Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Dethick, Lea and Holloway, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp. 183-184
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page


Holloway's War Memoria
l



Lea Mills, one mile from Cromford Station



Lea Mills, Lead Smelting Works & Coumbs Wood


DETHICK, LEA and HOLLOWAY form a chapelry, 11 miles south-east from Chesterfield, 2½ south- east-by-east from Matlock Town and 2½ north-by-east from Cromford, which is a station on the Midland railway, in the Western division of the county, Wirksworth hundred and county court district, Matlock and Wirksworth petty sessional division, Belper union, rural deanery of Alfreton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. John the Baptist is a small edifice of stone, dating from 1220, and consists of chancel, nave and a lofty western tower, dated 1535, containing one small bell: there are three memorial windows, and 60 sittings. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £110, including 53 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the Rev. Brabazon Hallowes H.A. of Glapwell, near Mansfield, and held since 1860 by the Rev. Charles Holcombe Leacroft M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of and resides at Brackenfield. Gisborne's charity of £6 10S. yearly is for clothing. The Rev. Brabazon Hallowes M.A. is lord of the manor of Dethick and principal landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gritstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and about one-half the land is in pasture. The acreage is 1,826; rateable value, £4,748; the population in 1881 was 1,036.

Lea is a populous village, half a mile south from Dethick and 2½ miles from Cromford station. The river Derwent, the Midland railway and the Cromford canal pass near the south of this village. There is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, erected in 1838-9 by the late Joseph Wass esq. at a cost of £1,000, and seating 250 persons. A cemetery for the district of one acre was formed in 1872, and has since been enlarged to It acres; there is a mortuary chapel, presented by Mrs. Wass and recently enlarged at the cost of Robert Wildgoose esq. J.P. ; it will now seat 60 or 70 persons. Here are lead smelting works and the extensive spinning and hosiery manufactory of John Smedley, Lea mills, which give employment to a large number of persons. The Green, a mansion in the Elizabethan style, is the residence of William Henry Middleditch esq. Lea Hurst, an elegant Mansion, in the Gothic style, was for many years the home of Miss Florence Nightingale, and is now the residence of Sir Joseph Cocksey Lee J.P. W.Shore-Smith esq. of Embley Park, Hants, is lord of the manor, and principal landowner of Lea and Holloway. The population is included with Dethick.

Holloway is a pleasant village, standing on a bold acclivity, and is situated half a mile from Lea and 1½ miles north-west from Whatstandwell Bridge station: there are several good residences, chiefly occupied by persons engaged at Lea mills. Here is a Free Methodist chapel, erected in 1852 and enlarged in 1879, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1883; the old chapel built in 1852 being now a school, the latter sect having two chapels. Lea Wood is the residence of William Walker esq.

POST OFFICE, Lea.- William Henry Lowe, receiver. Letters received from Derby via Cromford at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
POST & M.0.0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Lea Bridge.-Charles Knowles, postmaster. Letters received from Derby, via Cromford, at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.40 p.m. Cromford is the nearest telegraph office
POST OFFICE, Holloway.-Aaron Bunting, receiver. Letters received through Derby, via Cromford, at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Crich ; money order office at Lea Bridge. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid

A School Board of six members was formed in May, 1888 ; Alfred Douglas, clerk to the board

Lea Board school with residence for master, erected in 1859, for 200 children & enlarged 1889 at a cost of £400, for 264 children; average attendance, 76 boys, 71 girls & 48 infants; William John Prinsep Burton, master; Mrs. Adeline Burton, infants' mistress ; there is a science class in connection with the school attended by 70 scholars

Dethick.

Dalziel Francis, farmer
Lowe James, farmer, Manor farm
Watts Joseph, farmer

Lea.
Lee Sir Joseph Cocksey J.P. Lea Hurst
Lowe Henry, Holt house
Pearson Joseph, Bemoor house
Middleditch William Henry, The Green
Wathey Miss

COMMERCIAL.

Bradley James, shopkeeper
Buxton Samuel, carpenter & farmer
Douglas Alfred, cashier at Lea mills & clerk to the school board
Else Charles, farmer
Else Jn. äerated water manufr. Lea wood
Else William, shopkeeper, Lea bridge
Lea Mills (John Smedley, proprietor)
Lowe Henry, farmer
LOWE ROBERT, woolstapler & waste merchant, Lea wood ; & at Tansley
Lowe Wm. Hy. shopkpr. & post office
Marriott Thomas, farmer
Martin John, farmer, The Moor
Miers John, manager of smelting works, Chapel house
Pearson George, boot maker
Radford Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Lea hall
Rawson William, Three Horse Shoes P.H. blacksmith & farmer
Slack Joshua, Jug & Glass P.H
SMEDLEY JOHN, merino & wool yarn spinner, merino, silk & merino & wool hosiery manufacturer, Lea mills
Stoppard Thomas, farmer & butcher
Walker Samuel, farmer
WASS SON (trustees of), lead smelters (John Miers, manager of smelting works

Holloway.

Barraclough Rev William [United Methodist ], The Manse
Broome John, The Woodlands
Smedley John Marsden, Leaholme
Walker William, Lea wood

COMMERCIAL.

Allsop Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Bunting Aaron, stationer & news agent, Post office
Cemetery (George Dawes, sec. ; Joseph Buxton, sexton)
Clayton Robert, mason & builder
Clayton Sarah (Mrs.), Yew Tree P.H. & grocer &c
Co-operative Society Limited (Joseph Archer, manager)
Critchlow Joseph, farmer
Dawes George, estate agent & assistant overseer
Flint George, fruiterer
Hadfield Henry, draper
Hughes William, baker & grocer
Lowe Frederick, beer retailer
Marple George, carpenter & blacksmith
Northridge In. farmer, Upper Holloway
Radford Frederick, carriage proprietor
Reading Room (Wm. I. P. Burton, sec)
Rockley Thomas, farmer
Sayles Thomas, timber mer. & farmer
Sims Samuel, farmer
Swain Sarah (Miss), dress maker
Walker Thomas, butcher
Wilton Edward, haberdasher
Yeomans William, land agent & tillage valuer & steward to W. Shore-Smith

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Dethick Lea and Holloway and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock
The War Memorial, 1920s

Also see
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills

More on site information about John Smedley and his hydro
Water Cures
Riber
Smedley's Advert
Smedley's concern for an employee

More on site information about both Florence and the Nightingale family:
Florence Nightingale as a young woman
Nightingale Coat of Arms
Pedigree of the Nightingale family
Biographies
Florence Nightingale's Balcony, Lea-Hurst, Nr. Matlock
A Photo of Lea Hurst is amongst scanned images in "Souvenir of Matlock Bath" and can also be seen onsite