Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Fenny Bentley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.208
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

Is the surname DAKIN mentioned in your Fenny Bentley pre 1858 wills or old documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
FENNY BENTLEY is a parish and picturesque village, situated in a pleasant valley, watered by a small brook, to which it gives name and which is here crossed by an ancient stone bridge of two arches, 2 miles north from Ashborne station on the North Staffordshire railway and 7 south-west from Wirksworth, in the Western division of the county, Ashborne union, petty sessional division and county court district, hundred of Wirksworth, rural deanery of Ashborne, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Edmund, King and Martyr, a building of stone, consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, sooth porch and a tower with spire at the west end containing 3 bells, dated respectively 1850, 1654 and 1617 : the whole building seems to have been reconstructed in the early part of the 14th century, of which the east window and one in the nave are good examples: the chancel is separated from the nave, and the aisle from the organ chamber by exquisitely carved oak screens of Late Perpendicular date, erected circa 1450 and restored in 1850: the aisle is separated from the nave by an arcade of three bays; the high-pitched roofs of dark oak, as well as the tower and the north aisle, were additions made in 1850: on the north side of chancel is a square alabaster monument to Thomas Beresford, who, according to the inscription, specially distinguished himself at the battle of Agincourt, 25 Oct. 1415, and died in 1473, and to Agnes, his wife, who died in 1467; on the upper surface are two recumbent figures completely enveloped in shrouds, and upon the sides twenty-one similar effigies of their children, the cornice being incised with figures of war-like instruments: there are seven other mural monuments to the same family, dating from 1516 to 1815, and brasses to Richard Beresford (1733) and to the Rev. Garton Howard B.A. late rector (1877) : the east window is stained, and on the south side of the church is a memorial window to Harriet, wife of the Rev. J. Barnes M.A. sometime vicar of Tissington (1879) : the church plate dates from 1702 : the ancient circular font, a work of earlier date than the general fabric of the church, is composed of red gritstone, carved with six panels of varying size, and stands on a round base with six deep flutings: in 1850 the church was thoroughly restored at the expense of Francis Wright esq. of Osmaston Manor, and Sir Henry Fitzherhert bart. of Tissington Hall : the spire was erected in 1866 at the expense of Mrs. Barnes and Miss Van Tuyl, and in 1873 an organ chamber and vestry were added : there are 200 seats, all free: the restoration of the church is now (1890) proposed. The registers date from the year 1604, but at first are very illegible and have been very irregularly kept: there is a blank from 1642 to 1660. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £49. net yearly value £240, with 34 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Richard Knott Bolton M.A. of Trinity College. Dublin. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, erected in 1832, but only used occasionally. The late Rev. J. Barnes left the sum of £6,000 to the Lichfield diocesan trustees, but this sum has been considerably reduced by succession duty and change in the fluctuation of stock, and now (1891) amounts to £5,152; two-thirds of the income of the investment is paid to the rector of Fenny Bentley for the increase of his stipend, and one-third to the rector of Fenny Bentley and other manager or managers of the Bentley school (which belongs to Sir William Fitzherbert, bart.), to be expended in support of the said school: the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley, who died in July, 1821, by his will dated 7th May, 1818, bequeathed £6 10s. annually to this pariah, which is expended in warm clothing for the poorer inhabitants: ten shillings yearly is paid to the poor from Port's Ilam charity. Bentley Hall, pleasantly situated in the village, is the residence of William Adshead esq. Timothy and William Challinor esqrs. are lords of the manor, and Sir William Fitzherbert bart. J.P. of Tissington Hall, is principal landowner. The soil is heavy ; subsoil, chiefly clay over limestone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The acreage is 1,038 ; rateable value, £1,853; the population in 1881 was 248.

Parish Clerk, William Wright.

POST OFFICE.-William Harrison, receiver. Letters arrive from Ashborne at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. There is no sunday delivery or dispatch. Tissington is the nearest money order & Ashborne the nearest telegraph office

National School (mixed), erected in 1868, for 80 children ; average attendance 47; Miss Annie Bangs, mistress

Adshead William, Bentley hall
Bolton Rev. Richard Knott M.A. [rector]
Maurice CoI. Arthur Corbet (late Royal Minster Fusiliers), Bentley cottage

Allen Samuel, farmer
Botham Thomas, farmer
Cartwright Christopher, farmer & assistant overseer, Fenny house
Challinor Timothy, farmer, The Alders
Clews Arthur, farmer, The Firs
Dichfield Thomas, farmer
Harrison Charles, boot & shoe maker, Post office
Hooson William, farmer
Howie William, Coach & Horses P.H.
Kirkham Mary (Mrs.), Wheatsheaf inn
Lownds William, farmer, Bank top
Pearson Thomas, grocer
Potter Jsph. farmr. & overseer, The Ashes
Redfern Samuel, Blue Bell P.H
Richardson Thos. frmr. Ravenscliffe frm
Slater Adam, farmer, Hillock close
Slater Samuel, farmer
Watson Thomas, farmer, Pasture tops
Webster Joseph, farmer & cattle dealer, Cherry orchard
Wigley Francis, farmer, Pasture tops
Wright James, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links
More on site information about Fenny Bentley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset (Thomas Beresford mentioned on page 14)
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills (see Beresford)

Please note:
Over the years, Fenny Bentley's church has been dedicated to both St. Mary Magdalene and to St. Edmund, King and Martyr, the name by which it is known today. As later as 1873 Fr. Redfern, author of The History of Uttoxeter, wrote that "A chantry was founded in St. Mary Magdalene's Church, Bentley, by the Berisford family ..." (The Derby Mercury, 29 January, 1873). A few years later J. C. Cox, writing in his Churches (1877), says that although the church was the supposed to be dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, a chantry was founded to St. Edmund; it was this that caused Cox to believe that it was inconceivable that Beresford, who founded the chantry, got the church name wrong when dedicating the parish church. Of course, Beresford just could have made two different dedications, but we will probably never know. Cox suggested that a rededication to St. Mary Magdalene might have happened in the distant past, perhaps when the church was rebuilt or repaired, but he had found no ancient record. The name changed to St. Edmund around the time Cox's book was published and was given as that in Kelly's Directory of 1881. Both names are often quoted for this church. The older registers would have been for St. Mary Magdalene whereas the registers from around 1877 onwards would be for St. Edmund's.