Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Lullington, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.249
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
LULLINGTON is a township, village and parish, on the southern border of the county, 7 miles south-east from Burton-upon-Trent, 7 north-east from Tamworth and 4 south-west from Gresley station on the Derby, Burton and Birmingham section of the Midland railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred or Repton and Gresley, Swadlincote petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of grey sandstone, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, vestry and a western tower with octagonal spire containing a clock and 6 bells, five or which were cast in 1778 from the original ring of three and a sixth added in 1786 : the tower and spire are all that remain of the old work, dating from the beginning or the Decorated period, c. 1300; of the church as reconstructed in 1778, the chancel and north wall of the nave still exist: the spire is of peculiar construction, several feet of the lower part being nearly perpendicular and forming a kind of lantern ; a part or the spire was taken down and rebuilt in 1766 at a cost of £45 4s. 11d. and in 1861 it was restored at a cost of £500 ; shortly afterwards the south aisle was built at a cost of £1,726 : the east and west windows are stained: there are 216 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560,and its earliest volume, of which a clear transcript has been made, is bound in an illuminated cover. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £112, including 63 acres of glebe, value £81, with residence, in the gift of the Hon. Mrs. Colvile, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Eustace King B.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. The charities amount to £2 6s. 6d. yearly. The village is lighted with gas from works belonging to the Hon. Mrs. Colvile, of Lullington Hall, lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,807 acres ; rateable value, £2,879; the population in 1881 250.

Parish Clerk, John White.

POST OFFICE.-Charles Fenton, receiver. Letters arrive from Burton-upon-Trent at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at S p.m. week days & 10.15 a.m. on sundays. The nearest money order office is at Coton-in-the-Elms & telegraph office at Overseal

School (mixed), erected in 1845, for 50 children; average attendance, 33 ; Mrs. Mary Ann Eliza Durant, mistress

Colvile The Hon. Mrs. Lullington hall
King Rev. Eustace B.A. Vicarage
Berridge Charles, joiner
Eardley Daniel, farmer, Westbrook farm
Gilbert Joseph, farmer, Woodfields
Hackett William, farmer
Lawton Frederick, farmer, Home farm
Lee John George, grocer
Moxon John Payne, farmer, Lady Leys
Radford William, Colvile Arms P.H. & blacksmith

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Lullington and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills