Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Edensor, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p. 201
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page

Edensor Church and Churchyard

EDENSOR is a township, parish and village, just outside Chatsworth park, 2½ miles east-north-east from Bakewell, 8½ from Matlock and from Hassop station, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, union, petty sessional division and county court district and in the rural deanery or Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese or Southwell. The church of St. Peter, situated on an eminence and approached by a flight or steps, was almost entirely rebuilt under the direction or the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. in 1867, the whole of the new work being in the Decorated style : it now consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, bell-cote on the eastern gable of the nave and a tower at the west end with lofty broach spire containing 6 bells, partly recast from the former 4 bells in 1867, one of which, dated 1669, is now hung over the Chatsworth stables : the nave is separated from the aisles by arcades of four arches, several of these, as well as of the ancient Norman columns, being part or the original church : the Decorated east window retains much or its ancient tracery : the south porch, with its embattled parapet, belongs chiefly to the same period, but retains portions of Norman work, and several ancient slabs, with incised crosses, have been built into it : the interior has remains or piscinæ, and there are modern sedilia : the font, as well as the pulpit, is constructed of different tinted marbles from the estates of the Duke of Devonshire ; with the exception of an early nameless slab in the porch, there are now no monuments of the pre-Reformation period, but in the Cavendish chapel is the singular but fine monument to Henry Cavendish M.P. Derbyshire, ob. 1616, and Sir William Cavendish K.B. first Earl or Devonshire, ob. 3 March, 1625 ; this includes a projecting altar tomb, beneath which are two figures, one a skeleton and the other wrapped in a winding sheet : mythological figures, arms, robes and other accessories are placed above and on either side : against the north wall of the chancel is a brass, with inscription and effigy to James Beton, Comptroller of the Household to Mary, Queen of Scots, who died while the Queen was a prisoner at Chatsworth House, in 1570, aged 32 ; the brass was erected by his brothers, James, Archbishop of Glasgow, and Andrew, Ambassador to France : on the south side is a brass to Mr. John Phipps, of Chatsworth (1735) and in the chancel is a memorial window to the late Lord Frederick Charles Cavendish P.C., M.P. Chief Secretary for Ireland, assassinated in the Phoenix park, Dublin, 6 May 1882, and interred in the graveyard of the village, where there is also a memorial stone, placed in May, 1883 : the Church affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540, and is in fair condition. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held since 1855 by the Rev. Joseph Hall. There are charities of £21 annual value. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light grit; subsoil, gritstone. The land is principally in pasture. The area of the township is 2,336 acres, tithe free; of the parish, 4,829 ; rateable value, £2,567 ; the population in 1881 was 286; of the parish, 517.

Pilsley is a township, situated on an eminence, from which beautiful and extensive views are obtained of the surrounding country. Divine service is conducted every Sunday in the schoolroom by the vicar of Edensor. The area is 465 acres ; rateable value, £668 ; the population in 1881 was 231.

CARLTON LEES, 1½ miles north from Rowsley and DUNSAR, are places here.

Parish Clerk, Albert Ernest Wragg.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. -Mrs. Jane Bacon, receiver. Letters received from Bakewell at 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.20 p.m. ; on sundays received at 9 a.m. ; dispatched at 2.20 p.m

WALL BOX, PiIsley, cleared at 5 p.m: sundays, I p.m

National, erected by the Duke of Devonshire in 1839, for 60 boys & 20 infants ; average attendance, 43 boys & 12 infants ; Albert Ernest Wragg, master ; Miss Grace Hulley, infants' mistress
National, PiIsley (mixed), erected in 1843, for 60 children ; average attendance, 38; Miss Mary S. Milner, mistress

Hall Rev. Joseph [vicar]
Martin Gilson J.P

Blockley Barker, farmer
Booth Andrew, shopkeeper
Elliott Thomas, farmer, CarIton house
Fieldsend Charles T. farm bailiff to the Duke of Devonshire
Fletcher William Milward, painter
Harrison Hy. Chatsworth hotel, & farmer
Hearnshaw William, butcher, Dunsar
Hodkin William, miller (water)
Hulley George, farmer, Carlton lees
Lait Sidney, estate clerk to the Duke of Devonshire
Martin Gilson, agent to the Duke of Devonshire
Munro Alfred, head gamekeeper to the Duke of Devonshire
Robertson James P. woods' foreman
Skidmore Richd. farmer, Carlton house
Wilson Catherine (Mrs.), farmer, Carlton lees

Bark Mrs
Blagden Henry, Devonshire Arms P.H
Furniss Jabez, farmer
Furniss Peter, farmer
Holmes Anthony, wheelwright
Hulley William, shopkeeper
Hutchinson Robert, smith
Oxspring John, farmer
Sheldon Thomas, farmer
Topliss Henry, farmer & timber mer
Woodhead James F. clerk of works
Woodhead Richard, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Edensor and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills