Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Bradwell, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.55 - 56
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
BRADWELL, nearly surrounded by lofty hills, is a township and old town, 10 miles north-north-west of Bakewell, 4½ north-north-east from Tideswell and 7 north-east from Millers Dale station on the Derby and Manchester section of the Midland railway. The parish, formed August 5th, 1875, from the parish of Hope, includes the townships of Abney, Great and Little Hucklow, Grindlow and Wardlow, and the lordship of Hazlebadge, in the High Peak division of the county, Chapel-en-le-Frith petty sessional division, Bakewell union and county court district, High Peak hundred, Castleton manor, rural deanery of Eyam, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The Dore and Chinley railway, now (1891) in course of construction, will pass near the village. The town is supplied with water from three reservoirs, the property of the rural sanitary authority, formed on the cliff above Hazlebadge. The church of St. Barnabas, erected in 1868, is a small building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber and a small turret, at the junction of chancel and nave, containing one bell : in 1889 a square embattled tower, in the Decorated style, was added at the south-west angle of the church, at a cost of nearly £700 ; one bell and a clock have been placed in the tower by the executors of the late E. M. Wass esq : there are 235 sittings: there is an extensive cemetery attached. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £270, net yearly value £230, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Henry Thornton Dudley M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. The Wesleyan chapel, built in 1807 and enlarged in 1878, seats 800 persons ; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1845, has 500 sittings ; and the Unitarian chapel, built in 1798, 70 : the first two have attached cemeteries. The inhabitants are mostly employed in stone quarrying. Near Eden Tree are two saline springs, only a few degrees lower in temperature than those of Buxton. Bagshaw Cavern, in the neighbourhood, is nearly half a mile in extent. The Duke of Devonshire K.G.is lord of the manor. The trustees of the late CoI. Charles Leslie K.H. (d. 1870) own a considerable part of the township. The soil is light, on limestone and grit stone. The chief crops are oats and hay. The acreage is 2,119; rateable value, £2,239; the population in 1881 was 1,019 and the parish 1,664.

ABNEY and ABNEY GRANGE, two small hamlets, form a township in this parish, 2 miles south-east from Bradwell. This manor, at Domesday Survey, belonged to William Peverel, or "Peveril of the Peak" : in the 16th century it was possessed by the Bradshaws, of Bradshaw Hall, in this county, from whom is descended the present lord or the manor, Charles Eyre Bradshaw Bowles esq. who is also the sole landowner in the manor. The area is about 1,328 acres ; rateable value, £617; and the population in 1881 was 77.

HAZLEBADGE lordship is half a mile south, and 4 miles north-east from Tideswell. The Duke of Rutland G.C.B. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. This manor also belonged to William Peveril, and contains 808 acres ; tithe free ; rateable value, £644 ; the population in 1881 was 45.

Sexton, Thomas Middleton.

POST, M. O. 0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Thomas Middleton, sub-postmaster. Letters received through Sheffield at 9.10 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. ; sundays, same time. The nearest telegraph office is at Hope

WALL BOX, Small Dale, cleared 4.50 p.m. ; Church street, cleared 5 p.m

SCHOOLS :-
A School Board of 5 members was formed in August, 1871 ; John Barber, clerk to the board & attendance officer
Board (mixed), erected in 1872, for 110 children; average attendance, 65 ; James Rowe, master; Miss Annie Miller Alexander, mistress

National (mixed), built in 1871, at a cost of £1,200, for 200 children; average attendance, 66 ; William Henry Pumfrey, master

OMNIBUSES TO SHEFFIELD.-John Fox, tues. thurs. & sat. ; Michael Ball, mon. & fri. returning same day

Bradwell.

Dudley Rev. Hy. Thornton M.A. [vicar]
Hill Rev. William Henry [Wesleyan]
Shenton Mrs. Whiteway
Rev. R. W. B. [Primitive Meth]

COMMERCIAL.
Andrew John, farmer, Pickins farm
Ashmore Elijah, farmer, Small dale
Bamford Mary Hall (Mrs.), coal dealer
Barber John, grocer, printer, & clerk to the school board
Barber John, clogger
Barker Robert, shopkeeper
Bennett Richard, farmer & baker
Bocking Abraham, boot & shoe maker
BradweII Wm. John & Co. drapers & tailors
Bradwell Horticultural Society (James Rowe, sec)
Bradwell Water Works (Zachariah Walker, superintendent)
Bradwell John, grocer
Bradwell Spencer Josh. butchr. & shopkpr
Bramall Nancy (Mrs.), Bowling Green P.H. Small dale
Bramall William, farmer, Small dale
Burrows Robert, farmer, Small dale
Cheetham John, shopkeeper, Small dale
Cheetham Ellen (Mrs.), Bulls Head P.H
Cooper John, shopkeeper
Cramond James, tailor
Dakin John, optician, Small dale
Dakin Stephen, shoe maker
Elliott George, butcher
Ford Thomas, farmer
Fox John, farmer & omnibus proprietor
Hall Harriet (Mrs.), Shoulder of Mutton P.H
Hall John, blacksmith
Hall John, farmer
Hall Michael, Bridge inn, & omnibus prop
Hall William, farmer, Cotes farm
Hallam George, shopkeeper
Hallam John, farmer
Hallam Robert, farmer, Within house
Hallam Stenton, tailor, Paradise farm
Hill William, clogger
Howe Aaron, farmer, Bottoms
Hunt Emily (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Jeffery Thomas, shopkeeper, Small dale
Jeffery Wm. farmer, Small Dale head
Jeffrey Joshua, George, farmer, Cotes
Liberal club (Thomas Dakin, sec.)
Longden Samuel, Bath inn, & farmer
Maltby George, brass finisher
Middleton Charles, butcher
Middleton Job, hat maker
Middleton Robert, farmer
Middleton Thos. hosiery ma. & post office
Middleton Thomas Henry, grocer
Morton Jabez, shopkeeper & farmer
Morton Luther, shopkeeper
Needham Abraham, Newburgh Arms P.H
Needham Robert, farmer, Small dale
Palfreyman Ellis, farmer
Poynton Robert, farmer
Riggott Elizabeth (Mrs.), White Hart P.H
Somerset Robert, joiner, & saw mills
Tanfield Robert, draper & tailor
Taylor Jsph. Hy. L.F.P.S. Glas. surgeon
Walker John, farmer
Walker Zachariah, assistant overseer & superintendent of water works
Wild John, joiner
Wright Joseph, farmer, Small dale

Abney.

Bowles Arthur Humphry, Heather lodge
Bowles Charles Eyre, Bradshaw
Bocking William, Cockey farm
Eyre Henry, farmer
Outram James, farmer
Redfern Francis, farmer
Rose Robert, farmer
Townsend Susan (Mrs.), farmer
Walker Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Webb Robert, farmer, Low farm

Abney Grange.

Bramwell Joseph, farmer
Moulson Abraham, farmer
Webb William, farmer

Hazlebadge.

Bingham Joseph, farmer, Intake
Clayton William, farmer
Fox Thomas, farmer, The Hall
Fox Albert, farmer
Heyward William, farmer
Howe Robert, farmer
Jennings Thomas, farmer, Hartlemoor
Jennings Thos. sen. farmer, Hartlemoor
Wragg Benjamin, farmer, Quarters
Wragg Thomas, farmer, Nether water

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Bradwell and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills