Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Smalley, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.301
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
SMALLEY is a pleasant village, township and parish, formed in 1877 from the parish of Morley, with a terminal station at Heanor Gate on the Ilkeston and Heanor branch of the Great Northern railway, now (1890) in course of construction, 3 miles east from Coxbench station on the Derby and Ripley branch of the Midland railway, 4 east from Duffield station on the main line of the same railway and 6 north-east from Derby, in the Ilkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Smalley petty sessional division, Belper union, Belper and Ilkeston county court district, rural deanery of Ilkeston, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. John the Baptist, formerly a chapel to Morley, is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western turret containing one bell : the chancel was erected at the cost of Mrs. Radford, who also presented a stained window and the church has been restored and enlarged : there are sittings for 270 persons, all free. Half an acre of land, presented by R. S. Wilmot Sitwell esq. of Stainsby House, was added to the churchyard in 1878. The register of baptisms dates from 1854, of marriages from 1838, and of burials from 1814, the early registers and records being kept at Morley. The living is a rectory, yearly value about £250, including 22 acres of glebe, in the gift of R. S. Sitwell esq. of Morley Hall and held since 1890 by the Rev. Ernest Murray Robinson M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. Here is a Baptist chapel with an attached burying ground. There is a charity arising from land left by Samuel Richardson in 1711, the rents of which are paid to 15 poor colliers, each of whom receives £1 5s. per quarter; a sum of £6 10s, from the Gisborne charity, left in 1817, is also distributed. R. S. Wilmot Sitwell esq. J.P. of Stainsby House, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Arthur Radford esq. B.A., J.P. of Hale End, Essex, R. S. W. Sitwell esq. B.A., J.P. of Stainsby House, A. E. M. Mundy esq. J.P. of Shipley Hall, William Drury Nathaniel Drury-Lowe esq. D.L., J.P. of Locko Park, and Hugh A. S. Bateman esq. of Alveston. The soil is clayey. The chief crops are wheat and grass. The acreage is 1,657; rateable value, £3,972 ; the population in 1881 was 851.

Parish Clerk, John Spencer.

POST, M. O. & T. O., S. B. & Insurance & Annuity Office.- Mrs. Martha Ida Marriott, postmistress. Letters arrive from Derby at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. WALL LETTER BOX, at 'Rose & Crown,' cleared at 5.30 p.m

SCHOOLS:-
Endowed, erected in 1721 & since enlarged, for 220 boys ; average attendance, 210 ; the school was endowed in 1721 with about £200 yearly, by Samuel & John Richardson, for the education of 36 poor boys-16 from Smalley, 12 from Heanor & 8 from Horsley Woodhouse ; Thomas Dix & Henry Dix, masters
National (girls & infants), erected in 1848, for 70 girls & 50 infants ; average attendance, 75 ; Mrs. Mary Dix, mistress ; Mrs. Sarah Martin, infants' mistress

CARRIER TO DERBY.-Henry Eaton, mon. wed. & fri

Barber William Thomas B.A
Farnsworth William
Forshaw Thurstan
Garnham George James Waters
Hilton Rev. Edward [Baptist]
Lyon Mrs. Hayes lodge
Robinson Rev. Ernest Murray M.A. Rectry
Whitaker Mrs. Smalley hall

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Thomas, farmer, Kidsley park
Barber William Thomas, farmer
Beardsley William, landowner & farmer
Boam William, farmer
Booth Martha (Mrs.), farmer
Brown Thomas, beer retailer
Carrington Joseph, shopkeeper
Carrington Richard, farmer
Clayton Ayres, joiner
Collins Mary (Mrs.), Bell inn
Cox Herbert, blacksmith
Eaton Henry, farmer & carrier
Else Robert, grocer & frmr. Smalley mill
Finch Thomas, farmer, Smalley common
Forshaw Thurstan L.R.C.P. Edin. physician
Garnham George James Waters L.R.C.P. Edin. surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator for Smalley district, Belper union
Hartley David, New inn, & farmer, Smalley common
Hodgkinson Hugh, farm bailiff to R. S. W. Sitwell esq
Kerry Anthony, Rose & Crown P.H
King John, farmer, Smalley mill
Kyte John Hubbard, timber merchant
Kyte Robert, farmer
Marriott Martha Ida (Mrs.), post office
Morley Henry, farmer
Parkin Thomas, farmer
Peat Joseph, carpenter & collector of poor's rates, Smalley mill
Richardson Henry, farmer
Richardson William, farmer
Shaw Christopher, painter & grocer
Smith John, shoe maker
Statham Morley, grocer
Thompson William, shopkeeper
Turton John, coal dealer
Walker Joel, farmer, Heanor gate
Wright John, blacksmith

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Smalley and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills