Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Haddon, Derbyshire (Nether Haddon, Over Haddon & Harthill)
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.218 - 219
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page

Photo Gallery


Haddon Hall 1840



Haddon Hall


NETHER HADDON, formerly extra-parochial, is a parish, 2 miles south-east from Bakewell, 3 north-west from Rowsley Station and 150 from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of High Peak, union and petty sessional division and county court district of Bakewell, situated on the river Wye. Haddon was held at an early period by William de Avenell, whose daughter and co-heiress, Avice, marrying Richard de Vernon, carried it into that family: his descendant, Sir George Vernon kt. by his splendor and hospitality, acquired the name of the "King of the Peak," and dying in 1567, left two daughters as co-heiresses, one of whom, Margaret, married Sir Thomas Stanley kt. of Winwick, second son of Edward, 3rd Earl of Derby K.G.; the other, Dorothy, eloped with and was married to Sir John Manners, second son of Thomas, 1st Earl of Rutland K.G. : subsequently Haddon became the property of the Dukes of Rutland, and was the principal seat of that family until the beginning of the last century: the Hall, which is a very fine and complete specimen of an ancient baronial residence, stands on an acclivity on the eastern bank of the Wye, here crossed by an old bridge, the buildings forming two quadrangles at different levels; the tower of the gateway is supposed to have been built in the reign of Edward III. and the long gallery in that of Elizabeth: the chapel, which, with the hall, forms the most ancient part of the structure, dating from 1427, stands at the south-west angle of the lower court and is entered by a doorway on the north side; it consists of a chancel and nave, with aisles, its earliest portion being a circular Norman pier, supporting two arches between the nave and south aisle, and dating from the 12th century; the Early English period is illustrated by four lancet windows in the south aisle, with some fragments ; the present north aisle, the octagon pier supporting its two arches, as well as some portions of an ancient rood screen, are Decorated : the chancel seems to have been thoroughly rebuilt during the Perpendicular period, probably in 1425, when the glass in its west window was inserted: the square-headed north and south windows, the clerestory and the elegant bell turret, supposed to have been erected by William Vernon, probably date from about 1455 ; the roof is low and was most likely reconstructed in the days of Sir George Manners, which is also the date of the balustraded pews in the chancel, the pulpit, desk and communion rails, which with other wood work appear to have been once profusely gilded; on the right of the doorway is a projecting octagonal stoup, nearly a foot in diameter ; to the left is a door leading to the bell turret, from which an entrance anciently conducted to the rood screen; in the south aisle is a venerable oak chest of the 15th century, carved with heraldic shields, and on the floor lies an ancient altar stone with five incised consecration crosses: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia and another altar slab, also on the floor; the ancient stained glass, much of which was stolen during one night in the year 1828, is still of great interest ; it was carefully restored in 1858 and bears an inscription to Sir Richard Vernon, born in 1395, M.P. for Derbyshire, speaker of the Parliament summoned to meet at Leicester, 18 Feb. 1425-6 and treasurer of Calais, ob. 1451, and to his wife Benedicta (Ludlowe), who erected the chancel windows in 1427 ; in 1858 various wall paintings were discovered on the south side of the chancel, at the west end of the nave and on the arches of the north arcade, including groups of the Holy Family, the Presentation of the Virgin, the Flight into Egypt, the Virgin learning to read and other subjects : in the north aisle is an ancient Norman font ; the total length is 49 feet, of which the chancel occupies 28: in the range of buildings between the courts is the banqueting hall, which rises to the full height of the buildings, has an open timbered roof and is entered by two doorways in an oak screen with Gothic panelling, above which is the minstrels; gallery : the dining room adjoining is wainscoted, and has at one end a mullioned window of eight lights, decorated with heraldic devices, and a beautiful oriel window overlooking the grounds : the stone ceiling is adorned with devices in fresco ; above this is the drawing room, hung with tapestry, and having a recessed window and richly ornamented ceiling: the ball room or long gallery, 109 feet long and 18 wide, occupies one side of the upper court and overlooks the garden ; it is floored and wainscoted with oak, and has a stone mullioned window of 24 lights at the garden end, three recessed windows on one side and two on the other: a connected ante-room leads to the state bedroom, which is hung with Gobelins tapestry and lighted by a large bay window, and contains a bed 14 feet high, furnished in green silk velvet and white satin, exquisitely embroidered: from this room access is gained by a spiral flight of 70 stone steps to the summit of the Peveril tower, from which a beautiful view is obtained : the kitchen is of great size, with a massive wooden ceiling supported in the centre by a pier of solid oak, and contains two large fireplaces and several relics. The grounds comprise upper and lower gardens corresponding to the courtyards ; from the upper, which is 120 feet square, a wide flight of stone steps leads to a balustraded terrace, extending along one side and shaded by ancient yew tree : a door leading from the long gallery by a short flight of steps on to this terrace is that by which Dorothy Vernon is reputed to have left the mansion on her elopement, and is still known by her name; parallel with this garden, on a higher level, reached by a flight of steps, is a broad avenue of sycamore and lime trees, called Dorothy Vernon's walk: the lower garden extends down the hillside, and by the wall of the chapel 67 stone steps lead to the old foot bridge over the river: the house is open to the public from 10 to 4 daily during the summer months. In the grounds are two yew trees, clipped so as to resemble a boar and a peacock, the former being one of the supporters of the Vernon arms and the latter the crest of the Manners family. The Duke of Rutland G.C.B. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The area of the township is 1,499 acres; rateable value, £4,122 ; the population in 1881 was 11.

Over Haddon is a township in the parish of Bakewell, 2 miles south from Bakewell. The village, situated on a rocky eminence, commands a most romantic view. The Earl Cowper has, at considerable expense, had a reservoir erected on the Close farm, in the township, which is supplied with water pumped by machinery from the river Lathkil, to supply the inhabitants of this upland, who have in times of drought suffered much; the waste or overflow from the reservoir is conducted by pipes and supplies two farms. St. Anne's chapel of ease, erected in 1880, is a plain building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are 80 sittings; it is served by the clergy of Bakewell and there is a resident lay reader. There is also a Wesleyan Reform chapel here. The Earl Cowper K.G., P.C. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Earl Cowper, the Duke of Rutland G.C.B. and the Duke of Devonshire K.G. The soil is limestone loam; subsoil, limestone beds. The chief crops are oats, roots and pasturage. The area is 1,399 acres ; rateable value, £1,575 ; and in 1881 contained 178 inhabitants.

Harthill (or Hartle) is also a township, in the parish and county court district of Bakewell, 2 miles south-west from Bakewell. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Duke of Rutland and Major Michael McCreagh Thornhill of Stanton-in-the-Peak. The soil is light limestone; subsoil, stone beds. The crops are principally roots and pasturage. The acreage is 920 ; rateable value, £888 ; the population in 1881 was 89.

Letters through Bakewell arrive about 9 a.m. which is the nearest money order & telegraph office

WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 6.15 p.m Church of England School (mixed) (non-government), erected in 1860, to hold 35 children; supported by the Ven. Dr. Balston, archdeacon of Derby & vicar of Bakewell; average attendance. 25 ; William Price, master ; boys are educated up to 10 years old & are then transferred to Bakewell

Nether Haddon.

Fox Edward Ward, Haddon house
Fox Mrs. Haddon house
Swaine Joseph (Mrs.), keeper of Haddon hall, Haddon cottage

Over Haddon.

Warren Thomas

COMMERCIAL.
Bramwell John, farmer
Dakin John, farmer
Finney William, farmer, Grove
Jones Thomas, farmer, Grove
MelIor George, farmer
Mellor John Bagshaw, farmer
Mogshaw Mining Co. barytes & lead mine owners (Jas. Smith, manager)
Potter Samuel, farmer
Price William, lay reader & schoolmastr
Taylor Charles, farmer
Wallwin William, farmer, Grove
Wheels Rake Mining Co. (William Garrett, sec)
Wildgoose John, farmer
Wildgoose Joseph, farm bailiff to Earl Cowper, The Close farm
Wildgoose Annie (Miss),LathkiI View htl

Harthill.

Bateman Fras. farmer, Nether Greenfield
Flewitt Joseph, farmer, Hartle moor
Garrett Henry, farmer, Upper Greenfield
Nadin Thomas, farmer, Greenfield
Potter William, farmer, Harthill hall
Stevenson Elizh. (Mrs.), farmer, Millfield
Twyford Joseph, mason, Broad meadow

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Haddon and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills