Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Peak Forest, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.283
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
PEAK FOREST is a liberty or parish and small village, 5 miles north-east from Buxton, 4 south-east from Chapel-en-le-Frith, in the High Peak division of the county, hundred of High Peak, union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Chapel-en-le-Frith, rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby, and diocese of Southwell. The Peak Forest station of the Midland railway is about 2 miles distant, and locally in Wormhill. The old church, a rectangular building, erected 1657 by Christiana, Countess of Devonshire, partly in the Italian style, has been pulled down. The present church of King Charles the Martyr, built in 1876, about 20 yards distant from the former site, by the Duke of Devonshire K.G. is an edifice of stone in the late Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles (Needham's chapel) on the north-east, vestry and an embattled tower with pinnacles, serving also as porch, on the south-west, and containing one bell dated 1657 : there is a monument to the Bower family of Rushop, dated 1756, and one to the Needhams (1742) : the centre light of the east window has been filled with stained glass to the memory of the Rt. Hon. Lord Frederick Charles Cavendish P.C., M.P. Chief Secretary for Ireland, assassinated in the Phoenix Park, Dublin, 6 May, 1882, and there are also stained windows in the Needham chapel and in the south aisle: there are 240 sittings. The register dates from the year 1669, but the earliest portion is in a dilapidated state ; from 1727 it is almost perfect. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £195, including It acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1881 by the Rev. George Rogerson L.Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham.
This was originally a free chapelry in the king's forest, and was extra-episcopal and extra-parochial, and up to 1804, when it was abolished by Act of Parliament, there was an average of 80 weddings annually, which might fairly be termed "Gretna" marriages. The minister then held a court for the proving of wills and making of affidavits &c. The ancient seal, now in the possession of the vicar, is dated 1661. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Many extensive lime works adjoin the Midland railway station.
There are the following charities :-Nicholas Green's, £2 4s. ; John Vernon, of Sparrow pit, 10s. ; John Vernon, Small dale, 10s. ; Humphrey Wilshaw's, £1 1s. ; Jeremiah Ward's, 10s. ; Samuel Frith's, £1 ; John H. Radcliffe's, £2 13S. 4d.; John Frith's (given in linsey), £1 4s. ; Samuel Needham's (in calico), £6 ; Countess of Devonshire's fund for apprenticing poor children, about £10; Rev. F. Gisborne's (for flannel), £5 10s. ; and S. Needham's of £4 2s. 6d. for coals. The soil is brown loam; subsoil, limestone ; the land is chiefly used for grazing purposes, the arable growing oats. The area is 5,299 acres ; rateable value, £4,935; the population in 1881 was 499.

Parish Clerk, J. F. Pearson.

POST OFFICE.-Mrs. Elizabeth Wylde, receiver. Letters arrive from Stockport at 9.45 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. week days only. Tideswell is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Church of England School (mixed), erected in 1868, for 100 children; average attendance 50; William Capewell, mast

Rogerson Rev. George L.Th. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL.
Barker William, farmer, Perryfoot
Barnsley George, farmer, Dam hole
Bower Annie (Mrs.), farmer, Laneside
Bower Nathaniel John, farmer, Slack ho
Bower William, farmer, Beyton's dale
Clayton Wm. joiner & farmer, Dam dale
Crichlow John, jun. farmer, Barmoor
Crichlow William, farmer, Peak's hill
Lakin Joseph, farmer, Small dale
Fletcher Edward, farmer, Loose hill
Fletcher Francis, shoe maker
Fletcher Henry, farmer, Kemp's hill
Fletcher John, farmer, Dam dale
Fletcher John, farmer, Ivy farm
Fletcher Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Pedleycote
Fletcher William, farmer, Back lane
Goodwin Samuel, farmer, Beyton's dale
Hadfield Robert, farmer, Heath
Hadfield Sarah (Mrs.), frmr. Small dale
Hadfield William, farmer, Dam side
Hall Herbert, Devonshire Arms P.H. Sparrow pit
Hambleton John, farmer
Hill George, Devonshire Arms P.H
Hill George, farmer, Brock terrace
Hill Joseph, farmer, Chamber knowl
Hoyle Daniel, coal merchant
Hoyle Daniel, farmer, Snelsow
Hoyle John, farmer, Back lane
Hoyle 'Thomas jun. farmer & shoe ma
Hoyle William, farmer, Small dale
Jackson John, farmer, Old dam
Jackson John, jun. farmer, Eldon
Jane Lomas Joseph, butcher
Lomas Joseph, farmer, Chamber farm
Lomas Thomas, farmer, Barmoor
Mellor Joseph, farmer, Barmoor
Mellor George, farmer, Loose hill
Mellor Thomas, farmer, Rushop edge
Parker William, farmer, Small dale
Peak Forest Equitable Co-operative Society Lim. (Jn. Thos. Taylor, mngr)
Pearson John, farmer
Sellors Joseph, joiner
Taylor Charles, farmer, Harratt grange
Taylor Jonathan, farmer, Barmoor
Vernon Frank, farmer, Knowl top
Vernon William, farmer, Ridge close
Warhurst John, farmer, Judge close
Watts Henry, farmer, Copp
Watts Isaac, farmer, Rushop edge
Wilson James, farmer, Small dale
Wylde Elizh.(Mrs.), farmer, Post office

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Peak Forest and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills