Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Glossop, Derbyshire (part 1)
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.209-213
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
GLOSSOP (or Glossop Dale) is a municipal borough, market and union town, head of a county court district and petty sessional division, township and parish, on the borders of Cheshire, with a station, 192½ miles by rail from London by Great Northern railway, 9½ from Ashton, 24½ from Barnsley, 87 from Birmingham, 65 from Burton, 47 from Chesterfield, 58 from Derby, 41 from Doncaster, 87 from Leicester, 34 from Leek, 47 from Liverpool, 73¾ from Lincoln, 13 from Manchester, 20 from Macclesfield, 74 from Nottingham, 30 from Sheffield, 66¼ from Stafford, 10½ from Staleybridge, 11 from Stockport, 53 from Uttoxeter and 72 from Wolverhampton. It is in High Peak hundred and High Peak division of the county, rural deanery of Glossop, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company's main line from Manchester to Sheffield is carried across Dinting Vale on a lofty viaduct of sixteen arches, constructed of stone, about a mile west from the Town hall, and there is a branch line from Dinting to Glossop and Hadfield. The parish contains the townships of GLOSSOP DALE, HADFIELD, PADFIELD, WHITFIELD, CHARLESWORTH, SIMMONDLEY, DINTING, CHUNAL, LUDWORTH and CHISWORTH.
The borough is divided into three wards, viz. : All Saints, Hadfield and St. James'. The corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 18 councillors, who act as the Urban Sanitary authority. The borough has a commission of the peace and a police force. The water supply, derived from Peaknase moors, is collected in reservoirs at Swineshaw. The town is supplied with gas by a company formed in 1845.
Portions of the old parish of Glossop All Saints, have been taken to form the ecclesiastical parishes of Whitfield, St. James'; Hadfield, St. Andrew's, and Dinting, Holy Trinity. The ancient parish of Glossop also contains the old chapels of Hayfield and Mellor, the new parish churches of Charlesworth and New Mills, Whitfield, and the new district church of Limedale, comprising the townships of Chinley, Bugsworth and Brownside. The ancient parish church of All Saints was pulled down in 1830. The present church is a modern edifice of stone, in the Early Gothic style, consisting of a chancel, nave, surrounded on three sides by galleries, aisles, south porch, vestry, organ chamber, erected in 1877, and a western tower with spire, containing a clock and 8 bells, re-hung in 1877 and a chiming apparatus attached, at a cost of £180; the spire was rebuilt in 1856: the stained east window is a memorial to a late Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, Robert Shepley esq. and John Wood esq. former benefactors : the old church plate bears date 1745, but in 1877 a new set of plate was contributed by the parishioners : in 1886 the nave was reseated with open benches by Daniel Wood esq. of Moorfield : the churchyard was closed against interments, with modifications, in 1857-8. The register dates from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £283, net yearly value £270, with residence, in the gift of Lord Howard of Glossop, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Adam Pyle Hamilton-Wilson, of Cambridge University.
The Rev. Christopher Howe, vicar 1793 to 1849, and for 40 years also incumbent of Woodhead, Cheshire, established a day school at Glossop, in which he personally taught, and partly rebuilt the parish church ; he died 1st Sept. 1849, in the 85th year of his age and the 57th of his vicariate of Glossop. Mr. Charles Winterbottom, for upwards of 60 years sexton and clerk of the parish of Glossop, died at the age of nearly 88 years.
The Primitive Methodist chapel, Shrewsbury street, built 1855, has 730 sittings ; the Unitarian chapel, Fitzalan street, built about 1873, 300 sittings; the Free Methodist chapel, Hall street, built in 1860, 450 sittings: there is also a Wesleyan chapel, in High street west, built 1860, with 1,500 sittings and one in Wesley street, built in 1813, with 400 sittings.
The Catholic chapel, dedicated to All Saints, a building in the Classic style, situated near Glossop Hall, was erected by Bernard Edward Duke of Norfolk, in 1837, and consists of chancel, nave and a belfry, containing one bell: over the altar is a fine copy of Domenichino's "Communion of St. Hyronome," the original of which is in the Vatican ; there are also valuable paintings representing the twelve apostles: there are 350 sittings.
There is a cemetery of 6 acres, formed in 1859, with mortuary chapels and under the control of a burial board of 9 members.
The Town Hall, with the Market House, was considerably enlarged in 1854.
The Free Library and Public Hall, Fauvel road, erected in 1887 by Herbert Rhodes esq. and Captain Edward Partington, at a cost of about £4,400, on a site given by Lord Howard of Glossop, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, containing a reading room and library of 530 volumes, lecture hall and a public hall: over the main entrance a tower with pinnacles rises to a height of about 80 feet.
There are Conservative and Liberal clubs, each having news and recreation rooms.
The Public Baths, Howard Park, erected in 1887, by Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Talbot House, at a cost of about £15,000, comprise a swimming bath, four private baths for males and a like number for females, and vapour and Turkish baths: the buildings include a ventilating tower 100 feet high.
Two newspapers are published here on Friday.
Here are cotton manufactories, and in the neighbourhood, calico printing establishments and paper mills: some of the former, and especially those of Messrs. John Wood and Bros. Limited, and Messrs. Francis Sumner and Co. Limited, are very extensive, employing in ordinary times from 5,000 to 6,000 workpeople. The first cotton mill was erected about the year 1784, but previously to this a few woollen factories and fulling mills had been in operation ; one of these, The Gnathole mill, now covered with ivy, still remains, but it is at present (1891) unoccupied.
At Dinting Vale are the large calico printing works developed by the skill and energy of the late Mr. E. Potter, and now carried on by Messrs. E. Potter and Co.
Hurst brook and Whitfield brook, two feeders of the Etherow, take their rise on the adjacent moors ; the water of the latter possesses bleaching properties, which was taken advantage of in establishing the works at Charlestown. There are quarries producing building and paving stone.
The principal market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on the 6th May, also the first Wednesday on or after the 10th day of October, for the sale of horses and cattle.
The L, M & N Companies of the 4th Volunteer Battalion, Cheshire Regiment, have head quarters in the town.
There are charities of £60 yearly value, distributed among the poor on St. Thomas' day, in money and clothing, by two representatives of the eight original hamlets of Glossop Dale.
The Wood's Hospital, Howard Park, founded and endowed in 1887, by Daniel Wood esq. of Moorfield, at a cost of about £6,000, the endowment fund being £19,000, is a structure of brick, cased externally with stone, and comprises two male and two female wards, holding about 16 patients, with kitchens &c. and an administrative block, containing the offices, store rooms &c.: to the west of the hospital is a detached laundry, with lodge keeper's residence.
Howard Park, North road, formed in 1887, at the joint expense of Lord Howard of Glossop, Samuel Wood esq. and Mrs. Wood, of Talbot House, is situated on an eminence, commanding a fine view of the town and neighbourhood ; it is about 12 acres in extent.
At Old Cross, Old Glossop, are the remains of an ancient stone cross, about 10 feet in height and still in a fair state of preservation.
Glossop Hall, the seat of the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop, is a noble building, in the style of a French Château of the 18th century, and stands on gently rising ground above Howard Town, surrounded by trees : it was much enlarged and improved by Henryâ Charles, 13th Duke of Norfolk, grandfather of the present owner.
The town and hamlets now comprising the manor of Glossop appear to have been divided in the time of Edward the Confessor into several parts among different Saxon proprietors, but in the Domesday Survey the whole of Glossop is put down as forfeited to the Crown ; and the Conqueror afterwards gave it to his natural soil, William Peveril, whose son Richard, however, being disinherited by Henry I. Glossop was again confiscated to the Crown, and in 1157 was granted by Henry II. together with the advowson of the church to the Abbey of Basingwerke, "in free and perpetual alms for ever," and this abbey had acquired before the 15th century nearly all the hamlets now comprising the Glossop estate; Glossop remained the property of Basingwerke Abbey till the dissolution of the lesser abbeys in 1536, when Henry VIII. seized it with other conventual property and afterwards granted it to the Earl of Shrewsbury, who in turn exchanged it with the Duke of Norfolk for estates in Ireland, and in this noble family it has remained to the present time: the present proprietor, lord of the manor and principal landowner, is the Right Hon. Lord Howard of Glossop J.P. cousin to the present Duke of Norfolk.
The land is partly moor and pasturage. The acreage is 40,136, being one of the largest parishes in England; of the township, 18,432; rateable value, £18,971; the population of the township in 1881 was 6,153 ; the population within the municipal borough in 1881 was 19,574 ; Glossop Dale population in 1881 was 21,393, including 4 officers and 61 inmates in the workhouse.
Parish Clerk, Johnson Hadfield.

Official Establishments, Local Institutions &c.

Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office, Norfolk square.-Miss Sarah Elizabeth Woodhead, postmistress. Letters arrive via [via has circumflex over a] Manchester at 6.30 a.m. & 2.55 & 5 p.m.; dispatched to Manchester & all parts at 10.20 a.m. & 1.20, 5, 7.25 & 9.30 p.m. Money order office & post office savings bank open from 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; on saturdays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Telegraph office open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wall Letter Boxes :-Old Glossop, cleared at 9 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Rose green, 9.10 a.m. & 6.10 p.m.; Princess street, 9.20 a.m. & 6.50 p.m.; Simmondley lane, 8.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Railway station, 9.45 a.m. & 7 p.m. ; Brookfield, 7.50 a.m. & 6 p.m., sun. 8.30 a.m.; Gamesley, 8.15 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.; sun. 9 a.m.

County Magistrates.

Howard of Glossop Lord, Glossop hall, Glossop, chairman
Rhodes Wm. Shepley esq. Mersey bank, Hadfield, Manchstr
Sidebottom James esq. Millbrook, Hollingworth, Manchestr
Sidebottom Lieut.-Col. William M.P. Harewood lodge, Broadbottom, Cheshire
Sidebottom Tom Harrop esq. M.P. Etherow house, Hollingworth, Manchester
Clerk to the Magistrates, Thos. Michael Ellison, Ellison st
Petty Sessions are held at the Town hall at intervals of two or three weeks, at 10.30 a.m. thursdays. The following places are included in the division: - Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Compstall Bridge, Glossop, Ludworth, Marple Bridge, Mellor & Simmondley

Borough Magistrates.

The Mayor & the Ex-mayor
Partington Capt. Edward, Easton, High street east
Rhodes Herbert
Rhodes James, 25 Victoria street
Rowbottom Samuel, Shipley street
Sidebottom James
Sidebottom Lieut.-Col. William M.P. Harewood lodge, Broadbottom, Cheshire
Stafford Joseph, 61 Norfolk street
Weetman John Aloysius, Wren Nest house
Clerk, Thomas Michael Ellison, Ellison street
The magistrates meet at Town hall every mon. 3.30 p.m.

Corporation-1890-1.
MAYOR - William Dawson esq
DEPUTY MAYOR-John Hadfield

ALDERMEN.

Edward Wooley
Samuel Rowbottom
Henry Buckley
}
} retire 1893
}
Joseph Stafford
James Sidebottom
Joseph Buckley
}
} retire 1896
}

COUNCILLORS.

All Saints' Ward.

†Samuel Sidebottom
†John Hadfield
†Thomas Rawstorne
  †Luke Darwent
*John Barnes
*Benjamin Platt
 

St. James' Ward.

†Alfred Leech
†Charles Harrison
‡Capt. Edward Partington
  ‡William McMellon
*Thomas Pearson Hunter
 

Hadfield Ward.

†William Dawson,
†Herbert Rhodes
‡William Sargentson
  ‡Fletcher Rigge
*William S. Rhodes
*James Sargentson
 

Marked thus † retire in 1891.
Marked thus ‡ retire in 1892.
Marked thus * retire in 1893.


OFFICERS OF THE CORPORATION AND URBAN SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Town Clerk, Clerk to the Urban Sanitary Authority & School Attendance Committee, Thomas Michael Ellison, Ellison street
Borough Treasurer, W. H. Hollingbery, Norfolk square
Assistant Treasurer, T. S. Bowden, Norfolk square
Medical Officer of Health, James Rhodes, 25 Victoria street
Public Analyst, J. Carter Bell, Manchester
Surveyor, Thomas Haynes, Town hall
School Attendance Officer, Thomas Rhodes, Hollincross st
Water Inspector, John Garner, 46 Church street
Head Constable & Inspector of Weights & Measures, William Henry Hodgson, Ellison street
Inspector of Police, Ernest Charlton, Hadfield
Sanitary & Lighting Inspector, Samuel Dane, Primrose lane
Collectors, General District Rate, H. G. Maulkinson, Padfield; Borough & Watch, James Bridge, Hadfield place; Water, Thomas Nield, Norfolk street; Highway, W. McNath, Hadfield

Public Establishments.

Borough Police Office, Ellison street, William Hy. Hodgson, head constable; 3 sergeants & 14 constables
Borough Police Station, Albert street, Hadfield, Ernest Charlton, inspector, & 4 constables
Cemetery, Cemetery road, Hadfield, Thomas Michael Ellison, clerk to the burial board
Cheshire Regiment 4th Volunteer Battalion (L, M & N Companies), Glossop detachment, Drill hall; Capt. John Wood, commanding detachment; Lieut. Arthur Sidebottom, commanding M Co. ; Lieut. S. H. Wood, commanding N Co. ; W. E. S. Burnett L.R.C.P.Edin. surgeon; Rev. C. B. Ward M.A. chaplain ; Edwd. Sampson, sergeant instructor
County Court, His Honor Thomas Ellison, judge; John Hibbert, registrar & high bailiff; Arthur Moore, assistant registrar & deputy high bailiff; office, Norfolk square, open from 10 to 4, on saturdays from 10 till 1. The county court is held at the Town hall & comprises the following parishes :-Armfield & district of Tintwistle, Brownside, Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Gamesley, Glossop, Hadfield, Hollingworth, Kinder, Padfield, Rhodes, Phoside, Rowarth, Saltersbrook, Simmondley, Torside, Waterside, Whitfield, Woodhead & Wooley Bridge
Certified Bailiffs under the Law of Distress Amendment Act, Samuel Hollinworth, 1A, Victoria street & Robert Wooley Sykes, 9 Norfolk square
Free Library & Public Hall, Fauvel road
Howard Park, North road
Inland Revenue Office, Slatelands road, Thomas Kamester, officer
Public Baths, Howard park
Town Hall, High street west
Wood's Hospital, Howard park, Albert Andrew L.K.Q.C.P.Irel., William Henry Hunt, Duncan John Mackenzie M.D., C.M., James Rhodes, William White M.D., C.M., James Harold Wylde L.K.Q.C.P.Irel., W. E. S. Burnett L.R.C.P.Edin., Bennett Ralph Sidebottom L.R.C.P.Edin. medical officers ; T. S. Bowden esq. hon. sec.; Miss Ellen Warrener, matron

GLOSSOP UNION.

Board day every alternate wednesday at 3 p.m.
Glossop union comprises the following places :-Charlesworth, Chisworth, Chunal, Dinting, Glossop or Glossop Dale, Hadfield, Ludworth, Padfield, Simmondley & Whitfield; the population of the union in 1881 was 23,550; rateable value in 1890, £82,875
Clerk to Guardians & Assessment Committee, Thomas Swindells Bowden, 3 Wellgate, Glossop
Treasurer, William Henry Hollingbery, Norfolk sq. Glossop
Assistant Overseers, David Massey, High street east & Jesse Higginbotham, Ludworth
Collector, James Bridge, 11 Hadfield place, Hadfield
Relieving Officer & Vaccination Officer, John Wood Bowden, Fitzalan street, Glossop
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Glossop district, Wm. Henry Hunt, Norfolk street, Glossop ; Whitfield district, James Rhodes, 25 Victoria street, Glossop
Superintendent Registrar, Henry Barber, New Mills; deputy, A. Barber, New Mills
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Glossop sub-district, Thomas Swindells Bowden, 3 Wellgate, Glossop
Workhouse, to hold 144 inmates, George Hadfield, master; W. H. Hunt, surgeon; Mrs. Hadfield, matron

RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY.
Meets at the Workhouse on every alternate wed. at 3 p.m.
Clerk, Thomas Swindells Bowden, 3 Wellgate, Glossop
Treasurer, William Henry Hollingbery, Norfolk sq. Glossop
Medical Officer of Health, Jas. Rhodes, Victoria st. Glossop
Inspector of Nuisances, William McMath, Hadfield

SCHOOL ATTENDANCE COMMITTEE.
Meets at the Workhouse on wed. in each month at 4 p.m. Clerk, Thomas Swindells Bowden, 3 Wellgate, Glossop

Public Officers.

Assistant Overseer, David Massey, 62 High street east
Coroner for the Peak Hundreds, Charles Davis, 6 Market st
Stamp Distributor, Miss S. E. Woodhead, Post office, Norfolk square
Town Crier, John Dyson, 213A, High street

Places of Worship, with times of services.

Parish Church, Rev. Adam Pyle Hamilton-Wilson, vicar ; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m.
Holy Trinity, Dinting, Rev. William John Canton, vicar ; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m.
St. James', Whitfield, Rev. Charles Bruce Ward M.A. vicar ; Rev. Edward Thomas Taylor, curate ; 10.30 a.m.& 6.30 p.m.; daily 9.30 a.m.; wed. & fri. 7.30 p.m.
St. Andrew, Hadfield, Rev. Joseph Hadfield, vicar ; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.
All Saints' Catholic, Rev. Henry Koerfer, priest ; 9.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Sumner Memorial Church, Catholic (St. Mary's), Sumner st. Very Rev. Canon Charles W. Tasker & Rev. John Burns, priests ; 8.30, 9.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; daily at 3 a.m. ; thurs. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational, Littlemoor, Rev. William Latham Parker ; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational, St. Mary's road, Rev. James Kendal Kirby, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m.
Free Methodist Church, Hall street, Rev. John Augustus Watts, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; alternate wed. 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Shrewsbury street, Rev. John Farr, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.
Reformers, Howard street, Rev. Thomas Bromage, minister ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m.
St. James' Mission Room, George street, ministers various ; 3.15p.m
St. Paul's Mission Room, High street west, ministers various ; 3 p.m.
Talbot Street Mission Room, Rev. Edward Thomas Taylo r; 3.15 p.m. & 6.30 on second & last sundays in the month
United Methodist Free Church, Whitfield, Rev. John Aug. Watts, minister ; 3.30 & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m.
Unitarian, Fitzalan street, Rev. R. Lembley, minister ; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Wesleyan, High street west, Rev. John Nowell & Rev. Joseph Watkinson, ministers ; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m. ; Wesley street, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m. ; Whitfield, 2.30 & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.

Schools.

Endowed, Old Glossop, with master's residence, built & endowed in 1853 by Henry Charles, 13th Duke of Norfolk, & enlarged in 1887, for 250 boys, 250 girls & 100 infants ; average attendance, 110 boys, 70 girls & 65 infants ; Arthur Henry Roberts, master ; Miss Ada J. Ward, mistress ; Miss Mary Mycroft, infants' mistress
Endowed, Whitfield (mixed),with master's residence, founded in 1779 by Joseph Hague esq. of Park hall, Hayfield, & endowed with £39 yearly, for 144 children; average attendance, 135 ; Walter P. Evason, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Evason, mistress
Infants', Waterside, Hadfield, built in 1872, for 170 children ; average attendance, 136 ; Miss Ruth Turner, mistress
National (mixed), Dinting, built in 1875 & enlarged by Mrs. Wood in 1887, for 450 children & 150 infants ; average attendance, 252 children & 39 infants ; John Henry Ogden, master ; Miss Clara Riley, mistress ; Miss Ada B. Consterdine, infants' mistress
National, Hadfield (mixed), erected 1835, for 550 children ; average attendance, 334 ; Alfred Walker, master
National, Talbot street (girls & infants), built in 1880 for 250 children ; average attendance, 162 ; Miss Jane Tattersall, mistress
National, Whitfield (mixed), for 560 children ; average attendance, 340 ; George Edward Cox, master ; Misses S. A. Morriss, A. Green & J. B. Shepley, mistresses
Day School, Padfield (mixed), erected 1887, for 217 children ; average attendance, 197 ; William Lees Marshall, master
Congregational, Victoria street (mixed), built in 1881, for 700 children ; average attendance, 270 ; Mr. Joseph Walkden, master ; Miss M. I. G. Scafe, infants' mistress
Catholic, St. Mary's rd. for 200 children ; average attendance, 180; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Catholic, Old Glossop (mixed), for 100 children; average attendance, 60 ; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Catholic, Hadfield (mixed), for 200 children ; average attendance, 130 ; Sisters of the Order of St. Paul, teachers
Wesleyan, High street (mixed & infants), erected 1851 for 298 children ; average attendance, 78 boys, 61 girls & 80 infants ; James Parker, master; Miss Annie Kippax, infants' mistress
Wesleyan, Old Glossop (mixed), erected 1824, rebuilt 1876, for 225 children ; average attendance, 146 ; Thomas R. Haigh, master ; Miss Alice Ann Adshead, mistress
Wesleyan, Hadfield (mixed), erected 1808, enlarged 1822 & rebuilt 1854, for 300 children ; average attendance, 200 ; James Nelson, master ; Miss Maria Nelson, mistress
An omnibus runs from Glossop Town, hall to Hollingworth, about three times daily

Railway Stations.
Glossop, Joseph Sutcliffe, station master
Dinting, William Vernon, station master
Hadfield, Richard Bratherton, station master


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript
Town Links

More on site information about Glossop and its townships and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills