Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Scarcliffe with Palterton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.296
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
SCARCLIFF with PALTERTON
SCARCLIFF is a parish and village, with a station at Palterton, on the Staveley and Mansfield branch of the Midland railway, 8 south-east from Chesterfield, 6 north-west from Mansfield, 135 from London, in the Chesterfield division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, Chesterfield petty sessional division, and in the union and county court district or Mansfield, rural deanery of Staveley, archdeaconry or Derby and diocese of Southwell; it is watered by the river Poulter, which rises in the southern part of the parish; there is also a spring called " Owlsditch," remarkable for its greater abundance in the summer than in the winter months. The church of St. Leonard is a building of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, north aisle, south porch and all embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells: the spire was taken down in 1842: in the church is a monument of the 11th century, with a Latin inscription nearly obliterated: the chancel retains two piscinas of Norman date : the stained east window was erected in 1869 by Mrs. Bowett, in memory of William Scorer, and the organ and another small window, by Mr. M. Scorer, as a memorial to his son, Matthew: there are other memorials windows to Mr. G. Hallam, erected by Mr. E. Hallam, in 1871 ; to Miss E. Scorer, by her friend Miss Ellen Creswick Burkitt, 1878; and one to Mr. G. Wood and four children, placed in 1874 ; the church was partially restored in 1842, and reseated in 1876, at a cost of £300;. there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680 for all entries. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £40, with 15 acres of glebe, net yearly value £86, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1886 by the Rev. Edwin Herbert Mullins, who is also rector of and resides at Upper Langwith ; the Rev. Frank. George White has been curate-in-charge since 1888. Charities amounting to about £30 yearly, were left in 1821, by Mrs. K. Vaughan and by the Rev, F. Gisborne, formerly rector of Staveley, in 1818, and are partly distributed in clothing to the poor and partly applied to the education of 18 children. Earl Bathurst is lord or the manor and principal landowner. The soil is limestone; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and roots. The area is 3,954 acres: rateable value, £1.742; the population in 1881 was 618.

PALTERTON is a hamlet, 1 mile west, with a station on the Doe Lea branch of the Midland railway, opened in 1890. Parish Clerk, Benjamin Bramall.

WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 4 p.m. week days only

Letters through Mansfield. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bolsover

POST OFFICE, Palterton.-Edwin Haywood, receiver. Letters through Chesterfield, arrive at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Bolsover

SCHOOLS :-
National, erected in 1868, for 190 children ; average attendance 100 ; William Henry Hanbury, master ; Miss Elizabeth Rogers, infants' mistress

Railway Station, Palterton & Sutton

Scarcliff.

Bowett Mrs
Scorer Matthew
White Rev. Frnk. Geo. [curate in charge]
Wilson Charles

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Charles, farmer
Armstrong Robert, farmer, Lanes
Askew Thomas, wheelwright
Bramwell Benjamin, mason
Barkitt William & Samuel, farmers
Cooke Mary Ann (Mrs.), Horse & Groom P.H
Crawshaw Robert, farmer
Elliott George, shopkeeper
Goucher John, woodman
Grimes Hy. Wm. farmr. Scarcliff grange
Hart John, farm bailiff to Samuel White Skelton esq
Heathcote John, farmer
Jarvis Joseph, higgler
Jeffrey Samuel, higgler
Mellors Job, shopkeeper & farmer
Mellors John, butcher
Reddish Reuben, Elm Tree P.H
Wardly Alfred, farmer

Palterton.

Armstrong Edward, farmer
Brough Joseph, shopkeeper
Floyde John, grocer
Froggatt William, beer retailer
Godber Jn. farmer & assistant overseer
Godber William, farmer
Grimes Sidney, farmer
Heald John, shoe maker
Hollely Maud (Miss), day school
Johnson Samuel, farmer, Stockley
Jowett Edwin, Nag's Head P.H
Palfreman Hugh, farmer
Shacklock William Joseph, farmer
Turner Cornelius Hufton, farmer & assessor & collector of income & land taxes for Ault Hucknall dist. Riley frm Turner Herbert, butcher
Whitworth Charles, blacksmith

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Scarcliffe with Palterton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills