Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Foremark and Ingleby, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - p.209
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Nxt Page
FOREMARK is a parish, near the river Trent, 6½ miles south-south-west from Derby, 3½ north-east from Willington station on the Derby and Burton-on-Trent branch of the Midland railway, comprising the townships of FOREMARK and INGLEBY, in the southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, Repton petty sessional division, Burton-upon-Trent union, county court district of Derby. The church of St. Saviour is a small and plain building of stone in a debased Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells, the two first dated 1668 and the others 1660 and 1662 respectively : the chancel is divided from the nave by a high glazed oak screen of singular design: the communion table is a slab of grey marble, measuring 5 feet by 3 feet 6 inches, supported on a wooden frame and is the identical table consecrated by Bishop Hacket : the font, apparently Early English, consists of a bowl on a pillar-shaped base : a gallery was erected in 1819 at the west end : on the tower and the south exterior wall of the church are sun-dials, one of which is dated 1650: there are 170 sittings, The register dates from the year 1662. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £102, derived partly from the Foremark estate, in the gift of Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart. and held since 1880 by the Rev. Thomas Orrell, of St. Aidans, who resides at Ticknall. Foremark Hall, built in 1762 and the seat of Col. Sir Francis Burdett bart. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a fine stone mansion, surrounded by beautiful trees and shrubs; in the grounds is a lake of considerable dimensions. Soil, various; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area of the township is 1,135 acres ; rateable value, £1,539; the population in 1881 was 61 in the township and 165 in the parish; 50 acres have been added to Foremark from adjoining parishes.

Sexton, Joseph Pearson.

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger arrive at 9 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne ; the nearest post-office at Stanton

Ingleby is a township in this parish, 7 miles south from Derby. Colonel Sir Francis Burdett bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 866 acres ; rateable value, £1,345; the population in 1881 was 104.

Sir Francis Burdett's School, erected in 1835, for 26 infants ; average attendance, 22 ; Mrs. Marian Docker, mistress. The elder children of this place attend Ingleby & Stanton-by-Bridge schools

Letters through Derby arrive at Stanton-by-Bridge & thence by messenger, arrive at 8,30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Melbourne and the nearest post-office at Stanton

Foremark.
Burdett Cot. Sir Francis bart, D.L., J.P. Foremark hall
Goodall John, farmer
Hutchinson John, farmer, Foremark Park farm
Matthews Wm.Jas. farmer, Bendall farm

Ingleby.
Coxon Joseph, farmer
Mann William Augustus, farmer, Ingleby Hill farm
Pearson Thomas, cowkeeper
Poyser Richard, farmer
Stephenson Edward, farmer
Wright William, shoe maker


[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links
More on site information about Foremark, and Inglebyand the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills