Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Idridgehay, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.235
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
IDRIDGEHAY, with ALTON and IRETON WOOD, are townships, and form a parish, constituted 11 April, 1856, from the parishes of Wirksworth, Duffield and Kirk Ireton, with a station (Idridgehay) on the Midland branch railway from Duffield to Wirksworth, 3 miles south from Wirksworth, 10 north-by-west from Derby, and 5 west from Belper, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Appletree, union of Belper, county court district of Wirksworth, petty sessional division of Wirksworth, rural deanery of Wirksworth, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. James, erected at a cost of about £3,500, chiefly by the late Robert Cresswell esq. and James Milnes esq. and consecrated 12 August, 1855, is a building of stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, north aisle, south porch and a tower at the east end with spire, and containing one bell: the eastern and western windows are both memorials to the late Robert Cresswell esq. and were placed in the church in 1863, the former by his surviving sisters, and the west window by friends : there are 240 sittings, 186 being free. The register dates from the year 1855. The living was declared a vicarage, 12 July, 1867, gross yearly value £300, including 39 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the dean and chapter of Lichfield, and held since 1855 by the Rev. Thomas Vernon Mellor M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, and rural dean of Wirksworth. The vicarage house is pleasantly situated at the entrance to the village.

ALTON is about 1 mile north, and covers an area of nearly 500 acres : Henry Walthall Walthall esq. J.P. is sole landowner: his seat, Alton Manor is an elegant mansion in the Elizabethan style, pleasantly situated on the Wirksworth road, about 2 miles south of that place. The land is held by numerous owners. The soil is gravel and clay ; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are grass. The acreage is 1,032 ; rateable value, £3,0I4; the population in 1881 was - of the entire parish, 587 ; and of the township 235.

IRETON WOOD is a township and considerable hamlet, 1 mile south-west from Idridgehay railway station. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1869. Henry Swingler esq. J.P. who resides at Ireton Wood House is a principal landowner. A detached part comprising the district of Blackwall, and nearly 2 miles north-west from Ireton Wood Hamlet is now attached to Kirk Ireton.

POST, M. O. O., S. H. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Idridgehay.-John William Wayne, jun. postmaster. Letters through Derby arrive at 5.30 a.m. ; dispatch3d at 7.30 p.m. There is a telegraph office at the railway station

Parochial School, erected by subscription in 1866, for 115 children ; average attendance, 58; Miss Christina North, mistress

Railway Station, Alfred George Beeton, station master

Idridgehay.

Chambers Mrs. South Sitch house
Chambers Robert Baker B.A. South Sitch house
Mellor Rev. Thomas Vernon M.A. [vicar & rural dean] Vicarage
Mellor Capt. Vernon Henry J.P. The Vicarage
Parkin John Robert
Robotham Alpheus Hy. Ecclesbourne ho
Smithson Wm. Geo. Ecclesbourne cot
Taylor Joseph Walker Miss

COMMERCIAL.
Beeson Henry, farmer
Burnett John, Swan P.H
Chambers Robert Baker B.A. solicitor, South Sitch house
Deaville William, farmer & landowner
Downing William, farmer
Elliott Robert, farmer
Gamble Charles, shopkeeper
Oakley William, brick maker
Moore Thomas William, farmer & miller, Shirburn mill
Parkin John & Son, land &estate agents, valuers, architects & surveyor
Rains Jas. & Son, farmers, Wallstone frm
Stevenson John, carriage builder
Taylor Robert, farmer, Windley lane
Walker William, farmer, Cliff Ash
Walker William jun. farmer, Cliff Ash
Wayne John William, butcher
Wheeldon John, blacksmith
Winson John, farmer
Wood Charles, farmer
Wright Joseph, blacksmith

Alton.
[Letters through Wirksworth.]
Walthall Henry Walthall M.A., J.P. Alton Manor (letters should be addressed, Alton manor, Derby)
Rains James, farmer, Alton hall
Riley Wm. miller & farmer, Alton mill
Stevenson Josiah, gardener to H. W. Walthall esq. J.P
Spencer William, farmer

Ireton Wood.

[Names marked thus* receive letters via Wirksworth.]
*Blackwall John
Blackwall Evans J.P
*Foottit Fred Francis, The Laurels, Windley lane
Swingler Henry J.P. Ireton Wood house

COMMERCIAL.
Beeson John, farmer
Beeson William, farmer
*Foottit Fred Francis, artist, The Laurels, Windley lane
Jeffery George, farmer
Kay George, farmer, Rakestones
Matkin William, farmer
*Redfern John, farmer
Riley Abel, farmer
Spendlove William, farmer
Taylor Lewis, farmer
Taylor William, farmer
Wheeldon Edwin, farmer
Wheeldon Richard, farmer
Whittingham Samuel, farmer

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Idridgehay and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills