Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Brampton (Old Brampton), Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.56-57
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Index
Previous Page
Next Page
BRAMPTON is a township, extensive and important village and parish, including the district of St. Thomas', New Brampton, adjoining Chesterfield on the west, in the Chesterfield division of the county, Scarsdale hundred, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Chesterfield, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of SS. Peter and Paul [has a] nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a tower with octagonal broach spire, containing a clock and 5 bells with inscriptions, and a sanctus bell in a bell-cot over the eastern gable of the nave: of the church existing here prior to 1253 there is at least one relic in the Norman doorway of the south porch, which on the inside becomes Early English, the two styles being intermixed : the south porch, with the Decorated: the exterior walls exhibit various singular stone figures or Early English date, including effigies under canopies of SS. Peter and Paul: the north aisle retains a piscina with a trefoiled head: the chancel has a fiat Perpendicular roof, the east window and two others on the south being of the same period : in the wall at the west end of the nave is a stone slab with inscription, in Lombardic characters, to Matilda le Cans, probably the heiress of that barony, who died in 1224 : through a quatrefoil opening at its upper end appear the head and shoulders of a female in bas-relief, and a narrow oblong opening at the bottom discloses the feet and lower part of the drapery: there are monuments of the 17th and 18th centuries to the Clarkes of Somersall, and beneath one of these a small brass to Nicholas Clarke of Brampton, ob. 1589: the church was restored in 1868 at a cost of £700, when the tower arch was opened, the aisle arches repaired, and tracery restored to the clerestory windows: there are 330 sittings. In the churchyard, near the priest's door, lies an Early English sepulchral slab, sculptured with foliage. In lieu of an ancient claim of burial exercised by Chesterfield, 2s. was formerly annually paid to the vicar or that parish for the first person who dies at Brampton after New Year's Day. The register dates from the year 1658. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £72, net yearly value £288, with residence, in the gift or the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1879 by the Rev. George Shipton, of Cambridge College, and rural dean of Dronfield. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Hollins. Shaw's, Allenborough's and other charities for distribution amount to £215 18s. 1d. yearly. The Duke of Devonshire K.G. who is lord of the manor, Sir G. R. Sitwell bart. J.P. of Renishaw Hall, Eckington, Messrs. Wilcockson Brothers and John Brown esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is light clay; subsoil, clay. The parish is chiefly agricultural; a small portion of it is woodland. The acreage is 7,915; rateable value, £19,549; the population in 1881 was 6,385.

POST OFFICE.-John Collis, receiver. Letters from Chesterfield at; 8.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 6 p.m. The nearest telegraph & money order office is at New Brampton

POST & M. O. 0., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Cutthorpe.-Clement Needham, sub-postmaster. Letters, via Chesterfield, received at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. ; no delivery or dispatch on sunday. Chesterfield is the nearest telegraph office

SCHOOLS:-

A School Board, consisting of 7 members, was formed 15th March, 1876, for Brampton & Walton; Mr. William Tom Jones, Chesterfield, clerk; S. Haslam, attendance officer

Board (mixed), Cutthorpe. erected in 1884 at a cost, inclusive of site, of about £2,000, for 300 children; average attendance, 50 boys, 40 girls & 29 infants; James Lindsay, master; Miss Annie Shaw, mistress ; Miss Amy Hopkinson, infants' mistress

Board (formerly National School), erected in 1830, for 80 children; average attendance, 63 ; Miss E. A. Tomlinson, mistress; Miss Ada Wilkinson, assistant mistress

Industrial (Chesterfield Union), erected in 1881, for 200 children; number in 1890 was 117; Harry J. Hodgkinson, master; Miss Ellen Read, mistress

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Barnes Alfred M.P., D.L., J.P. Ashgate lodge; & 105 Pall mall, London s w
Barnes Arthur Gorell J. P. Ashgate lodge
Barnes Miss, Ashgate cottage
Barnes Mrs. Ashgate house
Bothamley Charles P
Dixon George, Brampton hall
Hill Charles
Margereson Francis, Thorpe house
Margereson Thomas, Pratt hall
Moore Miss, Pratt hall
Rogers William, Pratt hall
Shipton Rev. Geo. [Vicar & rural dean]

COMMERCIAL.

Barlow John B. colliery proprietor, Broomfield colliery
Bonsall Samuel, farmer, Wadshelf
Botham William Drabble, auctioneer & farmer, Londsley green
Bothom Wm. mason & farmr. Cutthorpe
Bower Wm. farmer & carrier, Hib hill
Bowler Charles, farmr. Up. Ashgate frm
Bradley William, farmer, Wadshelf
Bradshaw Edmund, farmer, Frith hall
Bradshaw Jn. Thos. cowkeepr. Woodnook
Bradshaw Joseph, farmer, Birches
Brampton Reading Room & Library (John Mee, superintendent)
Collis John, shoemaker, Post office
Crookes Ellen (Mrs.), butcher & farmer, Cutthorpe
Cutthorpe Reading Room & Library (Mrs. Ann Turner, superintendent)
Dixon George, farmer, Hall farm
Drabble John Hibbert,farmer, Hollins hl
Fidler Elizabeth Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Priestfield
Fisher George, New inn, East moor
Fox Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Froggatt Benjamin, grocer, Wadshelf
Froggatt Hezekiah, farmer, Wadshelf
Froggatt Jason, farmer, Stonelowe
Froggatt John, farmer, Freebirch lane
Froggatt John Turner, farmr. Wadshelf
Furness John & Co. quarry owners, Moorhay
Gilling Thomas, farmer, Cutthorpe hall
Hall Elias, farmer, East moor
Hall John, farmer, Wadshelf
Hancock Charles, farmer, Up. Newbold
Hancock James, Fox & Goose P.H, Wigley green
Hancock Thomas, farmer, Freebirch
Hancock Thomas, farmer, Cutthorpe grn
Hardwick Dorothy (Mrs.), farmer, Cutthorpe
Heath Joseph, farmer, East moor
Heath Joseph, sen, farmer, Rod Knowle
Hill Charles, joiner, East moor
Hill Edward, farmer, Rod Knowle
Hill Joseph, farmer, Rod Knowle
Hopkinson Samuel, farmer & gamekeepr
Hudson Margt.(Mrs.), farmer, East moor
Kay Joseph, farmer, East moor
Littlewood Elizh. (Miss), frmr. Bagthorpe
Lowe George, cowkeeper, Woodnook
Lowe Jas. shopkpr. & farmer, Wadshelf
Lowe Robert, Gate inn, Overgreen
Mansfield George, farmer, Wadshelf
Margereson Francis & Sons, quarry owners, Thorpe house
Margereson George, farmer, Pratts hall
Margereson Petrer, farmer, Wadshelf
Marples George, blacksmith & farmer
Marsh Benjamin, stone mason & farmer
Mason Ann (Miss), farmer, Cutthorpe
Mattingley Charles, farmer, East moor
Mee John, beer retailer, Cutthorpe
Mitchell Jsph. farmer, Caus ho. Ashgate
Murfin Thomas A. farmer, Wigleys
Needham Clement, rate collector & post office, Cutthorpe
Needham Herbert, basket ma. Cutthorpe
Nelson Thomas James, gardener to Alfred Barnes esq. M.P., J.P. Ashgate
Newbold Elizh.(Mrs.), farmr. Wadshelf
Newbold George, blacksmith, Wadshelf
Newbold John Steele, farmr. Free Birch
Newn George, farmer, Rod Knowle
Nichols Chas. joiner & wheelwt. Cutthrpe
Nicholls George, blacksmith, & Peacock P.H. Cutthorpe
Nicholls Wm. John, farmer, Cutthorpe
Pearson Samuel, farmer, Bluster castle
Preston Christr. Cutthorpe hotel, & frmr
Robinson Edward, wood carver & dealer in antiques, Woodnook
Robinson Jane (Mrs.), farmer, East moor
Shemwell John, farmer, Leadhill
Shipley Isaac, George & Dragon P.H
Silcock William, farmer, Wadshelf
Simpson George, cowkeeper, Cutthorpe
Slack Joseph, cowkeeper, Woodnook
Swann Benjamin, farm bailiff to Bernard Lucas esq. Birley
Toplis William, quarry owner, Ridings
Turner Frank, monmntl. msn. Cutthorpe
Turner Gervase, cowkeeper, East moor
Turner Mary (Mrs.), beer retlr. & farmr
Turner Peter, stone mason, Cutthorpe
Vickers Arthur, farmer, Stonelowe
Walker Charles, farmer, Wadshelf
Walker Peter, grocer, Cutthorpe
Waterhouse Edward, farmer
Wilcockson John, farmer, Broomfields
Wilcockson Samuel, farmer, The Yews
Wilson James, farmer, Cutthorpe
Wragg Herbt. joiner & farmer, Grove frm

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

Village Links

More on site information about Brampton and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills