, who died in 1879, and to whom a brass tablet is placed on the south wall of the church: the stained east window was given by George Crompton esq.: there are 300 sittings: the Rev. William Thomas Stratford; has been curate in charge since 1885. The population is 1,100.

Stanton Iron Works School (mixed), built to hold 280 children ; average attendance, 187 ; John Tyrrell, master, boys & girls ; Miss Ada Cooper, infants

POST, M. O. O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.—Edward Truman, receiver. Letters arrive through Nottingham at 7.30; delivery at 8 a.m.; dispatch 7.30 p.m.; no collection on sundays

LITTLE HALLAM is a hamlet in the parish of Ikeston, from which town it is 1 mile south-by-west. The Ilkeston water works, the property of the Corporation, are situated here. The Nutbrook canal separates this village from Kirk Hallam.

Parish Clerk, John Fish.

Cotmanhay, in the north ward of the borough of Ilkeston, together with the township of SHIPLEY, in Heanor parish were formed into an ecclesiastical parish, 16 Dec. 1845. Christ Church, erected in 1847-8, is a stone building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, aisles and a western turret containing one bell: the east window is a memorial to the Rev. E. W. Symons M.A. the first incumbent, who died in 1857: there are other memorial windows to Alfred Miller Mundy esq. of Shipley Hall, d. 1877, Jane his wife, d. 1874, Maj.-Gen. Pierrepont Henry Mundy R.H.A. d. 1889, Robert Shorthouse (1872) and John Henry Shorthouse (1873): a brass lectern was given in 1878 in memory of Alfred Miller Mundy and Jane his wife: the organ was presented by A. E. M. Mundy esq. of Shipley Hall, in 1878, in memory of his parents; and other valuable gifts have recently (1890) been made by Mr. Mundy, Mr. C. Sebastian Smith, Mrs. Fowler and Mrs. Thompson, of Leicester : there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1848. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of A. E. M. Mundy esq. and held since 1858 by the Rev. Edward Thomas Straton Fowler M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist and United Free Methodist chapels. Coal is found here in abundance. The area is 2,640 acres; the population in 1381 was 2,634.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Davis.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office, Market place (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Derbyshire added).—Charles Potts, postmaster.
Letters arrive at 6a.m. & 1 & 4 p.m.; dispatched at 9 & 10.15 a.m. & 4, 6.10, 8.30 & 9.15 p.m

Post, M. O. & T, O.,8. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, 170 Bath street.—John Woollands, receiver. LETTER BOX cleared 10 a.m. 2.30, 5.40 & 8 p.m.; sunday, 5.40 p.m

Post, M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Gallows inn, Nottingham road.—Joseph Hodges, receiver.
Box cleared at 3.20 & 6 p.m.; no collection on sunday

WALL LETTER Boxes.—Station road, cleared at 10 a.m. 3, 5.40 & 8 p.m. ; Church street, Cotmanhay, cleared at 2 & 7.15 p.m. ; Cotmanhay road, cleared at 2.15 & 7.30 p.m. : no collection at either on sundays

Pillar Letter Box, Nottingham road, cleared at 10 a.m. 2.15 & 6 p.m. ; sunday, 5.45 p.m

COUNTY MAGISTRATES.
Smalley Petty Sessional Division.
Sitwell Robert Sacheverell Wilmot esq. chairman, Stainsby House, Horsley
Alleyne Sir John Gay Newton bart. C.E. Chevin, Belper
Ball John esq. Dodson house, Ilkeston R.S.O
Bateman Frederick Osborne Fitz Herbert esq. Breadsall mount, Derby
Corfield Frederick C. esq. Ormonde fields, Codnor
Cox William Thomas Edwards esq. Spondon hall, Derby
Haslam William Coates esq. The Elms, Ripley, Derby
Mundy Alfred Edward Muller esq. D.L. Shipley hall, Derby
Pedder Colonel Charles Denison, Kilbourne hall, Derby
Schwind Charles esq. Broomfield, Morley, Derby
Sitwell E. Sacheverell Wilmot esq. Horsley
Smith Francis Nicholas esq. Wingfield park, Derby
Sudbury Francis esq. Field house, Ilkeston R.S.O
Tatham William esq. Stanley house, Ilkeston K.S.O
Wood Henry Joseph esq. Breadsall priory, Derby
Wright Albert Leslie esq. Butterley hall, Derby
Wright Fitzherbert esq. The Hayes, Swanwick
Clerk to the Magistrates, Francis Darwin Huish, Bath st

Petty Sessions are held at the Town Hall every Thursday at 11 am. & at Heanor & Ripley every alternate monday.
The following places are included in the division ;—Codnor, Codnor Park, Dale Abbey, Denby, West Hallam, Heanor, Horsley, Horsley Woodhouse, Ilkeston, Kirk Hallam, Loscoe, Mapperley, Morley, Pentrich, Ripley, Sandiacre, Shipley, Smalley, Stanley & Stanton-by-Dale

CORPORATION, 1890-91.
Mayor, William Tatham esq.
Aldermen.
‡Frederick Beardsley
‡Francis Sudbury
‡William Tatham
 | ¶William Merry
 | ¶ William Sudbury
 | ¶William Wade
Councillors.
Central Ward.
†Samuel Robinson
†Edward Sutton
‡Alfred Burton Wood
 |  ‡Samuel Wood
 |  *John Lowe Moss
 |  *James O'Hara
North Ward.
†Samuel Bloor
†Henry Tomlinson
‡Richard Hunt
 | ‡ William Manners Manners
 |  * Isaiah Fisher
 |  * Enoch Limb
South Ward.
†John Moss
†Edwin Trueman
‡Charles Mitchell
 |  ‡Walter Tatham
 |  ‡Edwin Hall
 |  ‡ Joseph Scattergood

Marked thus † retire in 1891.
Marked thus ‡ retire in 1892.
Marked thus * retire in 1893.
Marked thus ¶ retire in 1895.


OFFICERS OF THE CORPORATION & URBAN SANITARY AUTHORITY :—
Town Clerk, Wright Lissett, Town hall
Treasurer, Herbert Francis Smith
Medical Officer of Health, Jsph. Carroll M.B. 172 Station rd
Borough Surveyor & Manager of Water Works, Henry James Kilford, Town hall
Inspector of Nuisances, Thomas Evans, South street
Collector of Rates, Frederick Beardsley, Cotmanhay
Sergeant-at-Mace, Achilles Brown
Gas Works Manager, Frederick Chilton Humphrys

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS :—
County Court held in the Town hall, monthly, alternately with Belper, His Honor William Barber Q.C. judge; John Borough, registrar; chief clerk, Thomas Hall, Ilkeston.
The following is a list of places in the County Court district:—Ambergate, Awsworth, Bargate, Bedlam, Belper, Belper Gorses, Belper Lane End, Blackbrook, Boghouses, Bottlebrook, Broadholme, Backland Hollow, Chevin, Copper Yards, Cotmanhay, Cowhouse Lane, Cossall, Coxbench, Cumbersome, Dale Abbey, Dalley, Denby, Denby Common, Dobholes, Duffield, Eastwood, Far Lawn, Farnah Green, Hazlewood, Heage, Heanor, Hilcliff Lane, Holbrook, Hoppinghill, Horsley, Horsley Woodhouse, Ilkeston, Kilburne, Kirk Hallam, Lady Grove, Langley, Langley Mills, Little Hallam, Loscoe, Makensy, Mapperley, Marble Works, Marlpool, Milford, Milnhay, Morley, Openwoodgate, Postern, Ridgeway, Shaw Lane, Shipley, Shire Oaks, Shottle, Shottle Gate, Smalley, Stanley, Stanley Common, Stanton-by-Dale, Stanton Gate, Swainsley, Toadmore, Turnditch, Upper or Over Lane

Certified Bailiffs appointed under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Henry Clemerson, Park road ; John Fish, Market place ; Charles William Hunt, Station road ; William George Knott, Burns st.; Edward Sutton, Bath st

Cottage Hospital, Station road, Robert Wood, consulting surgeon; Harry Potter L.R.C.P. Edin, Joseph Carroll M.B., C.M. & John Joseph Tobin M.B., M.ch, medical officers ; Arthur Butt, bon. sec.; Mise Alice Dean, matron
County Police Station, Town hall, George Daybell, inspector; 2 sergeants & 10 constables
Fire Brigade Station, Market place, Hy, Jas. Kilford, capt
General Cemetery, Stanton road, William Shakspeare, sec. ; John Wright, superintendent
Town Hall, Market place

PUBLIC OFFICERS :—
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Poor Rates, William Rose, 12 Graham street
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Robert Wood, 19 Market pl
Collector of Assessed Taxes, Charles Wiliam Hunt, 36 Station road
Medical Officer, No. 3 District, Basford Union, Harry Potter L.R.C.P.Edin. Bath street
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Ilkeston sub-district, Geo. Rarker, St. Mary street
Registrar of Marriages, William Merry, Market place

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services :—
St. Mary's Church, Rev, Edward Muirhead Evans M.A. vicar; 8 & 11 a.m. 3 & 6.30 p.m. ; frequent daily services
St. Bartholomew, Hallam Fields, Rev. William Thomas Stratford, curate in charge; 8 & 21 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wednesday, 7.30 p.m
Holy Trinity Church, Granby street, Rev. John Harry Buchanan M.A. incumbent ; 8 & 11 a.m. 2.30 & 6.30 p.m
Our Lady & St. Thomas (Catholic), Regent street, Rev. Jas. McCarthy, priest; 9 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; daily,8 p.m
Baptist, Queen street; ministers, various ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m ; tues. 7.30 p.m
Christian Testament Disciples, Belvoir street, various ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m
Congregational, Market place, Rev. John Fleming, minister: 10.30 a.m. 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m
Methodist New Connexion, Stamford street, various ; 10.45 a.m. & 6 p.m
Primitive Methodist, Bath street, Rev. John Adams Grainger, minister ; 10.45 am. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7 p.m
Unitarian, Anchor row, Market place, Rev, L. G. Harris Groot, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m
Wesley Methodist Free Church, South street, Rev. William Evans, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; tues. 7.15 p.m
Ebenezer Methodist Free Church, Awsworth toad, various ; 19.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; tues. 7 p.m
Wesleyan, Bath street, Rev. Alfred Tucker, minister; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; tues. 7 p.m
Station Road Mission Room (Free Methodist), 2.40 & 6 p.m

SCHOOLS:—
A School Board of 9 members was formed in 1873; Wright Lissett, Town hall, Market place, clerk to the board; George Cheetham, Cotmanhay road, attendance officer
Kensington, Nottingham road, erected in 1885, for 162 boys, 160 girls & 200 infants; average attendance, 153 boys, 146 girls & 203 infants; Arthur Butt, master ; Mrs. Mary Murray, mist. ; Mise Elizh. Aldridge, infants’ mist Granby, Heanor road, erected in 1953, for 282 boys & 292 girls; average attendance, 263 boys & 237 girls; George Hargreaves, master; Miss Elizabeth Martha Brant, mist
Chaucer Street (mixed), erected in 133g, at a cost of £4,245, far 300 mixed & 300 infants ; average attendance, 279 mixed & 327 infants; Arthur Win. Higgett, master ; Miss Agnes FE. Shotton, infants’ mistress
Wesley Street, Cotmanhay (infants’), for 216 children ; average attendance, 216; Mrs. Agnes 3. Hollis, mistress
National, erected in 1874, for 240 boys, 156 girls & 200 infants ; average attendance, 171 boys, 152 girls & 184 infants: Wm. Frost, master; Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Baker, girls’ mistress ; Mrs. Fanny Eugina Butt, infants’ mistress
Holy Trinity, Factory lane (infants), erected in 1876, for 300 children ; average attendance, 310; Miss Mary Anne Baker, mistress
British (mixed), Bath street, erected in 1845, at a cost, including land, of £780, for 285 children ; average attendance, 275; Henry Frederick Daykin, master
Catholic (mixed), Regent street, erected in 1872, for 100 children ; average attendance, 74; Miss Annie Lane, mist

NEWSPAPERS :—
Ilkeston Advertiser, published friday for saturday, Bewley & Roe, proprietors & publishers. See advertisement
Ilkeston Pioneer, published on fri. Edwin Trueman, publshr

RAILWAY STATIONS :—
ILkeston Junction (Midland), locally in Cossall, Edwin Hudson, station master & goods agent
Great Northern, George Barratt, collector & agent Midland (Town), Bath street, Edward Hudson, station master & goods agent

CARRIERS TO :—
DERBY—Mrs. Eliza Whitehead, friday
Nottingham—Mrs. Eliza Whitehead, daily; Jsph. Cope, dly


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Town Links

More on site information about Ilkeston and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills (only one entry).

Ilkeston can also be found on several nineteenth century maps of Derbyshire, although is not on Mr. Rhodes 1824 map.
Old Derbyshire Maps.