Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Church Broughton, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.94
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
CHURCH BROUGHTON is a parish and village, 3 miles north-west from Tutbury station on the North Staffordshire railway, 10 south-west from Derby, 8 from Burton-upon-Trent, 9 south-east from Ashbourne and 130½ from London, in the Western division of the county, Appletree hundred and petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union and county court district, rural deanery of Longford, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Broughton brook flows through the western portion of the parish. The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled tower at the west end, containing a clock and 3 bells, dated respectively 1610, 1614 and 1810: there are three stone stalls in the chancel: the church was fully restored and reseated in 1885-6 at a cost of upwards of £1,500, when the floor was lowered ; a new organ, the gift of Miss Sampson, of Bent House, was erected at the same time: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538 for all entries. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £220, with residence, including 80 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1864 by the Rev. William Auden M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel erected in 1828; and there are a few charities. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Duke of Devonshire, W.M. Richardson esq. of Quardon, and William Wilkes esq. The soil is strong loam ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, oats and mangold. The acreage is 2,363; rateable value, £3,929; the population in 1881 was 588.

SAPPERTON is a hamlet, 1 mile north-west; HAREHILL is a hamlet, 2 miles north-west. John Harrison esq. of Snelston, is lord of the manor and chief landowner.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Salisbury.

POST & M. O. 0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Thomas George Thompson, postmaster. Letters through Derby arrive at 7 a.m. ; dispatched, 6.40 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Foston

Police Station. Thomas Powlson, Inspector

The Church Free School, endowed with £30 yearly, is now amalgamated with the National, erected in 1830, for 74 boys &; girls (mixed) & 40 infants ; average attendance 50 boys & girls & 30 infants; Thomas George Thompson, master; Miss Adelaide Augusta Thompson, infants' mistress

CARRIER.-Henry Fearn, to Burton-on-Trent. thurs. 8 a.m. ; to Derby. fri. 8 a.m

Auden Rev. William M.A. [vicar]
Blood John, The Lawn
Bott Richard
Sampson Miss, Bent house
Wilkes William

COMMERCIAL.
Allcock William, bricklayer
Atlen Trevor, farmer
Bannister George, shoe maker
Bannister Thomas, farmer, Dark lane
Blood Thos. Holly Bush P.H. & shopkpr
Bott Richd. farmer & brick manufactr
Brown German, shopkeeper
Edges George, dairy farmer, Sapperton
Fearn Henry, carrier
Hardy Isaac, shoe maker
Hardy Jacob, shoe maker
Hawkesley Aaron, farmer
Hibbert Caroline (Mrs.), beer retailer
Hough John, shopkeeper
Hudson William, farmer
Jackson Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer
Jackson Thomas, farmer, Heath top
Radford T. Smith, farmer, Mount Pleasnt
Salisbury Henry, cowkeeper
Salisbury Thomas, farmer
Stevenson John, farmer & landowner
Thawley Thomas, wheelwright
Tipper Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Heathouse grn
Tipper George, farmer, Crowfoot
Tunstall James, tailor
Turner Geo. shoe maker & letter carrier
Ward Edwin, farmer, Harehill
Webb William, farmer, Sapperton
Wilkes William, farmer & landowner


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Church Broughton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills