Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Mapperly, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.251
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
MAPPERLY is a township, 8 miles north-east from Derby, and 3 north-west from Ilkeston station, and was formed into an ecclesiastical parish 22 July, 1870, from the civil parish of Kirk Hallam, in the Ilkeston division of the county, Appletree hundred, Smalley petty sessional division, union of Belper, county court district of Belper and Ilkeston, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Nutbrook Canal crosses the eastern side of the township, and the Ilkeston and Heanor branch of the Great Northern railway also intersects it. The church of The Holy Trinity, built in 1851, is an edifice of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a western turret containing 5 tubular bells, fixed in 1890, to replace the 2 previous bells, dated 1851: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1851. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £68, net yearly value £125, with residence, in the gift of Colonel Newdigate, and held since 1887 by the Rev. John Magens Mello M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford, F.G.S. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. This is a colliery district. A charity of £3 12s. 6d. yearly, left in 1817 by the Rev. F. Gisborne, sometime rector for Staveley, is for clothing. Alfred Edward Miller Mundy esq. J.P. of Shipley Hall, who is lord of the manor, and Capt. William Drury Nathaniel Drury-Lowe D.L., J.P. of Locko Park, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The area is 961 acres of land and 21 of water; rateable value, £3,121; the population in 1881 was 432.

Parish Clerk, John Hawley.

POST OFFICE.-Mrs. Kezia Hart, receiver. Letters arrive from Derby at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 7.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Smalley. The nearest telegraph office is at West Hallam railway station

Mixed School, erected in 1867, & considerably enlarged in 1890, for 140 children & infants; average attendance, 100 children & infants; supported by voluntary contributions ; Mrs. Emma Downing, mistress
Mello Rev. John Magens M.A. [vicar]

COMMERCIAL.
Birkin Joseph, shopkeeper
Bunting James, farmer
Cope John, traffic manager to A. E. M. Mundy esq. J.P
Durow John, joiner
Durow Uriah, farmer
Else William, farmer
Fletcher John, farmer
Gamble William, coal dealer
Hardy John, shopkeeper
Harvey Joseph, Royal Oak P.H. & farmr
Harvey Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Harvey Samuel, Black Horse P.H. & farmer
Ling Joseph, farmer
Mapperly Colliery Co. Limited (William Hay, manager)
Millward Stephen, farmer
Pounder Harriet (Mrs.), farmer
Shepherd Lydia (Mrs.), farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Mapperly and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills