Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Doveridge, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.186-187
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
DOVERIDGE (or DOVEBRIDGE) is a township, extensive parish and village, on the river Dove, the old road from Derby to Uttoxeter and on the borders of Staffordshire, 2 miles west from Uttoxeter station, 137½ from London, 16 west from Derby, 12 north-west from Burton and 10 south-west from Ashbourne, in the western division of the county, Appletree hundred and petty sessional division of Sudbury, Uttoxeter union and county court district, rural deanery of Longford, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. Cuthbert, situated on an eminence, is a building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with spire, containing a clock and 5 bells, dating from 1633 : in 1842 the church was repaired at an expense of about £360; in 1866-8 it was restored and reseated, and in 1885 the western arch of the tower was opened and the organ removed at a cost of £270: the earliest monument is all alabaster slab, incised with the figure of a priest in vestments, his head resting on a pillow supported by angels ; the marginal inscription, now wholly illegible, probably dates from the 4th century: there is another alabaster slab, with a brass to Ralph Okover and his wife, dated 1495 : in the chancel is a fine mural monument to William Davenport, of Henbury, Cheshire, and his wife Mary (Milward), dated 1639; the upper compartment of this monument exhibits their life-size figures kneeling at a desk, and in the lower are effigies of their three daughters, also kneeling, and an infant reposing in a cradle: at the east end of the south aisle is a mural monument, supported by figures of angels, to Sir Thomas Milward, chief justice of Chester, and Thomazine, his wife, dated 1658; above are the emblazoned arms of Milward : there are also numerous memorials to the Cavendish family, including, in the chancel, a brass to Francis Cavendish, 1650 ; an alabaster mural monument to Francis Cavendish, 1658 ; and five memorial windows to Henry Manners Cavendish, 3rd Baron Waterpark, d. 31 March, 1863; the Hon. and Rev. Thomas Cavendish, 20 years vicar of this parish, d. 26 March, 1859; Vice-Admiral the Hon. George John Cavendish, d. 23 October, 1865; the Hon. Richard Cavendish, d. 18 March, 1876 ; and the Hon. Frederick Cavendish, d. 24 May, 1877: in the south aisle is a memorial window to Mary Stretton, d. 14 March, 1879 : the chancel retains a double piscina and an Early English font with circular basin resting on a shaft of clustered columns: there are 350 sittings, 50 being free : in the churchyard are the remains of a cross coeval with the erection of the chancel, and a remarkably fine yew tree of great age, 23ft. 6in. in circumference, covering an area 69ft. in diameter. The register dates from the year 1574 for all entries. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £336, with 82 acres of glebe, net yearly value £487, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire K.G. and held since 1870 by the Rev. Charles James Hamilton M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. A new burial ground, three quarters of an acre in extent, was presented by Lord Waterpark and consecrated in April, 1890. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1805. The charities amount to £20 yearly. Doveridge Hall, a noble brick mansion, built in 1763, commands an extensive view of the surrounding country: it is now occupied by Lord Hindlip, and is the property of the Right Hon. Lord Waterpark D.L. Who is the impropriator of the great tithes and lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Waterpark, Lord Vernon and the Marquess of Ormonde. The soil is various ; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and clover, and there is some rich pasturage. The acreage is 4,375; rateable value, £9,778; the population in 1881 was 696.

WEST BROUGHTON is a large hamlet, 1 mile south-east, where was formerly a Roman settlement.

EATON and SEDSALL, forming one hamlet, are 2 miles north.

LEY HILL, half a mile east, CLOWNHOLME, 3 miles north-north-west, HOLTWOOD, 2 miles south-east, and WOODHOUSE, 1 mile north, are places in this township.

Verger, Thomas W. Adams.

POST OFFICE.-Joseph Gaunt, receiver. Letters from Derby, arrive at 6.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6.45 p.m. There is a dispatch daily, sundays excepted, at 1 p.m. to Uttoxeter, & a mail received from the same place at 4 p.m. the expense of which is borne by Lord Hindlip. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Uttoxeter

Police Station, Joseph Myatt, constable in charge

National School, built in 1841, for 120 boys & girls & 40 infants ; average attendance, 50 boys & girls & 28 infants ; William Marshall Hand, master; Miss Annie Woolley, assistant mistress

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Hindlip Lord D.L., J.P. Doveridge Hall ; 33 Hill street, Berkeley square w & Carlton & Wyndham clubs, London sw
Shrewsbury & Talbot Earl of (hunting box), The Cottage
Waterpark Lord D.L., J.P. East lodge ; & Brooks' & Travellers' clubs, London sw
Dean James
Deanville Michael, The Laurels
Hamilton Rev. Chas. Jas. M.A. Vicarage
Hudson Thomas
Levett Henry Gordon, Cavendish lodge
Vipan Rev. Francis Curtis (unattached)
Welby Adlard

COMMERCIAL.
Adams Thomas William, builder
Adams William, cattle dealer
Ault Henry, shoe maker
Ball William, farmer, Woodhouse
Bannister George, miller (water)
Bannister James, tailor & farmer
Barker William, farmer, Eaton
Blakeman Samuel Thomas, butcher
Bradbury John, farmer
Bridgwood Charles, farmer, Old hall
Bullock Ezra John, builder, contractor, wheelwright, shoeing & general smith
Campion Mrs. Ann, farmer
Charlesworth William, farmer
Co-operative Society (William Kemp, manager), provision merchants, tea dealers &c
Dean James, hon. road surveyor
Deaville Stephen, farmer, Holtwood
Deaville Eli, farmer
Deaville Eli, jun. farmer, Deepmoor
Gaunt Joseph, shopkeeper, Post office
Hand William Marshall, schoolmaster
Hellaby Jsph. Wm. fmr. West Broughton
Jeffrey John, farmer, West Broughton
Johnson Sampson, farmer
Kemp William, manager Co-operative Society
Kniveton Samuel, farmer, West Broughton
Lees William, farmer, West Broughton
Morris Herbert, farmer, Palmer Moor
Mycock William, farmer, Ley hill
Nash Joseph, farmer, West Broughton
Oakden Edward, farmer
Povey William, agent to the Norwich Union Fire Insurance, commission agent & corn merchant
Powell Thomas, farmer
Prince Henry, farmer, Eaton
Rowe Thomas, farmer, Palmer moor
Salisbury Thos. farmer, West Broughton
Salt William, cowkeeper
Shaw Bertram Clement, blacksmith
Swinscoe Hugh, farmer, Haven house
Tunstall Joseph, tailor
Taylor Thomas Shepherd, assistant overseer, tax & rate collector & sec. to the Doveridge Co-operative Society
Walker William, farmer
Watson John, farmer
Welby Adlard, solicitor
Whiting David, Cavendish Arms P.H. & farmer
Wild Robert, farmer
Wood Gervasse Scott, farmer, Sedsall

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Doveridge and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills