Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Mackworth, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.250
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
MACKWORTH is a parish comprising the townships of MACKWORTH and MARKEATON, on the road from Derby to Ashborne, 2 miles west-north-west from Derby and 128 from London, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, Belper union, Derby petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Duffield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of All Saints is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch with parvise, aisles, vestry, organ chamber and a fine battlemented tower, surmounted by a short octagonal spire and containing a clock, put in at a cost of £135 in 1872, and 3 bells, respectively dated 1662, 1612 and 1616: the present nave, with the tower and spire, date almost exclusively from the end of the Decorated period (1360), the chancel being about fifty years earlier : the nave is separated from the aisles by three arches on each side supported on octagonal piers and responds, and opens into the chancel through an arch without corbels or capitals, a large pointed doorway at the west end leading into the tower: of the aisle windows, some are Decorated, others Perpendicular, the east window of the chancel, renewed in 1851, being a beautiful example of Early Decorated tracery: the tower is pierced on the west and south sides with cross loop-holes, a feature of rare occurrence in ecclesiastical architecture: the chancel has three ascending sedilia, and beyond these a piscina, all under trefoiled arches : in the north aisle are two richly carved Perpendicular niches of unequal height: against the north wall is a curious arched recess, and above it a projecting canopy, known as the "Abbot's seat," and probably the official seat or the abbots of Darley, to whom this church was appropriated : in the south aisle is an arched sepulchral recess, with a continuous flowered moulding, and beneath it an alabaster slab, with a sculptured head of a priest, an incised cross and a mutilated inscription, believed to be the tomb of Thomas Touchet, rector here from 1381 to 1409 : in the south aisle is a raised tomb of alabaster to Edward Mundy esq. (1607), and Jane his wife (1611), with his effigy in a long gown, and ruffs round the neck and wrists: the east window of the south aisle displays in stained glass the various impalements of arms of the Mundys of Markeaton, from the time of Edward I. : the parish chest dates from 1640 : the church was thoroughly restored in 1851 : the font, of Caen stone, was presented in 1852: a new pulpit of alabaster and marble, elaborately designed and inlaid with marbles, in the Florentine style, by Mrs. F. N. Mundy, in 1876, and the reredos by Mrs. Wm. Mundy, in memory of her husband, in 1878 : the stained east window is a memorial to F. N. Clarke Mundy esq. and a canopy over the vestry door, in richly carved alabaster, was erected in 1889 in memory of Mrs. Wm. Mundy : there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1611, is in good condition, and remarkably well written. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £170, including 15 acres of glebe, with residence (rebuilt in 1880, at a cost of about £2,000), in the gift of Francis Noel Mundy esq. D.L. who is also the lay impropriator, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Glencairn Alexander Shaw M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford. Crowshaw's charity of £28 yearly is for bread; other charities, of £36 yearly value, are distributed in money. In the village are the remains of a fine old gateway, formerly an entrance to Mackworth Castle. Francis Noel Mundy esq. D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy; sub-soil, various. The chief crops are oats, wheat, barley and pasture. The area is-Mackworth, 1,383 acres; Markeaton, 2,034 acres ; rateable value of Mackworth, £2,630 and of Markeaton, £5,436; the population in 1881 was 253 in the township of Mackworth, and 1,011 in the parish.

Markeaton is a township in the parish of Mackworth. Markeaton Hall, a large brick mansion with a park of 100 acres in front, is the seat of Francis Noel Mundy esq. D.L., J.P. (lord of the manor), and was erected in 1755: in the park is a small lake 4½ acres. Thornhill, the seat of Miss Isabel Mosley, commands a fine view of Derby, from which it is distant one mile west-by-south. The population in 1881 was 758, including 508 officers and inmates of the Derby workhouse and borough asylum.

BOWBRIDGE and WHEAT HILL are places in the parish, about 1 mile west-north-west.

Parish Clerk, Arthur Roome.
POST & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Arthur Roome, postmaster. Letters received from Derby at 4.20 a.m.; dispatched at 8.15 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Mickleover railway station

SCHOOLS :- Parochial (mixed), Mackworth, erected in 1868, for 100 children; average attendance, 50, & supported by Francis Noel Mundy esq. ; George Dutton, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Dutton, mistress
Girls', Markeaton, erected for 50 girls; average attendance, 25; attached is a residence for the teachers; Mrs. Elizabeth Dutton, mistress

Mackworth.

Edwards Henry Vincent
Greaves Frederick Wm. Mackworth ho
Shaw Rev. Glencairn Alexander M.A. Vicarage
Thomson Lieut.-Gen. James Sinclair J.P. Bowbridge

COMMERCIAL.
Bond William, farmer & wheelwright
Goodall William, farmer
Hanson John & Son, farmers
Hanson Samuel, farmer
Hanson Thomas, farmer
Johnson Mark, farmer
Johnson Lamech, nursery & seedsman
Johnson Thomas, farmer
Kelly Patrick, farmer
Knowles Thomas, farmer, Wheat hill
Maddocks Richard, farmer
Morley John, farmer, Castle farm
Morley Joseph, Mundy Arms P.H. farmer & cattle dealer
Smith Ellen (Mrs.), farmer
Smith George, farmer
Spalton John, farmer
Spalton Joseph, farmer
Tomlisson George, farmer

Markeaton.

Mosley Miss, Thornhill
Mundy Francis Noel D.L., J.P. Markeaton hall
Abel Thomas, farmer
Abel William, farmer
Brickwood Thomas, farmer, Thornhill
Bryer George, farmer, The Park
Bryer William, farmer
Byard William, farmer, Humbleton
Prince Thomas, farmer, Vickerwood
Turnbull William, land steward to Francis Noel Mundy esq. D.L., J.P
Whitehurst John, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Mackworth and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills