Township in the parish of Bradbourne. See Bradbourne.
"is a chapelry belonging to the parish of Wirksworth;
the village contains about sixty houses and the inhabitants
are, chiefly, engaged in the pursuits of agriculture.
Not far from the church, on an eminence, is the mansion of
Francis Hurt, Esq.; it is pleasantly situated, and commands
an extensive prospect. The manor of Alderwasley; together
with Ashley-Hay, and part of Crich-Chase, were
granted by Henry the Eighth, to Anthony Lowe, Esq.
In the reign of Charles the First,
Alderwasley, was a seat of a descendant of the above-mentioned
gentleman, who by his fidelity and attachment to that unfortunate
monarch, became a considerable sufferer from the civil wars,
which then distracted the kingdom. Tradition says, that a party
of the parliamentary soldiers from Hopton, paid this ancient
house three different visits, and stripped it of every thing
that was valuable".
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
"in Domesday called Elstretune, was at the compilation
of that record included in the lands belonging to Roger de Busli
: and the manor was held by one Ingram, at the annual rent of
thirty shillings. Tradition says, that this town was built
by Alfred the Great; and
that its name is derived from its founder: It is also said that
he resided here, and even the spot is shewn on which the palace
In former times, the town and liberty belonged to a family, that
took its name from the place : one of whom, Robert, son of Ranulph,
Lord of Alfreton, was the founder of Beauchief Abbey, and had
erroneously been noticed as a participator in the murder of Thomas
Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury. Mr. Camden says that "a
few years after the building of the Monastery de Bello Capite,
commonly Beauchief, (about the time of Henry III.)
the estate of the Lords of Alfreton, for default of heirs
male, went with two daughters to the family of the Cadurci or Chaworths,
and to the Lathams in the county of Lancaster. The share
of the latter was sold to Chaworth, in whose family and name
the estate continued till the time of Henry the Seventh,
when it was conveyed, by the marriage of an heir general, to
John Ormond, Esq. whose heir general carried it in marriage to
the Babingtons of Dethick, by whom it was sold to the Zouches of
Codnor-Castle. It was afterwards purchased by the Morewoods,
and in that family it continued from the early part of the seventeenth
century to the death of the late possessor, who left it to his
widow, since married to the Rev. Mr. Case, who afterwards assumed
the name Morewood. The family seat stands in a high and pleasant
The living of Alfreton is a vicarage; and the church, which is
dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient rude structure, having an
embattled tower, with pinnacles. It is a market town, with a
market on Friday. The number of houses in the parish is about
472, of which about 200 are situated in the town, and contains
2400 inhabitants; they are chiefly employed in weaving stockings,
and in the neighbouring collieries; and a few derive support
from the manufacture of brown earthen-ware".
In the Deanery of Chesterfield.
(Alchementune) A hamlet in the parish of Longford. "There
was formerly a chapel at Alkmonton but the font is the only
present remains of it".
In the Deanery of Castillar.
"Allestree, or as it is called in Domesday Adelardestreu,
is a village, situated about two miles to the North, of Derby.
The living is a donative curacy : and the church is dedicated
to St. Andrew. It formerly was one of the churches belonging
to the Abbey at Darley".
In the Deanery of Derby.
"is a hamlet [in the parish of Youlgrave], containing about
twenty-two houses whose inhabitants are chiefly employed in the
pursuits of agriculture".
In the Archdeaconry of Derby
[Alsop-in-the-Dale] "anciently Elleshope, is another
chapelry in the parish Ashbourne. The church is dedicated to
St. Michael; and the whole liberty contains about fourteen houses".
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
"This parish, at the compilation of Domesday, belonged to
the Abbey of Burton; whose Abbot held 5 carucates of land there. Aplebi was
at that time a considerable village, and valued at 60 shillings.
It is situated partly in Derbyshire, and partly in Leicestershire;
the church standing in the latter county. The manufacture of
stockings, and the pursuit of agriculture, form the principal
supports of the inhabitants".
In the Deanery of Repington.
"Ashbourne or Ashburn is neat market town,
imbosomed amid hills, which rise around it on every side,
and confine within them a rich valley, through which, the
river Dove, rolls its water. The view of the town, from the
top of the hill, on approaching it from London, is particularly
delightful. In the deep rich valley below, the town is seen,
overhung with beautiful high grounds, at the back, as well
as the front. The descent to it by the turnpike road, is
the finest walk imaginable, being fenced on the inner steep
side with a handsome railing, and having a thorn hedge on
the outer side. A small rivulet, called the Henmore, divides
the town into two parts, the most southern of which is denominated
Compton, anciently Campdene. The houses, are, chiefly
built of brick, and rise on the side of a hill.
At the time of the Norman survey Esseburne was a royal
manor , and had a "priest and a church". At this time
the town was the property of the king. King John granted it
to William de Ferrers, Earl of Derby; but on the rebellion of
his son William Ferrers, in the succeeding reign, it was seized
by the crown. - Edward the First bestowed
it on his brother, Edmund Crouchback, Earl of Lancaster. Roger
Mortimer, Earl of March, procured from Edward III. for
his son, a grant of the Wapentake of Risley and Ashbourn in the
Peak, being parcels of the lands of the late Edmund, Earl of
The manor of Ashbourn then became the property of the Cockaynes,
a very ancient family, whose principal seat, was at this place
for many generations: the last of this family, died at the end
of the seventeenth century without issue.
The manor of Ashbourn then became the property of the Cokes of
Melbourn, from whom it was purchased, in the reign of Charles
the Second, by
Sir William Boothby, Knt. and Bart. The family of Boothby is
thought to be of great antiquity, and is supposed to have sprung
from a person of that name, mentioned in the reign of king Egbert,
who lived near a thousand years ago. The first who is ascertained
with certainty to be an ancestor of the present Baronet, is Richard
Boothby, who was living in the third year of queen Elizabeth.
His grandson, Henry Boothby, was created a Baronet by king Charles
the First, by letters
patent, dated November the fifth, 1644: but, owing to the civil
wars, the title did not pass the great seal. However, his son
William, was knighted by Charles II. in
the field; and at the restoration, the king renewed his patent
gratis, by the name of Sir William Boothby, of Broadlow-Ash,
the former patent being of Clator-Clote. The present Sir Brooke
Boothby, (well known as a great classical scholar and an elegant
poet) is a lineal descendant and the male heir of the above.
The present church of Ashbourn, which is a fine specimen of Gothic
building, was erected in the thirteenth century, as appears from
a memorial in brass, commemorating its dedication to St. Oswald,
discovered a few years ago, on one of the walls of the church.
The inscription is in Latin, in ancient abbreviated :-
"In the year from the incarnation of our Lord, 1241, on,
the twenty-fourth of April, this church was dedicated, and this
altar consecrated, in honour of St. Oswald, king and martyr,
by the venerable Hugh de Patishul, lord Bishop of Coventry."
This church at Ashbourn, together with the chapels, lands, tythes,
and other appurtenances, belonging thereto, were given in the
time of Edward the Confessor, by William Rufus, to the Cathedral
church at Lincoln.
In former times, there stood in the neighbourhood of Ashbourn,
a chapel dedicated to St. Mary. Some years ago its remains were
taken down, by Sir Brooke Boothby ; prior to which time, it had
been used as a malt-house.
The present church is built in the form of a cross, with a square
lower in the centre; terminated with a lofty octagonal spire,
enriched with ornamental workmanship, and pierced by twenty windows.
The, roof is supported by several pointed arches; the interior
is spacious, but not commodiously disposed, though galleries
have been erected for the, convenience of the congregation. It
contains several monuments, erected to the memories of the Cokaines,
Bradburnes and Boothbys ; and in the windows are numerous
shields of the arms of different families, in stained glass.
[There then follows a description of the beautiful white marble
monument to Penelope Boothby, aged six, not included here]
Near the church, a noble monument of philanthropy presents itself
in the Free-Grammar-School, which was founded, in the time of
queen Elizabeth, by the voluntary contributions of Sir Thomas
Cokaine, Knt. William Bradburne, Esq. and "divers well disposed
citizens of London, being born in, or near to Ashbourne on the
Peak, combining their loving benevolence together, built there,
with convenient lodging for a master, and liberal maintenance
This school is under the patronage and direction, of three governors
and twelve assistants, to be chosen from among the resident householders
of Ashbourn who are incorporated according to the patent of Queen
head Master is to be of the degree of Master of the Arts, and
has a house and garden for himself and family adjoining the school,
with about one hundred pounds a year salary : the under-master
has, also, a house, and about thirty pounds per annum. The children
admitted into this school, must be those of the town, or its
immediate neighbourhood. There is another Free-School at Ashbourn,
for educating poor boys and girls, the master and mistress of
which have a salary of about ten pounds each.
There is also, at the south-east of the town, a neat chapel,
and a row of alms-houses, for the admission of six poor men or
women, erected and endowed, in 1800, by a native of Ashbourn
of the name of Cooper. This person, when a boy, followed the
humble occupation of brick-making, but having been disgusted
with the employment, he went to London, and by frugality and
persevering industry, acquired a considerable property. Hospitals
for the reception and support of aged and decayed housekeepers,
have also been founded here ; as well as one for the maintenance
of four clergymen's widows.
The town of Ashbourn, according to the ascertainment of the late
population act, contains 459 houses, and 2006 inhabitants. The
markets, which are held on Saturday, supply an extensive neighbourhood.
It has also a considerable support from its cattle-fairs, of
which no fewer than seven, are held here yearly, to which great
numbers of horses, oxen, sheep, pigs, and wares of various descriptions,
are brought for sale. The trout caught in its river, the Dove,
afford a delicious treat, of which most travellers choose to
partake. Its fame for cheese, it is unnecessary to mention ;
an article supplied by the dairy-farms in its neighbourhood;
which are chiefly engaged in the manufacture of it.
The parish of Ashbourn extends partly in the Wapentake of Wirksworth,
and partly in the Hundred of Appletree. In the latter are the
hamlets of Clifton, Offcote, Underwood, Yeldersley and Hulland,
together containing about 105 houses.
Near the town, is Ashbourn-Hall, a seat belonging to Sir Brooke
Boothby. It was from remote antiquity, the residence of' the
Cokaines, one of the most eminent families in Derbyshire. Their
residence here may be traced, with certainty, from the time of
Henry the Third, to that of Charles the Second, when they sold
the estate to Sir William Boothby.
[There then follows a description of the house, not included
... Sir Charles Cokaine [sic, it was Sir Aston Cockayne],
in the time of Charles the Second, was the last of this family
who resided at Ashbourn.
He was a considerable sufferer for his loyalty to Charles I.
and gave the finishing blow to an old venerable inheritance,
which began to decline in the reign of James. He was a great
writer of verses, the chief merit of which consists in genealogical
history; a subject but ill-adapted to accord with the smooth
current of the Pierian spring.
... The following article is found inserted in the church register
at Ashbourn;- "1645 August, king Charles came to the church,
and many more, and talked with Mr. Peacock." "
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
Gentleman's Magazine Library
Gallery, Derbyshire, Ashbourne
"Aisseford, is a chapelry in the parish of Bakewell
; the village is situated on the banks of the Wye, and frequently
from its lowness, called Ashford in the Water. The whole
parish contains about 130 houses and 600 inhabitants, who
are employed in cotton spinning, agriculture, and at the
Here, Edward Plantaganet of Woodstock, Earl of Kent, and after
him, the Hollands, Earls of Kent, and more recently, the Nevilles;
Earls of Westmoreland, had a residence; of which the only vestige
now remaining, is the moat that surrounded the castle. This estate
was sold by the Earl of Westmoreland, to Sir William Cavendish,
the favorite of Wolsey, and still continues in the Cavendish
family, being the property of the Duke of Devonshire.
"The Marble Works in this village, where the black
and grey marbles found in the vicinity are sawn and polished,
were the first of the kind ever established in Great Britain.They
were originally constructed about seventy years ago, by the late
Mr. Henry Watson, of Bakewell : but though a patent was obtained
to secure the profits of the invention, the advantages were not
commensurate with the expectations that had been formed. The
present proprietor is Mr John Platt, of Rotherham, in Yorkshire,
who rents the quarries at Ashford, where the black marble is
obtained, of the Duke of Devonshire; as well as those where the
grey marble is procured, at Ricklow Dale, near Moneyash. These
are the only quarries of the kind now worked in any part of Derbyshire.
The machinery is somewhat similar in construction, to that described
in the marble and spar works at Derby; but it is worked by water,
One part, called the Sweeping Mill, from its circular
motion, is also different; by this, a floor, containing
eighty superficial feet of marble slabs, is levelled at the same
In the Archdeaconry of Derby.
"MONSAL-DALE, is a most pleasing sequestered retreat, is
at a little distance to the west of the road leading from Ashford
[The description of the Dale is not included]
"The parish of Wirksworth contains, ... the hamlets of Caulow,
Biggin, Halton, Hitheridge-Hay and Ashley-Hay, consisting
altogether of about 80 houses".
In the Deanery of Ashbourne.
"is thought to be of place great antiquity as in Domesday Essovre had
a church and a priest. The living is a rectory, and the church
is dedicated to All-Saints. In this church, is a very ancient
font, supposed to be Saxon: the pedestal upon which it stands,
is of stone; the lower part is hexagonal, the upper part circular,
and surrounded with twenty figures, in devotional attitudes,
embossed in lead, which are cast in small compartments. There
are in the church, also, several monuments, coats of arms, and
inscriptions, relating chiefly to the ancient family of the Babingtons,
one of whom was knighted by Edward the Third,
at Morleux in Brittany, of which he was appointed governor.
The number of houses in the liberty is about 321; the inhabitants
are chiefly employed in the mines, and the manufacture of stockings.
On the declivity of a hill on Ashover common is a rocking-stone,
called Robin Hood's Mark, which measures about twenty-six
feet in circumference; and, from its extraordinary position,
evidently appears not only to have been the work of art, but
to have been placed with great ingenuity. About two hundred yards
to the North of this, is a singularly shaped rock, called the Turning
Stone, nine feet in height, and supposed to have been a rock
At a little distance from Ashover, is Overton Hall, a
small but pleasant seat belonging to Sir Joseph Banks, the intelligent
President of the Royal Society, whose continued exertions in
promoting the best interests of science and philosophy, have
rendered his name deservedly illustrious. The ancestors of this
Baronet, became possessed of this estate, by marriage with the
heiress of the Hodgkinson family''.
In the Deanery of Chesterfield.
Gentleman's Magazine Library
[Aston-on-Trent] "When the Norman survey was made "in Aestune and Sedelau (Shardlow)"
there were "six ox-gangs and half of land to be taxed. There
is one plough in the demense and four villanes and two bordars
with one plough and four acres of meadow Ucteband holds this
of the king. It is worth five shillings".
... At present the liberty at Aston contains about one hundred
houses and five hundred inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £29 15s. and yearly tenths £2
19s 6d. The church is dedicated to All-Saints; and several of
the Holden family have been buried in it. From the charter of
Robert Ferrers, junior, Earl of Derby, it appears that two parts
of the lordship and tithe of Aston, were given to the priory
of Tutbury. The hamlets of Shardlow and Wilne lie within the
parish of Aston:- the former contains about seventy houses, and
the latter eighteen. A few stocking-frames are the only appearance
of manufacture to be met with in the parish; but a considerable
number of hands are employed navigating the barges up the Trent".
In the Deanery of Derby.
(Etelauue) Chapelry in the parish of Bradbourne. See Bradbourne.
See Hault Hucknall.
Notes on the above:
 Egbert was King of Wessex 802-839;
Alfred the Great reigned 871-901; John reigned 1199-1216; Henry
III reigned 1216 - 1272; Edward I reigned 1272-1307; Edward III
reigned 1327-1377; Henry VII reigned 1485-1509; Elizabeth reigned
1558-1603; Charles I reigned 1625-1649; Charles II reigned 1649-1685.
 Robert de Bakepuze founded
a hospital at Alkmonton for female lepers dedicated
to St. Leonard (this is from Cox: "Churches
of Derbyshire", Vol III, pub 1877). It was
re-founded in 1406. The Norman font that was found
in the grounds of Old Hall farm was reused in the
new church in 1843. The Lysons (1817) said that at
Domesday the manor was held under 'Ralph under Henry
 Ashbourne's Free Grammar
School - Queen Elizabeth's - was founded 1585
 Though not mentioned
by Davies, the Lysons brothers also record the townships
of Newton Grange and Sturston as within the parish
 Sir Aston Cockayne, son
of Thomas, baptised on 20 Dec 1608 at Ashbourne,
died 13 Feb 1684. The Lysons recorded that: "In the
year 1671 he [Aston] joined with his son, Thomas
… in the sale of Ashborne Hall and other estates
to Sir William Boothby, Bart." Queen Elizabeth's
Grammar School in Ashbourne used to own a portrait
of Aston Cockayne, most probably by the 17thc portrait
painter, T. Leigh (this information from a research
project by the National Museum Wales). The portrait
was sold to a private collector in 2004. QEGS had
also owned a portrait of Dame Mary Cockayne, Aston's
An Ann Andrews book transcript