Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Great Longstone, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.248-249
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
GREAT LONGSTONE chapelry includes GREAT LONGSTONE with HOLME township, also LITTLE LONGSTONE, ROWLAND and part of WARDLOW townships, out of the parish of Bakewell, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, Bakewell union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Bakewell, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The village consists of one long street on high ground, sheltered by a range of hills, called "Longstone Edge," and has a station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway, 154 miles from London, 3 north-west from Bakewell and 12 west from Chesterfield. The water supply is derived from springs. The church of St. Giles consists of a chancel, clerestoried nave with arcades of six narrow arches on octagonal pillars, aisles, south porch, organ chamber, vestry and a battlemented western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 5 modern bells, the gift of G. T. Wright esq. : the earliest portions of the structure date from the middle of the 13th century: in the following century considerable alterations were made, and to this period must be assigned the Decorated arcades, the south porch and priest's door: the chancel windows are Perpendicular, but the east window has been mostly renewed : the fine roofs of the chancel, nave and aisles are also Perpendicular work, wrought with extreme care, and have embattled cornices and carved bosses at the intersections, some being of eccentric design and others bearing various heraldic shields: the clerestory windows seem to be even later and to belong to the 17th century and the tower also exhibits in various parts the effect of debased treatment: the chancel retains a small piscina in the south wall and an almery on the opposite side, and there is another piscina in the south aisle : the east window, formerly a memorial to the Eyres of Hassop, has been refilled with stained glass by Mrs. Bullivant to members of the Wright family, and there are eight other stained windows : the east end of the south aisle is inclosed by a screen of old oak, with the Eyre crest over the entrance; within, attached to a slab of black marble against the wall, is a plate of copper, finely engraved with the figures of a man and woman kneeling face to face at desks; below is a shield with the Eyre crest and a long Latin inscription to Rowland Eyre esq. of Hassop, ob. 1634, and Gertrude (Stafford), his wife: built into the west wall of the vestry is an effectively-carved Latin cross, supposed to have been formerly on the gable of the chancel: the church was restored in 1873, when a vestry was added, an organ chamber built and an organ introduced, the total cost being about £2,800: there are 300 sittings: south of the chancel stands the old churchyard cross, consisting of a tapering octagonal shaft, 6 feet high, rising from a wide base on three square steps ; the head alone is wanting. The register dates from the year 1638 and is in good preservation, with the exception of several pages rendered illegible by damp. The living is a vicarage, average yearly value of tithe rent-charge £38, net income £181, including 100 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Bakewell, and held since 1887 by the Rev. John Henry Bullivant, of St. Bees. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Great Longstone and a Congregational chapel at Little Longstone. The interest of £50 is distributed yearly amongst the poor of the township; a dole of meal to the value of about £7 is annually given to the poor of Longstone and Holme by the Duke of Devonshire ; and clothing for six aged persons (three men and three women) is provided by Wright's charity. Longstone Hall, the seat of the Rev. John Henry Bullivant (in right of his wife), is an ancient mansion at the west end of the village. Burre House, the residence of Mrs. Ewings, and Holme Hall, of Benjamin Armitage, jun. esq. are each a quarter of a mile north from the town of Bakewell. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is limestone; subsoil, stone beds. The crops are chiefly pasturage and roots. The township of Great Longstone with Holme contained in 1881 a population of 487 and the parish 639 ; the area of the township of Great Longstone is 3,028 acres ; rateable value. £6,871.

Sexton, Thomas Eyre.

Rowland is a township, with an acreage of 303; rateable value, £800 ; the population in 1881 was 68.

Little Longstone, at the foot of a bold range of hills, is 3¼ miles north-west from Bakewell and half a mile from Great Longstone. The land is chiefly grazing, upon the limestone formation. The river Wye flows on the west through the valley of MONSAL DALE, a fine view of which is obtained from HEADSTONE HEAD, in Ashford township, from which a good road leads through the dale to Cressbrook and Litton. At MONSAL DALE is a station on the Ambergate and Manchester section of the Midland railway. The area is 1,016 acres of land and 22 of water; rateable value, £3,450; the population in 1881 was 152.

POST OFFICE, Great Longstone.-Mrs. Sarah Lowe, receiver. Letters received from Bakewell at 8.30 a.m. ; sundays 9 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.; sundays 11.30a.m. Ashford is the nearest money order office. The telegraph office is at the railway station. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

WALL BOX, Bakewell Union, cleared 9.40 a.m. & 5.15 p.m

National School (mixed & infants), built by subscription in 1862, at a cost of £450 & enlarged in 1876, for 70 boys & girls & 40 infants ; average attendance, 43 boys & girls & 26 infants, 14 acres of land, now producing £10 yearly, being assigned for the support of a master; there is also a bequest of £5 5s. yearly left by Wm. Wright in 1656, now paid to the master for teaching 8 poor children; Hy. Arthur Spanton A.C.P. master; Mrs. Sarah Parkin, infants' mistress

RAILWAY STATIONS :-
Longstone. Richard Coe, station master
Monsal Dale, William James, station master

Great Longstone.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Armitage Benjamin, Holme hall
Bullivant Rev. John Henry [vicar], Longstone hall
Dixon William Pitt, Thornbridge cot
Ewings Mrs. Burre house
Foster Mrs. Aldern house
Furniss George, Croft house
Hinchcliffe Mrs. Underwood
Legge Hon. Charles Gounter, Longstone lodge
Mead Samuel Argill, The Grange
Mills James, The Cottage
Shaw William Longsdon, The Outrake, Little Longstone
Smithers Capt. Edward J.P. Little Longstone
Thornhill John, Mount Pleasant
Thornhill John William

COMMERCIAL.
Ashton David, farmer, Little Longstone
Bennett Joseph & Isaac, blacksmiths
Booth James Andrew, joiner & farmer
Bottoms Joseph & Son, manufacturers of skips, hampers &c
Bottoms Marcella (Mrs.), grocer
Bradbury Augustus, private school
Bridge Richard, farmer, Monsal Dale
Brightmore John, mason
Coe Richard, station master, Longstone station
Carrington Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Doddemead James, butcher
Dore Samuel, farmer, Ewe close
Ellwood Charles, grocer
Eyre Arthur William Joseph, builder
Furniss William, farmer
Furniss William James, farmer
Glassbrook James, White Lion P.H
Hambleton George, shoe maker
Hawkins Samuel James, farmer
Heath Annie (Mrs.), Crispin hotel
Heath James Tilbrook, gamekeeper to R. Clifford Smith esq
Holme Hall Chert Quarries (Robert William Allsop, manager)
Hutchinson Robert, farmer
James William, statn. mast. Monsal Dale
Johnson Joseph, farmer
Lewis Joseph, joiner
Lupton William, gamekeeper to R. Clifford Smith esq. Monsal Dale
Millington William, chert merchant
Nadin James, manager of goods station
Oliver Mary (Mrs.), Harrow P.H
Orr James, farmer
Parkin John, farmer, Little Longstone
Scott Wm. Clarkson, farmr. Monsal Dale
Shaw George, farmer, Monsal Dale
Shimwell Elizabeth (Mrs.), furnished apartments, Monsal Dale
Shimwell Thomas, bar master, farmer, & furnished apartments, Monsal Dale
Skidmore Robert, farmer
Somerset Thomas, cotton doubler, Lumford mills
Taylor Aaron, farmer
Taylor Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Taylor William, Pack Horse P.H. Little Longstone
Timm John, carter
Timm Joseph, farmer
Wager Jasper, farmer
Walsh Martin, mngr. at Lumford mills
Wheatcroft Nathaniel & Sons, coal office, Hassop station
Wheeldon Ann (Mrs.) & Jonathan, Hassop Station inn
Wright Tom, coal mer. Hassop station

Rowland.

Ashton Thomas, farmer
Bacon Joshua, farmer
Bennett William, relieving officer, North district, Bakewell union
Brightmore James, boot maker
Bunting George, farmer
Johnson Jaspar, farmer
Murphy Patrick, farmer
Needham Samuel, farmer
Oliver Robert, farmer


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Great Longstone and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills