Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Pilsley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.284
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
PILSLEY is a township and parish, formed Jan. 30, 1874, out of North Wingfield, about 2 miles north-west from Doe Hill and about 3 miles from Clay Cross stations on the main line of the Midland railway, about 6 miles south from Chesterfield and 5 north-east from Alfreton, in the Chesterfield division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, Chesterfield union, Alfreton petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Mary, erected in 1875, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, north porch, vestry, and a turret containing one bell : there are 360 sittings. The register dates from the year 1874. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £41, net yearly value £122, £100 of which is paid by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, with 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of the rector of North Wingfield, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Samuel Curling Hayward, of the Univ. of Durham, who resides at Morton, about 1½ miles distant from the church. There are Wesleyan, Methodist, New Connexion, Primitive Methodist and Free Methodist chapels. R. S. W. Sitwell esq. J.P. of Stainsby House, John Stephen Sampson, James Harker and Thomas Holdsworth esqrs. are the chief landowners. The soil and subsoil vary, but clay and loam predominate. The chief crops are wheat and pasture. The acreage is 1,594; rateable value, £12,361; the population in 1871 was 1,076; and in 1881 was 1,821.

NETHER PILSLEY is commonly called Lower Pilsley, and forms part of the village.

POST, M. O., S. D. & Annuity & Insurance Office.-William Frederick Clayton, sub-postmaster. Letters are received from Chesterfield via Clay Cross; delivery commences at 8 15 a.m. ; box cleared for dispatch at 4.30 p.m. & 7.30 p.m. The nearest telegraph Office is at Doe Hill station

WALL LETTER Box cleared at 4.40 & 7.40 p.m

Board School, under the Clay Lane United District School Board, erected in 1875-6, for 136 boys, 112 girls & 140 infants ; average attendance, 141 boys, 120 girls & 138 infants ; teachers, Alfred Durrant, boys' ; Miss Hannah Godber, girls' ; Miss Sarah Granger, infants'

Board School Park, house, erected in 1889, for 150 boys, 150 girls & 100 infants ; average attendance, 130 boys, 130 girls & 80 infants ; John S. May, master; Miss Margaret M. Shephard, mistress; Miss Alice M. Neale, infants' mistress

CARRIER-David Mosley, to Chesterfield on wednesdays & saturdays; to Mansfield on Thursday

Sampson Mrs
Storer Edward Arthur, Manor house
Wilkinson Thos. High Coney Green ho

COMMERCIAL.
Alvey Joseph, shopkeeper
Biggin Charles, sec. to Pilsley Colliery Go. &; assist. overseer & rate collector
Boot Sarah (Mrs.), grocer
Booth John. farmer, Bushey park
Bower George, farmer
Bower William Anthony, farmer
Brazenall Grace (Mrs.), grocer
Brocksopp John, commercial & family hotel
Brown George, boot & shoe maker
Brown George, draper
Brown Henry, shopkeeper
Cartwright Samuel, deputy to Pilsley Colliery Co
Churm William, shopkeeper
Clay Richard, Star P.H.
Coope Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Coopcr George, beer retailer & shopkpr
Co-operative Stores (Edward Crowe, manager)
Crofts William, shopkeeper
Crow John, farmer
Cutts George, farmer
Cutts Joseph, coke contractor for Clay Cross Co.
Cutts Samuel, Gladstone P.H. grocer, butcher & agent for T. Cooper & Co. brewers, Burton-on-Trent
Cutts Jsph. jun. farmer, Hallgate farm
Dickens William, farmer
Drabble William John, draper &c
Draycott Joseph, shopkeeper
Durrance Robert, storekeeper to Pilsley Colliery Co
Fensome Samuel, boot maker
Fletcher Samuel, smallware dealer
Forester Thomas, fruiterer
Greaves Abraham, pharmaceutical chemist & druggist (William Fredk. Clayton, manager)
Hall William, joiner & wheelwright
Hallam Robert, underviewer to Pilsley Colliery Co
Haslam William, blacksmith
Haynes George, shopkeeper
Hays Alfred, farmer
Hays Henry, farmer
Hays Henry, jun. farmer
Hays Henry, boot & shoe maker
Hewood Joseph, farmer
Hodgson George, farmer, Park house
Holdsworth Thomas, managing director Pilsley Colliery Co
Hollis Reuben, Willow Tree P.H.& brewer, butcher & farmer
Hudson Hy. bricklayer to Colliery Co
Hurt Thomas, farmer
Lomas George Henry, farmer
Mills William, shopkeeper
Mosley David, carrier & farmer
Nix Brian, farmer
Parker Francis R. butceher, grocer, provision merchant & farmer
Pilsley Colliery Co. (Thomas Holdsworth, managing director; Samuel Rayner, certificated manager)
Porrington Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Rayner Samuel, certificated manager to Pilsley Colliery Co
Rouse Charles, builder & stone mason
Sampson John Stephen, farmer & landowner
Selby Thomas, blacksmith
Spetch William Jn. stationer & newsagent
Storer Edward Arthur, farmer & landowner, Manor house
Thorpe Wm. cashier to Pilsley Colliery Co
Tomlinson John, surveyor to Pilsley Colliery Co
Twelves John W. draper
Unwin John, grocer & farmer
Wallwin William, grocer
Wild Edward, shopkeeper
Wilson Rowland, farmer
Wilson Henry, farmer, Ten acres
Wilson Oliver, wheehwright & joiner
Wilson Thomas, farmer
Windley Stephen, stationer, bookseller, bookbinder & newsagent; dealer in parer hangings & picture frame ma
Wood William, farmer
Wright Albert, hairdresser
Wright John, shopkeeper

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Pilsley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills