Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Wessington, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p. 323
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Are surnames CLAY, BRYAN or BRYON mentioned in your old Wessington wills or documents?
If so, please
email webmistress
WESSINGTON is a township and ecclesiastical parish, formed March 8, 1859, out of Crich parish, and is 1½ miles north-west from Wingfield station on the main line of the Midland railway, 3½ miles north-west-by-west from Alfreton, 10 south from Chesterfield and 143 from London, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Scarsdale, Chesterfield union, Alfreton petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. Christ Church, erected and consecrated in 1858, is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a turret containing one bell ; there is one small stained window : in 1884 the church was renovated and improved, and has now 208 sittings. The register dates from the year 1859. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £5, with 12 acres of glebe value £33, gross yearly value £165, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Crich, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Joseph Mulkerns B.D. of the University of France. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels here. There are charities of the annual value of about £12, consisting of a portion of the Gisborne Charity, left in 1818 by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, sometime rector of Staveley ; Kirkland's (1563); Hunter's (I735) ; and Cornthwaite's and Miss Hurt's Charities of more recent date ; these are distributed amongst the poor of this township. The inhabitants are principally employed at the surrounding collieries. At the back of the church are remains of monastic buildings now converted into cottages ; some of the windows and carved figures remain and appear to be of the 14th century. Major W. G. Turbutt. J.P. of Ogston Hall, and George Cressy Hall esq. J.P. of Swanwick Grange are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are G. C. Hall esq. J.P. Mrs. Goodwin, Major W. G. Turbutt, Charles Joseph Else esq. and George Goodwin esq. The soil is mixed ; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and pasture. The area is 73 acres ; rateable value, £1,810 ; the population in 1881 was 609.

WESSINGTON HAY is a mile to the west. Letters through Alfreton, which is the nearest money order office. The nearest telegraph office is at Higham.

WALL BOX, near the church, cleared at 5.5 p.m. week days only.
WALL LETTER BOX, Railway terrace, cleared at 5.35 p.m. week days only

National School (mixed), erected for a day & sunday school in 1841 for 100 children ; average attendance, 75 ; Wm. Dennis, master

Mulkerns Rev, Joseph B.D. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL.

Beardsley Frank, farmer
Bonsall John, farmer
Breedon John, farmer
Brown Elizh. (Mrs.), Horse & Jockey P.H.
Bryan John, farmer
Bryan Moses, farmer
Calledine Samuel, farmer
Cresswell Jn. brick & tile ma. & farmer
Fearn Charles, farmer
Fox William, farmer
Goodwin Ann (Miss), farmer
Goodwin Harriet (Mrs.), farmer
Goodwin John, joiner & wheelwright
Goodwin William, farmer, Brook farm
Hill Joseph, farmer, Wessington Hay
Hobsoil Thomas, farmer
Keeton John, farmer
Key Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Key Mary (Mrs.), grocer
Marshall Henry, farmer, Lindway lane
Noble Jonathan, farmer & butcher
Nuttall Joseph, farmer
Sims Anne (Mrs.), grocer, Railway ter
Slack Thomas, shopkeeper
Taylor Emanuel, farmer
Taylor Herbert, farmer
Taylor John, shoe maker
Tomlinson Samuel, blacksmith
Turner George, Three Horse Shoes P.H.
Ward George, farmer
Woodhouse Elias, frmr. Wessington Hay

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links
More on site information about Wessington and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills